Gearbox Identification, Herald/Dolomite type

Sidd

Ive got a WE unit and I think its was decided to be from an Dolomite 1850 but a very early type same as Vitesse/GT6 HC or KC units with small main shaft tip and small synchro rings. Its input shaft should stick out further than the other gearboxes you have....

CB and WE are the easier ones, but did the TR series use the same gearbox casing for the earlier models? Their prefixes are CT, LE and LF, so possibly LG could be a variant? CC and CD boxes were used in the heavier TRs like the TR6, so might be an option for DC? I've found nothing closer to LG or DC so far.

Similarly I was trying to check MG gearbox numbers or Standard models but nothing yet.

I've seen more than one CB box (might actually have one) and will post a photo if I can find it; it doesn't look like a bad stamping if I remember correctly.  DG is another Dolomite box.

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

did the TR series use the same gearbox casing

No. I think all the TRs from 2 to 6 used the saloon type gearbox. Similarly, the only MG / Morris application of a Triumph box was the single rail type, so that's not it either.

I agree with scrapman that the LG is probably a badly stamped DG.

That fits in with the quality of stamping you sometimes see! Perhaps thats being unfair though, maybe they only had 30 seconds to do it before the box was whisked off on the production line and, if not, a car would be delivered somewhere without a gearbox😁

On 06/11/2021 at 21:04, DanMi said:

the number really doesn't mean that much anymore, the case could have any gearset in after 50 years plus of recons and they may well have been re-stamped.

Restamping or overstamping is very noticeable. This one started off as FK and ended up as GH. 

DSCF0415.jpg.32b7ebc5dbed542298a582a55fdbd4aa.jpg

People always talk of matching number cars where all components are the originals, so where a Triumph with its' original rebuilt engine is always going to be considered worth more than a replacement unit, I suppose the same is true of gearboxes.

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

the originality thing is a bit nuts .............triggers broom comes to mind 

or  Henry's head chopping axe    same old ???

Pete

Possibly, but imagine you're buying yet another Triumph ( :) ) and the owner tells you he's had the original engine rebuilt. Sounds good. You go to look at another one and that seller tells you he's thrown away the original engine and stuck another one in from an identical car. To many, that means the first owner was caring enough to look after his car and repair any wear; the second was possibly more practical or maybe a cost-cutter. It all depends on what you want but the guys who spend big money on classics seem to put store by it. It doesn't really matter as much in a £50 Herald... but it's a bonus.

Some of those numbers do look odd as the stamps are clearly different sizes (particularly CB 253192 so not from the same set. Could it be that a reconditioner bought a lot of cases and stamped them, with their own codes. Not sure that anyone would care about a matching no gearbox as they were never recorded outside of the production line and the numbers didn't match like on some manufacturers.

also, Did the New Zealand assembly plant use different codes?

My understanding of AMI Aussie CKD assembled cars was that engines, gearbox's and diff's came out from England fully assembled so would have UK numbers stamped on them.

For confusion the Spitfire G/B I recently rebuilt uses the MG 1500 Single Rail internals that I put into a 3 Rail Box that actually has a GT6 case & number!

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

People always talk of matching number cars where all components are the originals, so where a Triumph with its' original rebuilt engine is always going to be considered worth more than a replacement unit

It is completely irrational, though I do like that my Vit has org engine (maybe due the engine, considered the heart of the car?), (and to a much lesser extent, things like wiper motor, dynamo, dizzy, as well, A good chance org, as same date stamp on them as car year?). Though as GB is a J Type O.D bitza, I'm just glad it has an O.D.

It's definitely, not a value issue, more, I'm just probably a bit higher on the Spectrum, than average, which is ok.   

Thank you for all the responses. Was hoping for an easy way to identify expected contents of the boxes but will need to do some counting and measuring. All the markings look original so a collection of production line 'freedom of choice' stamps. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...