** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

On 8/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, Badwolf said:

Took her out for a run yesterday. The clunk from the back has gone.. result!!! Stuck in a traffic jam due to accident and temp starts to rise. Is it better to turn off the engine, fan stops no water circulation, but engine not producing heat or let the engine idle and risk temp going too high. I did know the answer years ago but forgotten. Oh and by the way, heater now not working again, tried the old heater trick to cool water down but all I got was cool air. Next job on the list, matrix flush.

Flushed through the heater matrix to clear any blockage. Some rusty stuff came out but not as much as I had expected, no gunge or anything nasty.  Water was flowing through nicely. When I initially took the pipe leading to the heater valve off, I did notice that there didn't appear to much water in it, if any. Could there have been an airlock. It is the highest point in the plumbing system?  If I have an airlock, how can I clear it? Maybe connect the return from the heater to a hosepipe and  push water through from the mains tap??  Would this cause any damage and where would the excess water end up... in the expansion bottle or do I run the risk of blowing out a core plug? 

TIME LIMITED

I have just come across an ebay online voucher code for 15% discount site wide (min spend £20.00, max discount £50.00). It appears to be a 'use once' code. Entering PIGGYBANK at the checkout has just saved me £48.00 on spares and paint consumables. How I did it was to put everything I wanted in the eBay basket and then enter the code during checkout. WARNING... it may not work for everyone, so make sure that the price is reduced BEFORE PAYING. Sorry about the capitals, but I want to save everyone money, not be responsible for buying stuff at full price. If the price does not discount simply cancel the order. Good luck

Looks like the forum has won the day again. The heater is now working well, for the time being. Thanks

After replacing the drive shaft UJs and polybushing the leaf spring and shock absorbers, the car appears to have acquired a slight knock on the rear off side when going over (at slow speed) speed bumps. Before I take the wheel off for a look, is there anything that I should be looking out for. I have new shocks on order and (see previous posts) I know that the current ones are very old and mismatched. I also put nylock nuts on all the leaf spring strap bolts, after two of them were found loose, one with the bolt hanging out, the other unscrewed most of the way. Could they be catching the body?

They should be, I didn't touch those, but will check.  The only things I meddled with were, remove drive shafts and fit ujs, brake pipes and hand brake connectors, remove/replace shocks, new nuts on leaf spring 'saddles'.  I suppose that removing the shocks could have caused something to happen inside.  One was making clicking noises when turned upside down (see previous posts) and they are both pretty old. I have bounced the back end but i won't knock that way, only over the bumps!

Its a sort a click from the rear offside wheel arch from what I can tell. Does sound like the top of the shock tapping the underside of the body. Only happens going over speed bumps, at the moment. Will whip off the wheel when I have a minute to have a look. Probably find I've left a spanner on top of the spring or something stupid.

Has anyone else had problems trying to source parts from europarts. Got a battery from them over the counter last year, but when I try to search on line for shocks and stuff, it asks me for the car reg, which I give, then tells me the correct year of the car (not the model etc) and then gets in a loop and wont do a proper search or anything more. A general search on 'shock absorbers' does the same. Am I doing something wrong or is this a general problem. Their slogan is ' all parts for all cars', but not mine.

Does anyone have any information or have bought any of this off fleabay recently

image.png.dbb1cc248d0bf97ad7980f8a6868b7d3.png

There used to be several entries, one being Fuzz Townsend's listing, but at the moment (8/2018) there only appears to be two sellers both asking £18.00 plus £6.00 carriage.  Could some of the entries have been pulled due to the 10% off offer currently on over the bank holiday weekend.

I buy this in bulk for one of my clubs along with other oils - it's an excellent oil as has been chewed over many times.

We also charge £18, but for collection at our events only - be they members or non-members.

Where are you located ??

Regards.

Richard.

Richard - Thanks for the info, up North, Manchester. I was going to get 4 cans while the fleabay 10% offer was on, but I can get it direct from the Townsend site. Not really that much saving when you work it out. Not opening the 'oil can of worms' again, but glad that you rate this stuff. I have read pretty much all the 'discussions' on the forum about types of oils and felt that this was highly rated without the huge price tag for a car which is lucky to do 1500 miles a year, and probably leaves quite a lot of that oil in the garage floor drip tray!!!

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Does anyone have any information or have bought any of this off fleabay recently

image.png.dbb1cc248d0bf97ad7980f8a6868b7d3.png

There used to be several entries, one being Fuzz Townsend's listing, but at the moment (8/2018) there only appears to be two sellers both asking £18.00 plus £6.00 carriage.  Could some of the entries have been pulled due to the 10% off offer currently on over the bank holiday weekend.

That was what I bought recently at £18 each, carriage is a bit cheaper for multiple buys.

The oil and shocks wern't included in the August bank holiday fleabay promotion.. gutted!! Not desparate, so in my basket awaiting the next promo day, neither was anything else on my list. Not to worry, I did well out of the 15% off promo mentioned earlier in the thread. That was great.. site wide.