Correct coolant replacement - GT6

BenWW

12 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

Use Prestone® Coolant. Good for any internal Combustion Engine.
Cheers,

Iain.

I am using a lot of that in my Heralds; two years ago Tesco reduced it to £7 per five litres on Clubcard, as a clearance item. I bought four, went back for another two a week later, forgot the Clubcard and had to pay the full £14 each.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I am using a lot of that in my Heralds; two years ago Tesco reduced it to £7 per five litres on Clubcard, as a clearance item. I bought four, went back for another two a week later, forgot the Clubcard and had to pay the full £14 each.

Even more "sad"☹️😭😭. I couldnt get the discount off the wine?. `cos the card was in the "other" car!, from filling it up the previous week!.

Pete

On 13/10/2022 at 14:18, Gully said:

The two cooling system pipes that disappear into the bulkhead are the supply and return for the heater matrix - easy to pop off and flush. If you remove the hose from the heater valve end, that gives an easy (gentle!) push-on for flushing the valve. There's a useful diagram in the Workshop manual which illustrates the flow direction in each hose.

Gully

Hi Gully, 

Are you referring to page 109?

21 hours ago, PeteH said:

Even more "sad"☹️😭😭. I couldnt get the discount off the wine?. `cos the card was in the "other" car!, from filling it up the previous week!.

Pete

For some reason I ended up with a 'pack' of clubcards, collected over a period of time and keep one in each car, my wallet and Lady BW's bag of tricks (handbag). I also have the apps on our phones which are usually flat, but the Lidl torch/power pack which I bought by accident on clearance sorts that out. Why are so many loyalty cards now an app? Much prefer a proper card...they don't go flat (yes, I know, they ARE normally flat unless used to deal with Yale locks but we don't talk about that)

OK, so most cars and heating systems cause some liquid to evaporate. How toxic is that? Looks like sealed systems should be the way forward or, something non toxic. Does such a coolant exist, other than water? Maybe bring back the air cooled stuff.

A company that I once worked for installed a waste disposal system that used pyrolysis in a block of flats. It caught everything in the basement, cooked it with the fumes going through catalysers and a water scrubber. Liquid waste went down the sewer, solids were caught in a metal cage. It produced just CO2, unfortunately, so never caught on. Should have compressed it for fire extinguishers and bottled drinks!   We experienced used chip oil, waste oil, various unknown liquids and one Ford gearbox. All in the usual kitchen waste.

Unfortunately, no Triumph bits.

13 hours ago, Wagger said:

a waste disposal system that used pyrolysis in a block of flats

The Operators installed one on a Ferry (UK - Scandinavia), back in the 70`s. It lasted about 3 Month!!, spent more time "out of service" than in use. Good idea, but not that well engineered nor thought out, The crew, and stewards where putting just about anything in it. Even worse where the "sanitory disposal units" fitted in Ladies toilets. I near got the "sack" over one of those.

Pete

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

The Operators installed one on a Ferry (UK - Scandinavia), back in the 70`s. It lasted about 3 Month!!, spent more time "out of service" than in use. Good idea, but not that well engineered nor thought out, The crew, and stewards where putting just about anything in it. Even worse where the "sanitory disposal units" fitted in Ladies toilets. I near got the "sack" over one of those.

Pete

Sadly, my last employer designed and built these machines in 2008. Under funded, under tested as usual with brits. It led to my early retirement as they would not fund the 'Life testing' that I requested. Cancelled my order, then tried to blame me six months later. I showed the whole board the cancelled order and plonked my notice on the desk after saying 'I told you so'.

Engineered properly, every home could use such a machine, washer sized, to make rubbish safe and capture the energy from it.

I know somebody who chucks everything in his old 'Rayburn' stove. His ash goes on the compost heap with the soot from the chimney. His dustbin contains metal only. He stopped using anything contained in plastic, thank goodness. Who knows what went up the chimney before then. Grows his own veg too.

8 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Sadly, my last employer designed and built these machines in 2008. Under funded, under tested as usual with brits. It led to my early retirement as they would not fund the 'Life testing' that I requested. Cancelled my order, then tried to blame me six months later. I showed the whole board the cancelled order and plonked my notice on the desk after saying 'I told you so'.

Engineered properly, every home could use such a machine, washer sized, to make rubbish safe and capture the energy from it.

I know somebody who chucks everything in his old 'Rayburn' stove. His ash goes on the compost heap with the soot from the chimney. His dustbin contains metal only. He stopped using anything contained in plastic, thank goodness. Who knows what went up the chimney before then. Grows his own veg too.

Properly controlled Burn conditions, produce very low toxic output, OK, Yes CO`2, Plastics are the bigger issue, ash makes good "soil improver" Grandad swore that soot kept the slugs from his veg?. Their house had 5 fires, in winter, so plenty to go round!!. The shipboard one was 20ft container sized and occupied a niche on the vehicle deck. It was still there "dead" when I left the vessel. One Chief Eng; Installed a system of mirrors (think Periscope) so he could watch the funnel from his cabin Porthole. Too much Black smoke and the Engine room Phone would get red hot!! with the Watchkeeper getting a right Bollocking!.

Pete

On 17/10/2022 at 13:32, Gully said:

It's this picture:

Gully

Coolant Circulation.jpg

Thanks Gully. All flushed through. Still running hot so got the fan to kick in earlier. Need to start going through the list of possibilities now. All fun and games. 😄

Try to obain or borrow a thermocouple meter. (I have one). Clamp it to the top hose metal outlet, run the car and measure what the temperature is. Unless it is, actually, boiling over, it could be a gauge reading high. It should be between 80 and 85 dg, C.

If it is boiling over, wait til it cools, remove the thermostat and test it in a saucepan filling from a kettle recently boiled.

You can also check the difference between the temperature of the top and bottom hoses. If there is not much difference, the radiator could be blocked.

Gasing from the radiator direcly after a cold start is a symptom of a blown head gasket.

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

in the past forum we even had engines changed due to duff sender unit and voltage stailiser faults 

get an infra red trigger thermometer you can point it all over the place 

what makes you think its hot    is she steaming or just the gauge readings that worry you ????
Pete

Yes, I agree, I would love to know the symptoms.