Metrinch spanners and others.

Wagger

In year 2000, I was given a set of Metrinch combination spanners from 9mm to 22mm as a leaving present. They are approximately the same shape as Torx, in fact, they fit male Torx admirably. Obviously, they are only six point and a bit cumbersome because they are quite thick in section.

However, I have found them very useful on partially rounded off nuts and bolts. Also when you need to hold both ends of an assembly.

In my conventional collection there are sets of BA, BSW, BSF, A/F and metric BUT nothing fits 2BA nuts or bolts other than a 2BA spanner. (maybe worn 7mm). I have saved all of my old spinners and box spanners in this size donating 'Spares' to friends and relations.

It was a very common size in the electrical industry.

4 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

I don't think I would rely on them in a high torque situation or in lieu of the commonly used sizes but when in the campsite and you find that one pesky rounded nut that nothing else fits/grips reassuring to have another option. 

I wondered about their atributes viz strength etc:. But as said usefull to perhaps have in the car itself?

Pete

Before Chemotherapy, I had enough little whiskers to warn me when my head was approaching an obstacle. Now, I have banged it so often that it looks like Mr Potato head after the potato has been used to arm a spud gun.

I am thinking abput implanting bits from the scrubbing brush. A woolly hat is ok, but too hot. The 'Brian May' wig is even hotter.

Spud Gun`s!, now there`s a blast from the past!. One of those things that got you into trouble occasionally. Nicking the spud`s from the veg bag, Mother always knew!. I swear she must have counted the Murphy`s. Along with home made "guns" that fired elastic bands. I have a collection of Baseball Caps, save my skin on occasion. Winston Churchill gave my dad one of those tin jobs, (well not personally).

Pete

9 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I have a set of these guys, actually made up from two sets to get the full range, but they're great. They bite into the rusty nut so there's no slipping; of course the removed nut is usually then scrapped but they've been a great help over the years.

kikknmqrimklthktinksrkkotqtkkrssmmojDJAZ.jpg.250c18a2aa7748d8c1a7254a260351bc.jpg

I have these, they are very good. When Sears was still around in the US I would browse the Craftsman section and always come out with something interesting from their wonderful range of ‘get me out of trouble’ tools.

....... Andy 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Mine are by Irwin, for some reason they came as a five-part set in a ten-part box, so nothing would do until I located the other available sizes. They've done a great job over the years.

R.99665b1df0f978b3d597804394b603e5.jpg.163a0dd382c5edb27c688b4225a997fb.jpg

Irwin make, or did make, stuff that was relabelled snap-on. (mate was national sales manager for Irwin, I acquired quite a few Irwin tools when he was working there. Most very good quality. Got a set of snap-on easi-outs somewhere that I have never used, again from him. He now works selling abrasives for another HUGE company. And yes, I do get the occasional parcel of discs, always really nice quality, much better than the ones that I actually have to pay for)