Dwell gauge/meter for points, how necessary? (especially, as I haven't got one)

daverclasper

20 hours ago, daverclasper said:

Hi.  For my car use, low milaege fairly gentle use, is it just best to use feelers?.

I understand they compesate for any wear of the plastic heel?

Cheers, Dave 

Returning to Dave's OP, this is the points gap, I presume?    Thing with those is that wear tends to raise a point on one side and a pit in the other.   A feeler gauge will bridge the pit, causing you to set a much wider gap than needed.

Using the feeler just on the rim of the points is fiddly.  One way is to drill a hole in the tip of the feeler blade!

John

I remember them in the 60’s & being gullible tried a set don’t think they lasted any longer can’t remember what make they were, presumably saved the maker some precious metal = more profit!

Would have brought them from Chapman’s Garage in Norton High St opposite Stockton Grammer great all sorts of bits and pieces in trays on a centre bench no plastic bags of things, Ah the good old days! Petrol pumps at the side of the road fill up kerb side!

Oop’s showing my age!

17 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Depending on eyesight and delicacy/coordination, can just the pip be filed off?

Yep, you used to be able to buy neat little files to do just that. Or spend an extra few minutes and take the points out, run a file over them and refit. 

"Dressing" Point`s was a regular neccessity on Old Brit; Motorcycles, with Magneteo`s, the "quality" of many condensers too was always a bit suspect. I still have (somewhere) a very thin file and, I think, a thin "wetstone" used for that purpose. Car`s of similar vintage where too needing checked regularly, as the timing drifted. The "fag paper" substituted for a feeler gauge. Only later did checking "dwell" become something we worried about. Nice to have, but never thought essential?.

Pete

Had a conversation similar to this recently.
Basically it was about the points building up on one side or another and that meant that the condenser was too big or too small.
If you have a negative earth engine and the build up is on the positive side of the points ( the moving bit) then you have to increase the condenser size.
And vice versa if the build up is on the fixed part of the points.

I hope that is correct.

• Like 1

a file would be better than sand/emery paper as they deposit grit in the contact and cause more problems 

but looking at costs of points   its hardly worth messing around they should last a good few thousand miles depending on the 

original spec or fake copies made of cheese which wont .

Pete