Spitfire spring compressor

Piglet

Really tricky. Anybody offering tools to lend needs to be able to change their listing themselves, at any time. And contact details are a sticking point.

Do you want anybody contacting you to borrow £100 of tools, in the hope you may get them back in the same condition as leant out, if at all?

Best would be a club members section of the forum, and make it clear a cash deposit is to be left with the owner. And suddenly it gets complex....

The ideal situation is it is kept informal, organised via local groups. Or people can pop to my place to use my shock/spring compressor.

8 hours ago, clive said:

Really tricky. Anybody offering tools to lend needs to be able to change their listing themselves, at any time. And contact details are a sticking point.

Very tricky. I was bitten once, on this very forum - a forum member was asking for a particular book, which I offered to lend him on the condition that he returned it when finished. Off went the book, and so did he - he never returned to the forum. The problem was compounded by the fact that he wasn't a TSSC member, just using the forum for free, but it seemed like a genuine poster and he was asking for help. Tools are the same - can you guarantee you'll get them back, and if damaged, how do you force someone to pay up?

I knew a bloke once. He would never lend out his tools. If you were stuck, he would come and do the job for you for beer and bickies. His argument, and this was over 20 years ago, was that if anything went wrong, he didn't need ... 1. it on his conscience and ... 2. the court summons for damages!

• Like 1

Reluctant to lend tools.

don’t   like -

1.The feeling of disappointment and frustration when someone fails to return  them, and the embarrassment and annoyance that it can also be felt having to  ask.

2.The concern that such an “occasional user” might: 

- a.harm themselves

- b. fail to do the job right resulting  in harm to themselves and/ or others which might, somehow ,implicate me -  or result in  me trying to  sort  the mess out.

3.Return the tools  clearly damaged claiming, “They don’t work”

4.Not least..the thought that  a tool/s might be hard to get returned  when I need them myself.