Coping with storms.

Wagger

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

We have quite a few locally, ugly damn things, 12 alone visible from our old house and all up and down this East Coast and lterally dozens and potentially hundreds out in the North Sea. In high winds they appear to be feathered?. I know when they are not in service they rotate very slowly, which I am given to understand, is to stop the bearings from impacting the races?. I don`t think they are ever "braked", except perhaps for Maintenance work to be carried out?.

We have 3 locally, invisble from our house and mighty arrays off Brighton to Portsmouth now. Dunno how they coped with Eunice. They are not Visible from Eastbourne, yet!

Loads on Romney Marsh that spend 20% of the time not generating anything. Wind is a bit of an 'All or nothing' power source.

A bit delayed, but the storm Eunice (whats left of it) has obviously reached The Åland Island. My Volvo V70 should be in that pile of snow. Somewhere...

DSC00854V70.JPG.3d9341c116ee534829d647073a467ef4.JPG

DSC00856V70.JPG.31eb8e8d034d768ec1ad9c8d2e56fe2f.JPG

All ferries to Sweden has ben cancelled, we are isolated for the moment.

/Roger

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I see you've tied a string to it, so you can find it again...

Its still snowing a lot so I might have to follow the string to find it tomorrow! I'm glad I took the opportunity to do some welding outdoors a few days ago when it was sunny. No more welding for a while...

• 1 year later...

Revived this thread due to Ciaran.

I was expecting far worse this morning, but it ducked into the Channel after Cornwall to attack France and Jersey before returning to Kent.

My sympathy for those who have suffered. I am keeping an eye on the local Lake which is 1.3 metres above normal (Was a metre below back in June). If it rises another 3 metres, will have to move into the Moho and escape. It has not done that yet, current record is 2.2 metres above normal. If only it would stop raining.

In London it's not that windy or in fact raining that hard. What has been alarming over the last week is the high tide level of the Thames. In 22 years I've never seen it as high. We are only 50m from the Thames but fortunately on the second floor. I assume the Thames Barrier has been doing it's bit to save us from taking the dinghy to the shops! 

Iain 

The eye of the storm passed over London, so we didn't get much in the way of wind even 10 miles or so north. Here in Hertfordshire the heavy rain has arrived and winds are due to peak at c. 40mph gusts around 5pm, so nothing too dramatic, luckily for us.

Gully

53 minutes ago, KevinR said:

Didnt even realise there was a storm here in Cambridgeshire - a few rain showers and that was it

Ditto here on the Surrey/Berkshire border, working in central London today and the same.

The Thames is looking ominous though, a few years ago the Eton flood relief scheme was completed, basically it pushes the water further downstream towards the plebs so their Cricket pitch stays dry.

S

1 hour ago, trigolf said:

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that the Thames barrier will need modifying/improving to cope with global warming flood levels...😕

Correct but I think I'll be pushing up the daisies by then. I've asked my wife to sprinkle me on the Thames. It my be a short walk! 

The Thames here was about 2m below the river wall. How many glaciers is that? 

Iain 

Ice that is floating will not make a great difference to sea levels when it melts. Ice that is on land will. Then, the temperature of the water will make it expand. The Earth's crust may flex outwards where it once held the weight of ice, and flex in where is has more water weighing it down.

As per usual, the answer is never simple. Too much for my brain.

If you live on the top of a hill, you are less likely to be flooded but more likely to be blown away or struck by lightning. Live on the side and beware of water running through instead of past. Definitely do not live in valleys unless you are a duck or a fish.

I have been watching Cormorants of late. What a bird, it can swim underwater, dive and fly. Should have been called a Thunderbird.

2 minutes ago, Wagger said:

I have been watching Cormorants of late. What a bird, it can swim underwater, dive and fly. Should have been called a Thunderbird.

At certain times of year we have 40-50 on a disused pier next to us. Aggressive yes....Cormorants win over seagulls! 

Iain 

16 minutes ago, Iain T said:

At certain times of year we have 40-50 on a disused pier next to us. Aggressive yes....Cormorants win over seagulls! 

Iain 

The Shinewater here has Electricity Pylons on islands across it. 40 to 50 roost on the lines every night. There must be a load of food in the lake. We have Grebe too, a really wonderful bird.

If birds had 'Out evolved' us, they would be masters of all. No need for any fuel other than food.

15 hours ago, Iain T said:

What has been alarming over the last week is the high tide level of the Thames.

This was to be expected and 'normal' given the Spring (high water) tides coincident with the below average barometric pressure combined with heavy rainfall run-off.  Height of tide this morning in Chichester Harbour is just shy of metre above prediction.

50kn winds on Wednesday night, not a cloud in the sky this morning!

Dick 

2 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

50kn winds on Wednesday night, not a cloud in the sky this morning!

Grey skies but no wind today, forecast is for sun next week😎

Chichester is high on my when we leave London where shall we go list. A direct view of water is a must for us. 

Iain 

I suspect we have "got away" lightly this time. Some of the near Seaside towns got a bit of a battering, and the local dog walk beach has gone (again). The "glass" was down to 26.6" yesterday (903mb) but the winds where not excessive, barely Force 4-5 or 20mph. Wet day driving to and from Hospital. Today we have a fresher breeze, but sunny with some high cloud, I am making some Electric (1.8Kw/h currently) for the first time in the last few days.👍 Parts of West Yorks have suffered (the Don Valley for one) and I am told York it`self is under flood alert.

One issue that always comes up, every time there is flooding, is WHY do planners allow building on KNOWN flood plains?. Is it "brown envelopes"?.

Pete

6 minutes ago, PeteH said:

One issue that always comes up, every time there is flooding, is WHY do planners allow building on KNOWN flood plains?. Is it "brown envelopes"?.

If you can find a planner who isn't at his/her villa in Spain please ask! 

If you want crazy planning come to Tower Hamlets. 

Iain 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I was looking round Emsworth/Hayling area last Monday with a view to downsize.

We thought we would take a tour of the south coast to hone the list. Folkestone seems to be on the up but haven't been there for decades. For the wife and I the power of the sea is mesmerising......providing I'm not on it in a small boat! 

Iain 

I have an affection for the Hayling area as I have been going since I was about 5, my Gran used to have a caravan on a lovely site near the sea front, 12v car battery black and white TV, Calor gas lights, toilets in freezing block 100 yards away. Me and my brother loved the freedom.

Wonderful memories, always loved being near the sea.

S

• Like 2

My daughter works in Newry; floods everywhere. My father-in-law is in hospital near Portadown; floods everywhere. Our area almost exactly half way between the two? Blazing sunshine, too warm for coats, almost no rain, only one approach road closed due to a weak bridge, yet we're on the Insurance Company's registers as a flood risk.

Incidentally: here's one for debate - a lot of the houses and businesses that have been destroyed by floods had no insurance; some householders interviewed blamed the rising costs of living so they didn't insure. They're calling on the Government to reimburse them. Is there a moral responsibility to assist them financially, and how does that leave those of us who do pay Insurance?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

a lot of the houses and businesses that have been destroyed by floods had no insurance; some householders interviewed blamed the rising costs of living so they didn't insure. They're calling on the Government to reimburse them. Is there a moral responsibility to assist them financially, and how does that leave those of us who do pay Insurance?

Insurance is a complete waste of money - until you need to claim. Maybe they should sue the government as it is their fault they didn't stop global warming/changes in time.