Paint chip crisis

Quack

Today I was redoing the vinyl strip on my herald but turns out the paint at the rear is very weak, and the overlapping vinyl tore it off! Completely gutted. What’s the best way to fix all these small chips? I’m considering just completely vinyl wrapping the whole car anyway…

A93680BC-E945-43CC-8797-FCADD54C5DDD.jpeg

a toothpick may be better than a brush, a small blop in each chip. If deep it will need a couple of goes. 

I did a 500mm long split in the piaint on a bonnet using a small brush, and 2k paint (that uses hardener, so doesn't sink as much) built it up to be pround with a few goes. Then used 800 grade w+d paper very carefully, then 1500, then G3. Job done, invisible.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, clive said:

a toothpick may be better than a brush, a small blop in each chip. If deep it will need a couple of goes. 

I did a 500mm long split in the piaint on a bonnet using a small brush, and 2k paint (that uses hardener, so doesn't sink as much) built it up to be pround with a few goes. Then used 800 grade w+d pare very carefully, then 1500, then G3. Job done, invisible.

For myriad small holes a sponge dipped in paint can be quite good.

29 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I have used a cotton bud in the past, but take care that the fluffy bit doesn't part company with the stick bit.

I had a smart repair done a while ago. Chap left a tiny bit of paint is a little bottle, along with some sticks with tiny foam ends. Like a foam-bud I suppose? But it did a load of stonechips all over the car...

Cotton buds are still àvailablle from Lidl, but the paper sticks are rubbish.

I would use panel wipe and then paint. If you try to prime or undercoat you might make more mess than you want to. Then follow Clive's instructions for smoothing and polish.

So tried Halfords today, they said we don’t do colour match. Tried dulux that says COLOUR MATCH in big letters on the outside, but they wouldn’t do it either!

my car is a herald 13/60, so it can only be pine green or Laurel green. I think it’s more likely Laurel. However the Laurel I’m finding in shops does seem to be lighter than my car…

You need a proper car paint stockist.  They can match the colour - spot on.

If you are anywhere near Hanwell in West London then Colourite in Boston Manor road are good.

Or L E Went near Kingston

Roger

1 hour ago, Quack said:

I've found one after ringing around, HMG Paint in Andover. They need a piece from my car to match though. Any tips on what i can take off? (herald 13/60)

Drive the 13/60 there, let them decide what to scan 🤪

The biggest problem is, as I discovered, that over time virtually all paint will fade. Chris` A`s idea is maybe the best way of getting a match for the colours as it is.

I was repainting a door and wing on a Fiat Punto some years back. I took, part of, the mangled wing to a supplier and they matched it such that it was difficult to notice any colour change at all. especaily after I "ran it out" into the rear panels. Failing anything else I would seriously consider taking a Door, or even the boot lid?

Pete

I called up and they said it takes them a couple of days so they request you to post it in instead. Can’t see me posting a door!

was thinking of taking off some paint from the chassis behind the dashboard, however as you say I imagine this to be a different colour entirely to the outside colour.

Oh dear it really is one of the most difficult problems to solve without spending 3 grand on a repaint.

thing is…my paint is on its last legs. It comes off if you blow on it. I plan to sell the car at the end of the year so it’s not worth me paying for a respray. That’s why I considered doing a vinyl wrap myself. Or maybe…I just leave it. The paint will bring the value down though for sure.

If a car for sale is good and sound but needs a full respray, then a potential buyer may even value it higher than one with a fresh coat of the wrong colour that could be hiding all manner of bodges. Certainly, as BW says, it's likely to lose less in value than the cost of the respray.