Not fit for purpose

Wagger

Nothing to do with the car or parts. It is me, personally. All through Chemo, and for two years after, I did 25 press ups daily with other floor excercises. I went into remission and this tailed off. Had a shock two weeks ago after weighing myself so started again and could only manage four press ups. After a few days, back up to ten. Fitted inertia seat belts on Thursday and it took ten minutes to unwind each of the four eye bolts on the old ones used monster spanner and a bar through the eyes. Had soaked the bolts beforehand too. Could do no press ups at all after that. Feeling really ashamed at present.

Looking for some excercise aids in the scrap now. Where is that Charles Atlas book?

Beware, you too, could have a body like mine, if you're not careful.

29 minutes ago, Wagger said:

could only manage four press ups

I have a hard time getting down onto the floor and back up again!

Some years ago I had to spent 6 weeks in re-education after an operation. At the start they took measurements of heart beat, blood pressure etc and how close we could get to touching our toes. At the end of the 6 weeks the same measurements were taken, out of the group I was the old one where there was no advance on the touching toes bit . .

At least I hadn't got worse.

About five years ago I noticed that my legs were getting weaker.

They were always pretty good through many sports over the years and all the up/down on the car maintenance 

Gradually they are getting weaker and weaker.

At present If I am foolish enough to get on the floor I must ensure that there is something nearby that I can use my arms on to get me back up

Next week I will be going out to investigate exercise bikes

And I'm only 72.

Roger 

I think that inertial is my biggest problem. It seems so easy these days to find any excuse for putting things off. It too cold, too hot, too windy for gardening/trimming that 30 foot tree. I know age has a lot to do with it, but I personally need a jolt to put my mind back in the productive state that it used to be in. Then, hopefully the body will follow.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

investigate exercise bikes

tried one of them   it got used to hang shirts on 

walking is best , i did (forced  to) by the girl over the road ( well she's not 70 yet) to walk with Clyde her Jack Russel 

but she has moved out and i dont go out alone in case i get lost and the yellow bus takes you home !!! to the nut house 

well it was good fun while it lasted 2years 

i suggested press ups but it was not going to happen 

Pete

• Haha 4

I know this is regarded as a "cop-out" in some area`s. But I don`t think 2 years of Chinese Virus, Lockdowns, and general misery, Has done any of us any Favours. I`ve aquired a feeling of general lethargy over that period, and mentally it is something of a struggle to force one`s self to "get on with it". My wife is now strggling with at least 3 Issues in addition to her longterm orthopedic problems. That in it`s self whilst not directly affecting me, has a knock on effect in that we having done near 60 years together is extremely saddening.

Pete.

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

Cue for the obvious song...

"We're on the road to nowhere"

As long as it's straight, as for the last few days I've been unable to swivel my head round without much ado. Left arm will no longer raise above shoulder without immense pain - really really annoying nerve pain - so I have to be careful what I do and what positions I get into. In the garage, of course.

Just been out cutting grass and at least that doesn't cause me any discomfort.

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I personally need a jolt to put my mind back in the productive state that it used to be in.

Try this one: 2.30pm today I'm standing in the kitchen holding an empty cup... then I suddenly realise: why isn't there any noise? It's too quiet. What noise should there be? I'm standing there mulling over what noise there should be. I stand here, usually there's a noise. What is it? Finally it hits me: no kettle boiling noises. I hadn't turned it on. That has worried me all day since... not that I hadn't turned the kettle on but I only realised as it was too quiet and I couldn't work out why...

Guys I'm not even 60 yet and while most of the wife's relatives are howling at the moon my side are usually the sane ones...

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

About five years ago I noticed that my legs were getting weaker

Me too and I'm only 66! I seem to have lost a lot of muscle mass over the last 2-3 years? I have lost 3-4kg in overall weight but it all seems to be muscle.....the fat's still there! I hate exercising and only do a couple of minutes a day mainly for my back. 

Time for another glass of red🍷a nice 2012 Cantemerle. 

My brother phoned on FaceTime, he asked about something.

I said "That's on my phone"

I looked for my phone, couldn't find it.

He said "I'll phone it, then you'll hear it, find out where it is."

He phoned "No, it's engaged"

It was only then that I realised I was talking to him, on FaceTime, ON MY PHONE. :wub:

Doug

You have made me feel much better guys. I hit 75 in September and hope to get back to walking three miles daily by then, and over Beachy head. Won't do it alone, so no worries.

The Orchiectomy in Jan 2020 caused a bit of muscle loss. I have no Testosterone now. That stops the Prostate Cancer coming back too soon. I had growths on the left gonad so it was essential.

I;m sure part of my weakness is due, as in Wagger's case, a lack of Testosterone. 

I'm on a hormone course to keep it down, the testersterone that is. It also keeps it down !!:blink:

I only went in for an in-growing toe nail.

Roger

6 minutes ago, Graham C said:

I am 63 and recognise most of these ailments . No hope for me.

Just lie down now.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the light!

Poetry, init. Dylan Thomas.

It means get in your Triumph and drive it like you stole it!

Doug

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you guys suffering any brain fade as well? My body, at 71, is starting to fall apart, more noticeable since I started chemo 3 months ago. ( I 'employ' my mechanically minded 42 yr old daughter to do the fiddly car bits now) but seem unable to think things through as well as before??? Maybe just a chemo fog??? 

I'll find out in another 3 month when I get a break :)

Good luck with your exercise regimes! 4000 steps a day is my target

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

who remembers the the panic of reaching 40   then 50  the 60   then 70    and the next one is only 4 years away   

should we worry or CELEBRATE   ( Not celebate )  or hibernate  I put  mintex dust in the coffee to avoid any fade 

pete

I went to a disco - sorry, nightclub - at the age of thirty and was told by a female that I was really old.

After that it was downhill all the way...

...but it's true that it's all in the mind. My uncles in their sixties were all really old men, old dark clothes or suits, they wore hats, they were all ancient-looking... so I've got six months to find an old suit and a hat.