Best size steering wheel for a GT6

owensparrow

What is the optimum size steering wheel for a GT6 (mk3)? I struggle to get my 6' 3" frame into the seat with a standard wheel, but the steering is already heavy with the 5.5J wheels the last owner fitted. Also, wood rimmed wheels look good but are they comfortable and practical for spirited driving? 

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Owen

14" is a popular size and gives you a bit more Knee/Leg room than the standard size which I presume is 15" for a Mk3 GT6?

I had a 15" Formula Wood rimmed wheel on my Vitesse and although it looked good, I didn't find it comfy at all

I have a 14" Diameter Motolita Wood rimmed wheel on my current Classic and it's fine

I wouldn't advise going any smaller unless you've got strong arms

Gary

First of all look at the tyres fitted as youve just quoted the wheel width and for that the smallest tyre is 165 so minimising the steering weight. Plus tyre pressure makes a big difference so perhaps you could try a bit more and if better know you can then comfortable reduce the steering wheel size... 

Owen, 

I have a 14” Motolita with leather rim, much more comfortable than wood. I wouldn’t go smaller than that unless you have massive biceps. Although one of ours at East Berks has fitted power steering to his Spitfire.

Also considering your size go for a flat wheel as dished will protrude and give you less room.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Owen, 

I have a 14” Motolita with leather rim, much more comfortable than wood. I wouldn’t go smaller than that unless you have massive biceps. Although one of ours at East Berks has fitted power steering to his Spitfire.

Also considering your size go for a flat wheel as dished will protrude and give you less room.

Doug

+1

I fitted a 14" leather Motolita to my GT6 Mk3 many years ago. It's the perfect balance between a quick but heavy 13" wheel and the original 15", which is light but needs a bit of arm twirling and catches the thighs of taller drivers.

Nigel

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Really? The OP described himself as having a "6'3 frame", which suggests to me that his seating position is likely far enough back that the dish won't be a problem, and might even gain a fraction of an inch extra thigh room.

47 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Really? The OP described himself as having a "6'3 frame", which suggests to me that his seating position is likely far enough back that the dish won't be a problem, and might even gain a fraction of an inch extra thigh room.

Really? right back at ya NM. If he's 6' 3" he may also have legs like tree trunks, only he knows. But now he is aware there may be an issue with dished or flat which no one else has mentioned yet.  So thanks for your comment NM which I shall file with the rest of your comments. :)

Doug

I'm 6 foot with fairly 'standard' length legs. I have my seat fully back.

I have a lovely 'little' 12" Astrali wheel on my Mk2 GT6, which was already on the car when I bought it back in 1977. It has a slight dish.  With 175/70 tyres at 27psi front (24psi rear) it is fine on the move and manageable for maneuvering, as long as you don't expect to be able to turn the wheels like a modern p/s car.

I also have a 14.5" Triumph slotted spoke wheel (originally used when my wife was driving it regularly) which has virtually no dish. I recently tried it again (after tearing my right rotator cuff) , but had to sit and work with knees spread to get clearance. Didn't like it, so I'm back with the little one and working hard on the physio.

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster
spelling

6 hours ago, owensparrow said:

What is the optimum size steering wheel for a GT6 (mk3)? I struggle to get my 6' 3" frame into the seat with a standard wheel, but the steering is already heavy with the 5.5J wheels the last owner fitted. Also, wood rimmed wheels look good but are they comfortable and practical for spirited driving? 

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Owen

I am keen on 13" wheels, although 14" is a bit easier. The original size feels stupidly large.

Now, steering weight. As others have pointed out, tyre pressure needs to be checked, and indeed varied but remember grip is far more important than steering weight.

Lastly, most people have forgotten that you need to be moving when turning the steering wheel. Todays power steering is there because of crazy caster angles needed for split brakes. But a side effect is that it feels ok to turn the wheel when stationary. But for cars without PAS that is a big no-no. 

I would look at a decent leather wheel, motalita, momo etc. Avoid any unknown brands, even mountney are not what they were having heard of more than one breakage.

My sixfire (1500 Spit with straight six 2l engine) has 175/13s and a 14inch Motolita which is OK. My GT6 has 165/13s and a 13 inch Mountney which is very heavy on the steering. I plan to change that for a 14 inch... So if anyone has a 14 inch Mountney and wants to swap it for a 13 inch one, give me ring!

Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems that the majority favour a 13 or 14" leather clad wheel.  As I'm a bit lanky I have the seat all the way back so I figured that a semi dished wheel would be more comfortable, but Motolita don't do a dished 14" wheel, and if they did it would be a 12 week wait, unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

Thanks also to Ian for the tyre pressure dodge, that's good to know.

Anyone got any experience with the TSCC shop offerings?

I didn't realize the column was adjustable even with spanners, how much can you move it in and out?

Owen

Its adjustable by a couple of inches or so but be aware the steering column was designed to be used fully extended so that in the event of a frontal collision any impact of the drivers body with the steering wheel would be softened by the collapse of column... If you set the steering wheel fully forward there will be no energy absorption available☹️   

I've got a 13" mounty steering wheel on my mk2 gt6, came with the car 20 years ago. Didn't used to bother me parking, but starting to now. 155 13 tyres standard wheels (tempoary) 30psi, lots of effort in tight parking spaces, and I do keep the car moving. Looking out for an original 15" one, got to make parking easier. 

I'm 6' 4" so had difficulty getting in under the original wheel, and it hit my legs when changing gear or braking. I found a 13" wheel was good, but needed to be semi dished. (The 15" Opel GT wheel that I bought for a tenner looked lovely but did interfere with breathing. ) 14" was easier on steering but still hit my legs, which is the issue - the pedal comes out, the knees go up, and hit the wheel.

If you set the steering wheel fully forward there will be no energy absorption available☹️   

But lanky folks normally need the wheel to be at the top (max clearance from dash, i.e. extended) so as to clear knees.  I can't speak for Spit/GT6 but my HeraldsVits have all been 14" semi dished, height adjusted and been fine.  My son is 6' 4" with a bad back and it's fine for him.

C.

On 16/02/2023 at 17:20, clive said:

Lastly, most people have forgotten that you need to be moving when turning the steering wheel. Todays power steering is there because of crazy caster angles needed for split brakes. But a side effect is that it feels ok to turn the wheel when stationary. But for cars without PAS that is a big no-no. 

Is that because of a lot of stress on components Clive?. I assume the the UV joint seems obvious, then maybe the rack internals, maybe less so the trunnions, and then even the ball joints etc?.

Just interested, thanks

On 16/02/2023 at 22:23, owensparrow said:

Anyone got any experience with the TSCC shop offerings?

These are made to order for the club and seem very good value. Unfortunately the guy who makes them is not well (heart attack🙁) and so they are currently unavailable. I believe he is ok so they may become available again at some point.

Thank you very much to everyone that replied, I went with a Mountney 13" semi dished, and it's fine, much easier to get in and not too heavy parking. 

It has however throw up another issue with my newly purchased GT6, the car doesn't like turning sharply, it's as though the diff isn't working, I need lots of throttle or it stalls, and the whole car feels uncomfortable until the steering lock is reduced.

Anyone got any ideas? ( It had a diff rebuild 4000 miles ago, I think) 

10 minutes ago, owensparrow said:

the car doesn't like turning sharply

No, of course it doesn't. Have you seen how stupid the full lock is? The front wheels are pointing sideways! So when you remember that this is a rear-wheel-drive car, you're trying to push the tyres off their sidewalls, and unsurprisingly they resist. That's why you need extra throttle. It's perfectly normal. Just don't use full lock.