'Extreme' exhaust fumes ??

Jeffds1360

On 05/08/2021 at 12:52, Jeffds1360 said:

I was just reversing off the drive to go for a run in the sun when my wife, returning from shopping, walked round the corner a hundred yards away. Naturally I stopped to speak with her

All she could say was "you can smell that car a mile away"

I interrogated her as to what she could smell..... all I got was ' exhaust fumes'. Not petrol, not oil not 'hot' just 'exhaust'.....

Is this an inherent thing with small triumphs or should I check my mixture again? (Plugs are chocolate brown, vacuum is 18, revs at 750, compression is 136+/- 2, oil is clean and I'm not loosing any)

Wimin!!!??? Sometimes a pain, sometimes useful :)

There are lots of possibilities, of course.

Before I would start dismantling too much( and with the greatest respect to your spouse) I would pause to consider if this could be “wife-speak”.

Accurate translation is never  easy ,but it could be, “ I don’t think you should be going out in your car right now”  or “I don’t like it “ “Why on earth did you buy that thing?”

:) 

No. She is quite savvy and was, in a previous life, a sniffer dog for the FBI

At least her nose was. She is so sensitive, eg. if someone is using a clothes softener in their washing machine she walks across the road to avoid it !!

• Haha 1

That  is very  interesting - has she always had what amounts to  “hyperosmia” ?

Ocassionally people with this  earn a very good living by having the rare ability to detect minute traces of smell - in the chemical industry -trace  fragrances etc, and there has been some recent interest in how such folk can diagnose certain  human conditions by “ smell” - some tumours and Parkinson's disease ( where,  strangely an individual’s loss of sense of smell can be an early, almost diagnostic sign ) 

Sometimes  this heightened sense of smell is associated with a tendency towards migraine.

I would think heavily fragranted laundry products and aerosol room sprays etc must be quite overpowering.

52 minutes ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Sometimes  this heightened sense of smell is associated with a tendency towards migraine.

Very interesting, my wife has an extremely keen sense of smell and has suffered from headaches the whole of her life. 

I'll tell her she's special and get some brownie points😇

Iain 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, johny said:

Unfortunately that can be a rather expensive option and you have to sell the car anyway

I've got rid of 2 wives, still got the car!

At the last court hearing she said "He's got a sports car! :angry:"

Judge said "Really, what's he got?"

She said "A GT6!"

Judge said "If it's anything like the GT6 I had he's welcome to it! :lol:"

db

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chris A said:

47° F = UK, most of Europe

47°C = Greece & Turkey

In both cases those temperatures aren't what I want when on holiday 😅

It’s 47 Celsius, and I’m working, not on Holiday.  Spending 4-5 hours a day outside with factor 100 sunscreen.  Drinking 1.5 litres of water or isotonic drink an hour !!!

156F2C4C-CF95-4207-A4A3-9047ECD9C994.jpeg

69CCB9A5-6F11-4B72-90A8-D7E78901250A.jpeg

You know what, if I had not started this thread I would not believe how it has wandered..... but I like it!

A quick flick through the posts and I seem to think I have an isotropic wife with a high temperature,and unique properties who can differentiate between catalytic and non catalytic emissions.. so who needs an MoT tester?

Plus.... I dare not fart anywhere near her! 

1 hour ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

There’s often a quite marked genetic element to migraine itself.

So does that mean if she puts a bung up each nostril it will stop the migraines? 😤

It was 52C when I visited the Aswan Dam. Only lasted 15 minutes before it was unbearable. The shock of getting out of an air-conditioned coach was enough to give you a heart attack! 

36 minutes ago, KevinR said:

It’s 47 Celsius, and I’m working, not on Holiday.

That's ok then, because at those temperatures the holiday would be ruined 😁

I hope the car has self opening doors as I wouldn't want to touch the door handle at that temperature.