20/50 oil for Vitesse

Paul H

Hi just finished my stock of 20/50 engine oil and prices have gone up significantly 

is this oil ok . My Vitesse does burn a bit though she is sedately drive about 2k per year 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254963983056?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sedlIGgKSai&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=WOrzrqDcRZu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Paul 

If not driven hard, almost any 20/50 (or similar grade) oil will be fine. 

My only caveat on this one is teh low detergent aspect. That is good if you suspect you may have sludge in the sump as it won't try to disperse it. But if you know the sump is clean inside, I would prefer a higher detergent level. 

36 minutes ago, MK2 Ed said:

Bit cheaper if you go direct through Classic Oils at Bicester, nice place too if you can collect

While on a cruise last week we got talking to a lovely elderly couple and it turned out not only did we have the same surname but his son in law owns Classic Oils Ltd. Small world isn't it! 

Iain 

42 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Club shop had offer recently on apparently good oil. I think was £18 for 5 litres + free anti drain filter. I bought 4. I think it was £87, with the delivery cost.

Up til the offer I think it was £18 for just the oil. May have gone up recently?.

Thanks Dave will check it out

Paul

I used to use Castrol GTX all the time, until it became very expensive (their 25/50 is about £35 these days) and Penrite went the same way (over £40 now), unless it's on special offer at shows, so the Herald gets Comma Classic or sometimes Millers, both under £30 at present. I cover less than 1000 miles per year these days and it's changed every Spring. 

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

You need to get out more. But, to do that you need to get the cars finished which means you need to stay in, hum . .

I was just formulating a reply then read the second part of your post... :) I'll have you know I've covered eight miles this year already. (Er Indoors did the maths and worked out it costs me £4 per mile in fuel. She's a teacher. I worked it out that it costs me 25p per mile. I think someone like her is in charge of the country's economy when it should be someone like me.)

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I used to use Castrol GTX all the time

My GT6 lived on a diet of Duckhams 20/50 (the green stuff) between 1978 and about 1993 during which time I took the mileage from 68-185K, but post rebuild has been partial to Valvoline VR1.

I think just changing it regularly and having fresh oil in the for winter when it is more likely to be standing, is probably the most important thing.

Compared to the price of synthetics our 'good ol' mineral oils are still fairly affordable.

Ian

do rockets use 20/50 oils ???  ha 

this is a good case for the anomalies within the shop  

search Oil and you get castrol @ £30

search Pennine   and you get heritage @ £20  

if you have to search by maker or type to get a result  is just a  Hopeless loss of sales 

Pete