GB sticker no longer valid

johny

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Posted on a motorhoming website earlier this Morning:-

Having a great trip through France, did the right thing and put our new ‘UK’ stickers on the Moho and amazed at how many French have asked us if we’re from the Ukraine! 😂

Pete 🤣

That's because "Grande Brettange" - GB - works for the French, and also for the Germans, " Großbritannien", the Dutch, " Groot Brittanië" and many other languages.   "Royaume Unie" would mean we use "RU".      Would you rather be taken for Ukranians or Roumanians?    "UK" means nothing as an International Registration Code.

As for being unfriended by the world, it is we who have unfriended ourselves from the second biggest economic union in the world, and been spurned by the biggest, with whom we had always thought we had a 'special relationship'.    But one should not mock, for on our behalf our Government has negotiated 69 trade treaties since Brexit!    Including with Albania, The Faroe Islands, Kosovo, several African countries, Moldova, Palestine and the Ukraine.       Global Britain Indeed!

John

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

So if that is the case i can see why we should name ourselves and not let us be named by others. India similarly renaming there cities. Not that any of this really effects me as my globe trotting days are over.

That's one thing I always wondered about - we called it Calcutta, they call it Kolkatta. Bombay is Mumbai. That's fine; but then again, that's what WE called it. Why is that often seen as wrong? Read some of the old books from Victorian times about the Hindoos, or the Zooloos - that's just how it was spelt. Mao Tse Tung is now Mao Zedong, and we all feel much better for it. 

Great Britain refers to the size relevant to Little Britain ie Brittany, and I have heard detractors ask: what's great about it? Well, for one thing, the size... if you can find a bigger Britain, go ahead...

At home we have some great laughs at my brother in law and his son, who is referred to as 'Wee John' while his father is 'Big John' - innuendos aside, he's six feet and in his twenties now, so taller than his father.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's one thing I always wondered about - we called it Calcutta, they call it Kolkatta. Bombay is Mumbai. That's fine; but then again, that's what WE called it. Why is that often seen as wrong? 

I'm glad you see it that way as 'we' call London, Londres. The Thames is of course La Tamise and you all know about La Manche.

Boris? We don't have A word for him but a whole string of gros mots. 🤭

On 02/10/2021 at 16:35, Chris A said:

Passing through Vanne today spotted a pub:

Le Glasgow. It proudly proclaimed it sold Guinness.

On holiday in Puerto Vallarta Mexico, I discovered Carlos O'Brien's bar which sold the black stuff. Sadly tasted nothing like it, likewise the Newcastle Brown ale I sampled once in Vancouver.  :(

Doug

32 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

On holiday in Puerto Vallarta Mexico, I discovered Carlos O'Brien's bar which sold the black stuff. Sadly tasted nothing like it, likewise the Newcastle Brown ale I sampled once in Vancouver.  :(

Doug

just proves you should go native

• 5 months later...

I have an old oval, slightly embossed, enamel painted GB aluminium plate; AA manufactured with their logo, small, centred. I internet ordered a similar sized oval self-adhesive UK sticker, and stuck it on the back. I have manufactured a swivel mechanism from centre bottom of the sign and will rear 'parcel shelf' mount it. 

So, I can see from inside the car my lovely old vintage AA GB plate (and not have to mount it externally, risking having it nicked), whilst clearly displaying the now correct (I think!) UK sign to the external world, Rozzers, Flics et al !! But all from within the cabin! 🙂

In town last week we spotted a car with the now illegal GB sticker on the back and shortly after a Tesla with UK one. the family from the Tesla appeared out of the hotel where the car was parked and my wife started to speak to them, she'll speak to anybody, pointing out that when the first UK ones were seen here people thought they were Ukrainian. the family thought it funny and said maybe they'll be treated better. They were on their way to their maison secondaire at Brantôme and asked if we knew it, we do lovely place.

I doubt a French gendarme or policier will bother about GB or UK - as long as you don't park on his foot!

I actually had to go out and look at what was on the number plate of my modern. Shows how much I care...and still don't. The idiots making these laws/rules should worry about more important stuff, like not lying to their 'Honarable Friends' and the general public. Manifesto pledges cancelled (file under fiction), partygate, not answering direct questions. Politicians, put them all on the 'B-Ark' (apologies to Douglas Adams) Morning rant over!!

12 hours ago, Anglefire said:

It was changed because the UK includes NI but GB doesn't - its always officially quoted as GB & I. 

Every time the papers talked about Rishi Sunak and his intention to increase NI recently I was thinking: here we go again, someone's going to blame us for the tax hikes...

3 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I know it's a political statement so apologies now, but maybe someone should take all the politicians to inspect this border thingy at the bottom of the Irish Sea......and leave them there.

With the level of "cut backs" in recent times. Do the Navy have suffient "Wet Suits and B-A Sets"?.🤣

Pete