Fuel Pump choice.

Paul Amey

I thought about converting to electric after breaking two mechanical fuel pumps, there are early and late ones for the Vitesse, but stuck with a rebuilt mechanical original. Some threads on here about the quality of the repro ones, also I would have wanted to wire in some sort of auto shut-off for an electrical one,such as wiring involving the oil pressure switch or alternator warning light for example.

Regards

Paul.

Hello All

I had one on Spitty before EFI they are good as you can fill the floats before engauging the starter(I know about the oil bit but a good filter on a good engine is no problem!)

I am fitting one to the Vitesse and getting rid of the noisey one that pumps all the time and needs a regulator.

Plus they come with a 5 year warranty

Roger

ps do fit a cut out switch though.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, I'm going to fit one to my 1500 Spit, in the engine bay. The very basic instructions dont show the orientation. The supplier reckons mount it vertically with the pipework on the top but this would leave the manufacturer's label upside down, which seems strange. Also, where EXACTLY have you fitted yours? Any advice would, as always, be very much appreciated! 

Derek.

My car was fitted with an Airtex E8016 pump with a fillter. I have reverted to the glass bowl mechanical one as this had no shut off and pumped at 4psi.

However, it will lift fuel at least half a metre above the level in the tank. and will suck through the valves on the mechanical pump. I have used it to prime the system and drain the tank. I have left it in situ in the engine bay so that it can be connected up within ten minutes, having suffered a few delivery problems of late. If you fit one in the boot, the whole system after the pump will be pressurised, so you need to ensure all pipework can cope.

The Airtex one works in any orientation.

I plumbed it 'After' the mechanical one so that it can pump directly to the carbs. It has been permanently 'Plumbed in' like this in the past. Connecting it to the ignition fuse in an emergency has proved very useful as a 'Get me home' measure.

The mechanical one wil deliver 1.5lb at the carbs via this, and the Airtex will make 3psi sucking through the mechanical one.

If the priming arm is tied up, the mechanical pump is disabled and acts as a filter. I can see the fuel in the bowl. It has been a very useful set up for fault diagnosis and draining the system.

Not too much of a 'Faff' either.

6 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

I think it can be mounted at any angle except vertically with the wires at the bottom!

interesting what mode of operation is this electric pump that presumably the pump is at risk if mounted this way, jst want to know out of interest.

5 hours ago, Wagger said:

If the priming arm is tied up, the mechanical pump is disabled and acts as a filter. I can see the fuel in the bowl. It has been a very useful set up for fault diagnosis and draining the system.

Never thought of that when I fitted an electric pump as a pusher in the boot I could have avoided having to find unusual fittings/unions with the right threads to remove the mech pump but use its suction and delivery male screw in union pipework. I had to go to an old contractor who I used to use for Instrumentation & process control work & rummage thro his odd ball stock for the bits BUT I did also source a couple of old stock brass oil damped 3in pressure gauges Budenberg not Chinese sh*t with the range 0/100psi and a 0/10psi, handy for checking Overdrive operating pressure (mates making an electric motored jig for?) and fuel pump delivery pressure, plus chewed the fat for a couple of hours about old times and absent friends!

My Airtex pump works in any orientation. I am pretty sure that it is a solenoid with a non return valve. If it ever fails, then I will cut it open to find out. It seems reliable and has been used to pump fuel from tank into cans, and the other way too.

I have used it in the past when plumbed in series to prime the system by connecting it in parallel with the starter motor. That way it only runs when turning the key. Takes about half as long as using the mechanical one only when the car has stood for more than two weeks.

Since replacing carb bits and fitting new gaskets to the float bowls, this has not been necessary.

Roger, when I asked the supplier, they said to mount it with the pipe connections at the top and the wiring at the bottom, but that would leave the manufacturer's "label" upside down! The label is etched in to the surface, for want of a better description, not stuck on, that tells me what you say is correct.

Derek.