Ironic Timing.

Wagger

My Vitesse is now ready to roll. Just a few cosmetics and small jobs to do that can be done in between runs. Just in time for Winter eh? I'll bet this has happened to quite a few members.

Shame fuel is hard to find and it does use a bit more than I would like, being a 2.5 litre.

Ironically, my everyday car will not be ULEZ compliant next month and some relations live within the London circulars. Will have to use the Vitesse then or pay the dues. Better go and do some good old fashioned maths. (Will 160miles at 25mpg cost more than th same at 45mpg plus the £24 fee, I wonder?)

It is time to look for a good pre-1981 car to use as the main vehicle I reckon. 

17 hours ago, Mathew said:

What the hell is everybody else in london going to do next month!!!!! Have they all been sleepwalking or praying?

Plotting Citizen Kahn`s Assassination, Maybe?.

Definition of LEZ and ULEZ schemes:- "A method by which the population can be fleeced of more taxation". This being on the understanding that they are assisting in altering some Fairy Tale called Global Warming?. The product of which can be spent on Grandiose schemes designed to enhance the status of the controlling Cadre?.

YES. I know I AM the ultimate CYNIC.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

some Fairy Tale called Global Warming?

If you really, seriously, are a climate change denier then frankly, sir, your opinion on this counts for nothing because your head is stuck so far down in the sand that we can't even see your arse. Global warming is absolutely real, proven and undeniable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

To resort to name calling as you are upset at his position

It wasn't name calling, it was a statement of (conditional) fact. Those who flatly refuse to accept the clear evidence of reality will inevitably have nothing useful to say because they are building their opinions on fantasy and lies. This is simple truth, despite all the recent PC nonsense about respecting everyone's beliefs equally. Beliefs based on nonsense are going to be nonsense.

I have no idea whether Pete really is such a person. I hope he isn't.

It wasn't a "minor part in his contribution". It was fundamental to his argument. If you remove the denial of reality from his post then the whole of the rest of it falls apart.

Also, I'm not belittling anyone. If I see somebody labouring under a serious fantasy delusion, basing their beliefs on that, and don't make any effort to correct them, then what does that say about my opinion of them? Surely I'd have to consider them worthless to be so utterly blase about their foolishness! That would really be belittling!

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

If you really, seriously, are a climate change denier then frankly, sir, your opinion on this counts for nothing because your head is stuck so far down in the sand that we can't even see your arse. Global warming is absolutely real, proven and undeniable.

I half expected that might upset someone. But the "undeniable truth" is massively over-hyped. by a media with one agenda, to generate income, And at the very least we "sceptics" have seen if not it all, 99% of it before, lets face it only a few years ago we where heading for an Ice Age!. The whole object is making even more money for those already minting Dollars on the backs of those least fortunate. The biggest "con" of all is that if the UK went negative on CO2 tomorrow. China's output alone would negate that inside 24hrs, our pathetic contribution is a pure waste of time and our (tax) resources, which could be put to better use. But you obviously have your own agenda, which in my view you are perfectly entitled to, just as I understand have I. And yes I am, and remain always the ultimate Cynic.

PS. I already have my second "ring", in fact I have 4 but they are on my uniform.😀

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

I wish you would tell India and China that NM, most of us are doing our best and they are making a mockery of it sadly......

Bill. 

• Like 1

when we had smogs and fogs  real pea supers they had not invented global warming 

its only come about since we cleaned up

while there is now bright clear blue skies the sun is surely going to heat more up  so cleaner becomes hotter 

how does that idea fit ??? does it have an element of fact or is it nuts ???

Pete

Dunno how this digressed to this extent, but it should be on a different forum. If mankind did not exist, the Earth would gradually become warmer as the sun ages. Any 'Main sequence Star' does causing different extremes on the way. The Earth and Moon will, eventually, face each other so that each only sees approximately half of each globe. Very long day and night. If you put more energy into a system, the extremes become more extreme, like pushing a swing.

Long before that event, the extreme difference between day and night temperatures will have caused many catastrophes. The timing of this is about the same as the Sun taking to become a Red Giant and envelop us. I will be long gone by then.

Not much of that is rocket science, just plain pure physics.

I just look after my own little bubble and those in it..

16 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Dunno how this digressed to this extent, but it should be on a different forum. If mankind did not exist, the Earth would gradually become warmer as the sun ages. Any 'Main sequence Star' does causing different extremes on the way. The Earth and Moon will, eventually, face each other so that each only sees approximately half of each globe. Very long day and night. If you put more energy into a system, the extremes become more extreme, like pushing a swing.

Long before that event, the extreme difference between day and night temperatures will have caused many catastrophes. The timing of this is about the same as the Sun taking to become a Red Giant and envelop us. I will be long gone by then.

Not much of that is rocket science, just plain pure physics.

I just look after my own little bubble and those in it..

Just the natural life cycle of a planet, but we have given it one hell of a push.

The current terminology now seems not to be planet warming but climate change.

The climate is changing, has changed. Just do a little googling about the reduction in size of glaciers.

Must go as we need to get into our polute-o-mobile to drive to a restaurant to eat some environmental unfriendly lump of meat washed down with non eco responsible fermented fruit juice that has been transported from the south of  the country to Brittany rather than drink local cider.

So there! 😁

• Like 2

Of course you are right. This is not the forum. The main thrust of my "comment" was primarily about the ULEZ-LEZ`s. These are going to improve peoples living conditions?, To quote Jim Royal "My Arse". How is financially crippling thousands of people who currently rely on non compliant vehicles and forcing them to rely on a non existent 24hr transport system going to improve their lives?. It's pure knee-jerk media seeking politics. Nearest City to me is HULL, they currently have created miles of "cycle only" lanes. Net effect? One lane of motor vehicles crawling and stop starting, using more fuel and creating more emissions, and an empty lane alongside which gets you a £90 fine if you use it. If these people had brains they could be dangerous.

Pete

I think it's a confirmed fact that the Earth is getting warmer; the problem is, as Chris says, that humans have accelerated it past the normal rate. What I do object to is being made a) the scapegoat and b) the whipping boy for all of the other countries in the world. The UK contributes 1% of the world's emissions. We could all walk for the rest of our lives and not even make a dent in emissions. Why then do we have to bribe, with large sums of money that could be spent on our own overstretched infrastructure, countries like China, Brazil and India to cut down on their emissions? Won't it affect their people too? Why are WE being penalised for it all? It's like punishing burglars by putting decent people in prison in the hope they'll feel guilty.

On top of everything else we have a volcano currently spewing out more fumes than a fleet of ancient buses which I'm sure my staying at home all day really off-set.

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

that could be spent on our own overstretched infrastructure, countries like China, Brazil and India to cut down on their emissions? Won't it affect their people too? Why are WE being penalised for it all?

Trying to steer clear of politics but i think it comes down to these, and others, being considered 'developing nations' by the UN and when climate change became a mainstream issue they were exempt from many of the decisions/agreements made. 

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Why then do we have to bribe, with large sums of money that could be spent on our own overstretched infrastructure, countries like China, Brazil and India to cut down on their emissions? Won't it affect their people too? Why are WE being penalised for it all?

As Dick says. Plus:

- The climate crisis has been building for a century. It's our fault, not Brazil's or China's.

- The only reason our local carbon footprint is so small is that we've exported all our manufacturing. If you measure the true "consumption carbon footprint", and especially if you do so per-capita, we are much worse than China.

- Our infrastructure isn't overstretched when compared to India or Brazil. To reduce our carbon footprint and help them out costs us a bit of discomfort. For India to do so alone would consign them to real poverty. Which of those seems fairer?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeteH said:

Of course you are right. This is not the forum. The main thrust of my "comment" was primarily about the ULEZ-LEZ`s. These are going to improve peoples living conditions?

Pete

Yes, they do, and is why they were introduced.

Particulates, especially from Diesels, cause the early deaths of thousands of people in the UK. But also the number of people who suffer daily with debilitating lung disease is much higher.

ULEZ is pushing operators to update their fleet to cleaner vehicles which is a real benefit to those living in the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

The climate crisis has been building for a century. It's our fault, not Brazil's or China's.

Again, one of those arguments that can be skewed in whatever direction you want. Poor countries being made to dance to the UK's greedy and polluting tune. How we forced them to become major polluters and how unfair it is now to ask them to stop so that perhaps we all survive. Anyone know a good supplier of hair shirts?

16 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Naval Wardroom etiquette was not to talk about sex, politics or religion at the table and mentioning a ladies name was strictly taboo, with the usual fine a round of port which could be expensive. The latter is more difficult now!

Which is? Buying port or mentioning a lady's name?? :)

3 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Naval Wardroom etiquette was not to talk about sex, politics or religion at the table and mentioning a ladies name was strictly taboo, with the usual fine a round of port which could be expensive. The latter is more difficult now!

But that's sailors for you.....