Today a dashcam video.

68vitesse

I hate these scooters. It looks like a legal hire one? If not he's illegally riding on a public highway. I've never seen a scooter hand signal but then with small wheels and instability it's probably dangerous to do so! I've noticed around here very few illegal scooters but masses of electric bike hires littered on pavements. I have been know to move them and inadvertently they have fallen over😂. Well they're heavy and I'm not getting any younger..... 

A good blaspheme reduces your blood pressure! 

Iain 

16 hours ago, andybeau said:

they got a good talking too

My wife's banned me from verbally engaging with the many idiots on mainly electric bikes and scooters on our pedestrian pavements. They are illegal and I tell them so but on one occasion a guy stopped and squared up to me and could have got nasty. With the amount of knives about I've learnt to hold my tongue and inwardly seethe! 

Iain 

• Like 1

Yes, they can be dangerous, and like some supporters of firearms and dangerous dogs, "It's not the dog/gun, it's the owner!"

But Paul, why were you so surprised by him taking the right exit from the junction?  He moved into the right hand lane (no back ward glance, and with a left indicator going!) into the clear, safe space you had left between you and the next car,  with obvious intent to go right.  So back off, then put him behind you and you out of danger, on the straight!

Safe driving/riding involves observation and anticipation.    Just as you would stay well clear of a ticking bomb, leave plenty of space on the road for idiots to have their own accidents!

John

Edited by JohnD

It's legal to use an e-scooter on private land with the permission of the land owner. Where a trial rental scheme is running, it's legal to use a rental e-scooter on a public road or cycle lane, provided you have the correct licence and follow road traffic regulations. (The Met; Police).

And:-

Technically, an electric scooter is a motorised two-wheel vehicle or Personal Light Electric Vehicle (PLEV). They differ from electric bikes not just because they don't have pedals but because they are classed as motor vehicles under the road traffic laws.

If you were caught on a public highway, you'd technically be driving a motor vehicle with no insurance - you could be liable for a fixed penalty of £300 and six points on your driving licence. If the case went to court, you could get an unlimited fine and be disqualified from driving. Your scooter could also be impounded by the police. Even if you did have a model that followed the rules, you'd also need to obey other law to use it - tax, insurance, MOT, driving licence and helmet.

Non of which the "scooterist" in the dash cam clip appears to have?.

Pete

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

Where a trial rental scheme is running, it's legal to use a rental e-scooter on a public road or cycle lane, provided you have the correct licence and follow road traffic regulations. (The Met; Police).

True but not ridden on the pedestrian pavement. We have two companies selling legal pay for hire here, Boris bikes and Lime. The Boris bikes have to go back to their docking station but the Lime bikes can be dumped anywhere. Consequently we have discarded Lime bikes (they hire scooters as well) littered on pavements. It's these Lime bikes that are bloody annoying as hirers seem to like stranding them in the middle of pavements. With the appalling standard of driving here (many cars pass with more than a whif of cannabis) I wouldn't feel very safe on a bike and definitely not a more unstable scooter. 

I've never seen an illegal scooter stopped by the police. 

Iain 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjit said:

You see them discarded everywhere but I've only once seen someone actually riding one...

Around here yes as if the residents can't get their take away food and gallons of bottled water delivered they use the bikes/scooters. I see a lot mortally wounded Limes thrown on the pavement with broken chains, flat tyres, slashed tyres (not me judge). 

There is currently "talk" of a similar scheme being rolled out in HULL. The illegal use is already a safety hazard to both pedestians and the the users from vehicles who don`t expect them. And are surprised when one suddenly cuts across to to make a right turn with no warning.

So now they "propose" legalising their use by persons who probably have even less knowledge of the "rules of the road" via the Hire of these Death Traps.

Mind as an American Friend of mine is wont to say, "every dumbass death, only helps clean the gene pool".

Pete

Melbourne has an ongoing trial of both scooters and bikes and has similar issues, Melb City Council has complained about their dangerous use both on roadways and footpaths BUT nether less has extended the trial, go figure? I drove the DILaw into a company dinner recently and driving thro the inner city the blasted things were dumped everywhere so much for the worlds most livable city!

Here in France several cities have these 'trottinettes' available, Lime being one of the rental companies. There have been quite a few accidents with them including deaths. They have become such a pest that Paris recently had a referendum as to whether they should be withdrawn. The result was a big yes and they have been taken off the streets.

In Nottingham we have "for hire" scooters and bike, both are a pain. They are limited to the city only so you see the left at the city boundary.

It appears our A&E is busy patching up people who have fell off the scooters. In the county we just have private ones wizzing down the centre of roads without lights. 

One scooter I see must be travelling at 20mph at least, no helmet, etc ear plugs in. 

Graham

I have seen these within half a mile of my door at night, and only seen them because they were silouetted by an oncoming car. Even had one pedestrian walking the white line. I stopped and asked him way. All he did was give me a glazed stare and raise a thumb.

Anyone who rides these things without a helmet and good clothing must be brain dead surely. I have almost been bowled over by these overtaking me on paths when walking the dogs.

Why do we need electric bikes when a good pair of legs can provide all of the power and excercise necessary to keep fit? I never buy grand-kids powered toy cars etc. Pedalled ones YES.

15 hours ago, Wagger said:

Why do we need electric bikes when a good pair of legs can provide all of the power and excercise necessary to keep fit? I never buy grand-kids powered toy cars etc. Pedalled ones YES.

I was talking to a friend yesterday at an event and he cycles everywhere, to work and back along miles of country roads, and doesn't own a car but recently has developed knee problems. He has bought an electrically-assisted version for when things get too tough to carry on cycling. 

Remember the old sub-50cc mopeds you used to see everywhere, that had to be pedalled uphills as the engine wouldn't cope?

Also spotted this one recently in a local town, but at least he has numberplates and lights (and presumably no fear of having it stolen):

IMG_5700.thumb.jpeg.86204ed35ee4c4b8711adc5b845cbb2b.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I was talking to a friend yesterday at an event and he cycles everywhere, to work and back along miles of country roads, and doesn't own a car but recently has developed knee problems. He has bought an electrically-assisted version for when things get too tough to carry on cycling. 

Remember the old sub-50cc mopeds you used to see everywhere, that had to be pedalled uphills as the engine wouldn't cope?

Also spotted this one recently in a local town, but at least he has numberplates and lights (and presumably no fear of having it stolen):

Yes Colin, the Cyclemaster was one of those built into a rear wheel. Another drove on the tyre of the front wheel.

Power assistance is fine for us oldies or the infirm, but not these things that do 30+ mph. A work colleague used to overtake me going uphill on his unpowered racer when I was pedalling my Raleigh Moped. AND, he had a fag on!

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

We used to call bikers "donor cyclists".    Perhaps we should refer to "donor scooterists".

John

Thank goodness my hostel warden (who was also our sheet metal instructor) wouldl not allow us to have a scooter or motor cycle there unless we wore a helmet.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Taking another look at this one I can see the possibilities of using a three speed hub with it. Would like to see where the engine is connected.

Ha! just noticed the second sprocket on the lh side with chain. Need to extend the bottom bracket shaft.

Edited by Wagger

9 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Taking another look at this one I can see the possibilities of using a three speed hub with it. Would like to see where the engine is connected.

Ha! just noticed the second sprocket on the lh side with chain. Need to extend the bottom bracket shaft.

Hello all

I have a BSA Winged wheel in the shed if anybody is interested? I think I have the fuel tank as well and maybe the log book!

But not the Bike!

Roger

image.thumb.png.f91be7005cf2128cf0ad5f9cdc4fe8d2.png

7 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello all

I have a BSA Winged wheel in the shed if anybody is interested? I think I have the fuel tank as well and maybe the log book!

But not the Bike!

Roger

image.thumb.png.f91be7005cf2128cf0ad5f9cdc4fe8d2.png

That appears to have leading link front suspension. Anti dive but I wonder if they knew that. With stirrup brakes, it would hardly have noticed anyway.