Triumph Herald / Vitesse footrest

Paul H

On Spitfires not Vitesse and therefore presumably the GT6 as the starter motor is on the drivers side and the gearbox tunnel is therefore wider on that side.

can’t remember one on my Herald 1200 in the 60’s.

othees may know more and correct the above

• Thanks 1

I have a number of them on the shelf so must have come from Heralds or at the least Heralds that had been fitted with Spitfire tunnel covers sometime in their lives; I can't find it listed anywhere for the Herald itself. Never really used / needed one tho.

Part number is 613362 with the rubber cover listed as 611822. It appears in the early Spitfire Parts Manual but not the Herald 13/60, and is still listed for the later Spitfires.

41 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

t appears in the early Spitfire Parts Manual but not the Herald 13/60,

Surely there isn't room for one in a 13/60? I can check that out in 20 minutes as I'm taking mine out to meet a friend.

N.B. worked out the extra fuel cost of using the 13/60 compared to my diesel Yeti for the visit, due to the ever rising cost, as the cost of a coffee. As we are meeting at his house and therefore the coffee is free the overall effect on my budget is zero. . . Happy times

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Surely there isn't room for one in a 13/60?

Roughly the same space in a Spitfire as a Herald, if not less? It's probably down to costcutting or even image rather than practicality; the sportier models got it and the basic family cars didn't.

I nipped out this morning on a shopping trip for essentials, reckoned that with the cost of fuel used I could afford a cappuccino but not a choccy biscuit... we all have to make sacrifices.

My son is crying into his Budweiser. “Gas” hit 3dollar (60p/litre) a gallon in Texas, his truck does 7mpg, on a good day.

Footrests are useful when you have an Auto box? Otherwise they can interfere with rapid clutch work, especially in rigger boots

Pete

My new C4 Citroen has( had)  a large foot rest which unless you drive in stiletos  any more than a size 8 clips the rest when declutching 

its gone  .....bunged in the back of the garage ,,whats left under the plastic monstrosity is fine    its some styling nut  thinks it needs 

a cover thats just stupid  who tested these  a 18mm offset in the pedal would solve it  LHD wont have the same 

thats the answer  

they think Brits have small tootsies 

they also say the aerodynamic rear hatch doesnt need a rear wash wipe    obviously only tested in the sunshine   

the real answer is you cant fit one due to the spoiler design      but its a great car for everything else   

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Roughly the same space in a Spitfire as a Herald, if not less?

They're different because the pedal arms are a different shape, although the master cylinders are also differently spaced, so it's not all that clear.

I suspect the foot rest is wanted on the Spitfire & GT6 because the driver is practically on the floor, so the left foot can't rest flat because the legs are horizontal. Not that I've ever really noticed its absence on my two.

Roughly the same space in a Spitfire as a Herald, if not less?

Well, I wouldn't want one in my 13/60 after thinking about it while out this afternoon. I'd be worried about catching it when trying to use the clutch

reckoned that with the cost of fuel used I could afford a cappuccino but not a choccy biscuit... we all have to make sacrifices.

The advantages of living in France. Order a coffee in a bar and almost without fail you'll get either a small piece of chocolate or a biscuit. Yesterday fuel was at 1€99.9 but today they have had to give in and put a '2' as in 2€00.8

5 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The advantages of living in France. Order a coffee in a bar and almost without fail you'll get either a small piece of chocolate or a biscuit. Yesterday fuel was at 1€99.9 but today they have had to give in and put a '2' as in 2€00.8

Heating oil is £1.28 a litre . 1 week ago it was 87p and a year ago it was 35p 

Paul 

6 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Heating oil is £1.28 a litre . 1 week ago it was 87p and a year ago it was 35p 

Paul 

The farmers round here are ramping up their security, many have big tanks and are a target despite it being mostly red diesel.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Heating oil is £1.28 a litre .

Dearer than that here at the moment but still cheaper than diesel for the car. I'm hoping my stock of heating fuel is enough for the rest of the winter 🤞 and by the time I reorder prices will be less heart stopping.

Were currently hovering around $2Aus here for 91 Octane petrol, late last year it was around $1.10A, Gas heating is expensive even tho we have our own supply off shore, retailers quote something about world pricing parity (what we can charge to make even bigger profits), this winter I'm going to use the house Air Cons in reverse cycle as its supposedly a lot cheaper, may need a 4th big unit for the front of the house tho, 

I'm currently hopping mad with O2; I have an old mobile PAYG phone that I use for donations so that they can't bombard me with appeals for more later on, or pass the number round to other charities... I put £20 on it on last Monday, got home, went to donate and found that O2 have taken it all for some 'Big Bundle' rubbish that gives me loads of data and unlimited texts, but no actual credit... so I added another £20 yesterday only to find that I've now paid up for March and still have no credit. I can't find out how to opt out.

21 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

On Spitfires not Vitesse and therefore presumably the GT6 as the starter motor is on the drivers side and the gearbox tunnel is therefore wider on that side.

Standard item on GT6 mk3, quite a tight fit for those with Hobbit feet.

tunnel.PNG.9fe7c4a9820b68aa95418e6caf240445.PNG

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martyn wright said:

I had a "footrest" on my Vitesse 1600/6 when I purchased the car?  It is now sitting in my Spares Bin as I was thinking of refitting it at a later date??

No hard and fast rule; if you want / need it, fit it. My shoes are size 11 so I'll leave mine out.