Steering wheel to column nut thread size?

To quote that one: "After some careful measuring I think the early thread is 9/16 x 28-UNIFIED. 

The unified thread series covers UNC, UNF, UNEF and several constant pitch series: 4-UN, 6-UN, 8-UN, 12-UN, 16-UN, 20-UN, 28-UN and 32-UN."

I hadn't remembered that thread but it narrows down to a range of likely suspects, not the exact thread. It's not the nut, which I can buy easily enough, but the tops of a couple of Herald steering columns that have become distorted, so I want to clean those up before fitting any nut. I don't have a die in that size so it's to avoid visiting the In-Laws and dragging the entire workforce around a bench for an hour with all kinds of charts, thread files and gauges while they all debate over coffee and then blame me for keeping them back. :)

Typical!!. Cannot find my "Zeuss" charts!!. Sod`s law!.

I think, from remote memory, 9/16 UNF was indeed 24TPI?. It`s a 60 deg thread form?. Which would make (about) 1mm pitch? If you need a (very) rough check?

Just to complicate matters, Some online sources State 9/16 UNF to be 18TPI! (1.4mm pitch) and 3/8 UNF is 24 TPI.

I may get the definitive later. IF I can find the OLD steering column. Which got "archived" when I put the PAS unit in.

Pete

I've lost one complete with steering wheel that I rebuilt a while back. It's got a leather steering wheel cover that I wanted for my latest Herald, but I can't find it. Wheel and cover, column, new bushes, stalks and housings, all renovated... and all missing. Hence the reason for having to remake another, which has worn threads... :(

Can't generalise as variations across the years (e.g. dolly not same a gt6)  but 9/16 Whitworth is definitely one that was used commonly.

Whit's 12tpi on 9/16. For unified on 9/16 UNC is 12tpi, UNF is 18 tpi and UNEF 24tpi.

If 105438 was for GT6 then Whit is the most likely.

Whit and UNC can be hard to tell apart but they are not interchangeable due to the different thread form.

I could possibly be wrong here but several years ago I looked into this. Apparently, the thread is a cycle thread which could be (memory again) 24, 26 or 28 TPI. They were made (outsourced) by a firm producing cycle parts. Once again, I could be wrong but somewhere I have a 28TPI fine cycle thread die which I used with success!

• Like 1

That would compare with what I found too. I dug out the old 13/60 column and my thread gauges. The Thread is 28TPI and 55deg thread form. The O/D is 9/16". But the Nut (strangely) is a dead ringer for 27mm!.

Nut.thumb.jpg.40a297edf5406c006c84d5864d7982a5.jpg

Thread.thumb.jpg.92abc00f791fc86c9b9a10ff26f9d01b.jpg

27mm Is near to 5/8 bsf?. But a better fit is 1-1/16AF.

However British Cycle thread.  9/16" is only 26TPI and a 60Deg thread form?.

Pete

any idea its whitworth has to be a classic  Triumph Typo    as 9/16" BSW  is 12TPI  a right coarse thread form 

and   less than half the  measured 9/16 x 28TPI 

if the nut was 12TPI it would be well chunky   , but its a nice fine thread  one reason gorilla's  have managed to strip so many

Pete

BSF. is only 16 TPI. so that don`t fit Either!.  No BSP sizes come anywhere near?. Browsing the "net" I have come across reference to UNFS? which is allegedly Unified Special threads. But nothing (so far) matches 9/16 x 28TPI?. I thought in a 60 year, world wide, career I had come across them all. It exists, I have one, but what? I am unsure?. And this comes up on E-Bay (Australia). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152292227571

If the threads are still in reasonable condition A BSP (28TPI) thread file might restore to an acceptable standard?. (1/8BSP is 28TPI but only 3/8" (9mm) O/D)

Pete

9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

9/16" UNS can be 28tpi - look at the TRacy Tools webpage   https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/brass-cycle-special?page=2

Roger

I saw that. But the website is "potentially compromised". So I declined to look. But the Australian E-Bay item suggests likewise. that UNS (special) sizes are "out there". I suspect they will be 60deg thread form?.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

I saw that. But the website is "potentially compromised". So I declined to look. But the Australian E-Bay item suggests likewise. that UNS (special) sizes are "out there". I suspect they will be 60deg thread form?.

Pete

They are a standard (60 degree) UNF thread form but with a special TPI

Roger