The lost tailgate

Ian Faulds

Recently bought a tailgate for my mk3 gt6 on ebay, it was holed but restorable condition,the origonal was too far gone, was really looking forward to making all the repair sections to bring it back. Big box comes by parcelforce, it's a bloody dog cage, they've mixed the labels up. The seller and I have both been on to parcelforce  but I only have low hopes. Really annoying  as it's such a unique  part and they rarely come up. 😭 keep your fingers crossed for me this coming week.

The dog cage came from pets at home obviously through parcelforce,  it's them that's messed up, I'm hoping they can sort it. Surely the expectant dog cage owner is looking for it but pets at home might just send them another. I'm hoping whoever got my tailgate has also complained to somebody. 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

my favorite  remind me of stuff fiddled out of local car and truck factories 

A mate used to work at one of the big Belfast factories and periodically the management would put on spot checks at the gates and search cars as they left.

He told me the piles of stuff thrown out of car windows along the driveway as they approached the gates was unbelievable.

30 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

periodically the management would put on spot checks at the gates

I got pulled over for a spot check on the way out of the Rover Gaydon site (now Aston Martin, I think) once. They asked me to open the bonnet. Granted it was clearly not that car's original bonnet but it was a 25 year old Triumph Vitesse that had been driven to and from that site every work day for a few years in that state.

Getting spot checked was normal if you had to pull over because you were driving a development car that needed paperwork to leave the site, but they never queried the thousands of pounds worth of IT equipment sitting in the boot.

Back in the 60`s I had a spell at Hawkers factory at Brough. They where still building Bucaneers for South Africa. One Lunchtime a Guy fell of his bike just by the gatehouse, The security guy went to help him up, to find he had 2 5gallon drums of Paint, with a rope around his neck and balanced on a short plank across the cross bar, all under his Mac!!. The stuff that went out of there was legendary. One guy on Nights, would ride out about once every two weeks on his motorcycle with sidecar attached. He was making the sidecars at work, ride the bike in solo, attach side car and ride out next morning, He was selling to order!.

Pete

There's a joke about that, involving wheelbarrows... you probably all know it. However there's an old joke from the 1930s when Hitler was rearming Germany in secret; a man was working in a pram factory and as his wife was expecting a child he decided that every day he would steal one part of a pram and eventually would end up with a complete one for his new baby.

"Funny thing is," he told a mate down the pub, "every time I get so far, it starts to look like a tank...."