Oil Pressure Relief Valve . . . Herald 1147cc (1970 - original engine)

Colin

1 hour ago, Colin said:

That sounds great!

Now . . . Competition for shelfspace . . .

Beer . . . or Oil?? 😁

Both. Oil in the boiler room. Beer in the 'cave' which is really just the 'arrière cuisine'.

The car gets through less oil than I do beer, but both 'leak' . .

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Colin said:

Iain SpitFire6; 

The problem with 20/50W is?? 🤔

Hi,

too thick & poor flow until up to operating temperature.
A lot of 20W50 oils are overpriced group 1 & 2 oils.
Loads of reasons.
Best to start a new thread on this as not been one for a while.

Cheers,
Iain.🤐

Apologies to Colin L for continuing, as these last few items seem to have other headings to be added under, but;

Johny:- I bought a Club electric fan a while ago, but haven't fitted it because if some articles I've read citing adverse and offering less-than-optiimum performance for these little car engines.

Is that what you were alluding to? 

C.

15 hours ago, Colin said:

That sounds great!

Now . . . Competition for shelfspace . . .

Beer . . . or Oil?? 😁

Another "Vote" for beer, although Oil is getting (even) more expensive lately. (Oil and filter for a 2009 Mercedes Sprinter = £123, (2020) and that is now 20% higher!!, Damn Putin!!)

Jury`s out on Electric fans, (My View). Where`s the "new"/"old"thread?.

Pete

Pete:- I have no idea where any previous thread about fans is. I was apologising as CL seemed to imply another thread abiut the oil type issue exists! 

I can't even remember in which periodical the adverse leccy fan was - probably the Courier.

A fabulous little real ale brewery called Goody Ales does polypins of their wonderful product here . . . Just the right size for a shelf gap!

Oil AND beer! 

Best.

C

"Ha, well the subject of mechanical/electric fans has a lot of history on here and can be hotly contested by fans (pun intended) of both"

I need to trawl previous threads, I think! Save everyone a lot of Ag.!

😁

C.

Hi guys.

I've now posted to a Leccy Fan thread that went on previously.

My thinking:- if space available, leave metal fan but also fit Leccy.

In the SE here, m'ways are mostly limited to 50mph & have loads of concertinering, often to the point of being static. Op Brock and other congestion often means inability to drive/move freely.

So, if 'twas poss to have both, the one to augment the other to assist the fixed metal fan if temps climb when static there or thereabouts, then that's a Win-Win, is it not??

Best,

C.

2 hours ago, Colin said:

Hi guys.

I've now posted to a Leccy Fan thread that went on previously.

My thinking:- if space available, leave metal fan but also fit Leccy.

In the SE here, m'ways are mostly limited to 50mph & have loads of concertinering, often to the point of being static. Op Brock and other congestion often means inability to drive/move freely.

So, if 'twas poss to have both, the one to augment the other to assist the fixed metal fan if temps climb when static there or thereabouts, then that's a Win-Win, is it not??

Best,

C.

My most recent 'Moderns' have had one Viscous fan and one electric. That way, minimal sapping of power until required and both operated on a hot day when in a motorway queue. It should be very easy to fit a viscous fan, BUT then not possible o pull the engine over to do tappets and timing. Grr! Can still put it in gear though.

16 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

too thick & poor flow until up to operating temperature.
A lot of 20W50 oils are overpriced group 1 & 2 oils.
Loads of reasons.
Best to start a new thread on this as not been one for a while.

Cheers,
Iain.🤐

Posted here as all others drift anyway.

I have had many cars that have exceeded 150k miles on 20/50 oils. Another two exceeded 250k on 10/40 mineral. Three diesels went way over 200k on Syner D. Mainly beacause I always changed it as advised.

Unless you have the luxury of a life testing lab and use many similar engines, you will never do a fair comparison.

2 hours ago, Colin said:

There is no right or wrong answer as such, it depends on each owners driving conditions. The most important thing is to make sure the cooling system is clean and functions to its best ability after that the type of fan necessary.

Back in the day out cars spent less time stuck in traffic, except for bank holidays when lots did overheat. I have said it before somewhere but the cars full of people, boot packed solid, roof racks and/or trailers loaded to the limit (and beyond no doubt).

For my part I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with big traffic problems, most of my rare local traffic jams are composed of 2 cars stuck behind a tractor for 1 kilometre. When I go further afield I take the pretty route.

I have 'upgraded' my fan from the 4 blade metal one to the 7 blade plastic 'export/hot climate' version to suit Normandy and all points south as far as the Loire. 🤪 I also, of course, have a 'turbo boost' option if necessary - known as put the heating on full and switch on the heater fan!

3 hours ago, Colin said:

A fabulous little real ale brewery called Goody Ales

Just taken a look at their website, I fancy trying a pint of the Good Sheppard Amber ale🍻

Only down the A2 from me, could be Beano time, remember those? 

Iain 

PS.  Sorry for the thread drift, I have an electric fan and love it! 

14 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Opinions change.

Yes, but the oil doesn't. Unless there's some amazing new oil that's just hit the market we go over the same range of track day / fast road / tootling about / synthetic versus mineral / ZDDP content again and again, with charts and graphs added in to illustrate what the stuff does. Can't we just have a sticky thread on it at the top of the relevant section that can be added to as required?

No objection to great discussions but some times they just seem to repeat what's in the previous topic, and it just seems 'neater' to add to existing rather than start a new one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

No objection to great discussions but some times they just seem to repeat what's in the previous topic, and it just seems 'neater' to add to existing rather than start a new one.

I quite agree colin, now while I'm here - dashpot oil . .I've already left!😱

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I quite agree colin, now while I'm here - dashpot oil . .I've already left!😱

I know... I was throwing bottles of dashpot oil at your rapidly retreating back... no use, I'd rather use engine oil.... :) Which one, though? 😙

54 minutes ago, Chris A said:
56 minutes ago, Chris A said:

"have 'upgraded' my fan from the 4 blade metal one to the 7 blade plastic 'export/hot climate' version"

Chris A:- interested! From where did you aquire, may I ask?? Steel, or placcy??

C.