Service records etc.

andycrews1

We all own and drive older cars and many will have many years of service history with them including details of previous owners, I know mine has.

I'm currently changing my daily car and I've been told that I can't leave anything simalar in thr car as it contravine GDPR regs. Anyone else come across this?

Andy

I’ve just bought a 3 year old Ford from a main dealer and the accompanying documents revel the previous owner’s  name and address. Similarly my old car, traded in, went with previous owner documentation. I don’t think the industry is taking too much notice.

Doug

its obviously sensible to clean out your car of any of your own data you  have left inside , but  the service record  is an integral part of the car and its value thats important to most traders and new customers 

any other dross should be removed , seeing some cars resemble a dustbin that could be hard for some to achieve

Pete

Hi!  I purchased a Seat in May/June and all the receipts/bills etc where not with the car!  I rang the garage to find some information as the last Service Stamp was incomplete to be told that due to GDPR  they could nor I could not follow up.  But as my older Volvo was sold on to a Trader, they advertised the car on Ebay with all my old 30 sheets of bills etc?

Cheers Martyn

Last year I sold and brought a car through a dealer and any documents I left had my details remove. I was not allowed copies of the previous the rev doc., etc. 

Strangely the Sat nav still contained two previous owners address.

So sat nav seem to get forgotten as people concentrate on documents.

This is a shame as we will lose the history of our classic cars.

Graham

Sorry for the question but can someone spell out "GDPR" for me and anyone else who was wondering. If its what I suspect data protection, I thought that only applies to computer data and not paperwork? I will always had over the paperwork related to the car but with the removal of personal information like card and bank related information.

Mentioned this on a previous thread. My new (to me) Toyota (yes I know!!), just had the service history and handbook. Everything of interest had gone, satnav flushed. What this main dealer did leave for me in the car was an old chicken bone, a small value coin of the realm, a dried apple core, some straw, crumbs of bread/cake or similar and the remains of dust and mud inside the petrol filler cap. My trade in was cleaner than that after years if looking like 'Steptoe's Yard'.

Standards have very definitely dropped! 'Er indoors bought a used Freelander in 2018, they charged extra for a 'dirt-proof' coating over the paint, and we picked it up looking like someone had poured tea over it. Long brown streaks everywhere, and the rubber mats were all soaking wet from a quick hosing down. Our first weekend was spent finding lego bricks amidst piles of beach sand under the rear seat - they don't seem to have realised that it tilted - and various coins down the sides of the front seat. The mistake the dealer made was asking for our opinions for an online survey. :)

I worked at Ciitroen for a year after getting pushed out of the truck industry doing quality checks on serviced/repaired cars 

some of the cars in particular those on motability were badly treated and old beefburgers and stench could be a call for fumigation before you could work on them 

like many thinkgs with the current population there is no respect or care its not mine, who cares attitude  .....glad Im a dinosaur 

like lock down we suffer the lack of discipline from free expression,you cant tell me what to do ,  i know my rights,    Me Me Me   sod everyone else  rules

we are surronded by by the many 

and its a nice day    suns out 

Pete

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

Pete

...and THAT makes all the difference. 

(Don't start me on Motability cars...watched a disabled female park in a blue badge space yesterday and practically fall out of a HUGE brand new 4 x 4, how on earth she got back in is beyond me. If she could climb into that again she's fitter than I am.)

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

...and THAT makes all the difference. 

(Don't start me on Motability cars...watched a disabled female park in a blue badge space yesterday and practically fall out of a HUGE brand new 4 x 4, how on earth she got back in is beyond me. If she could climb into that again she's fitter than I am.)

Now don't you lot start slagging off mobility car user's..... I have one!! I do look after it as if it was my own car and am very grateful to have one :) I do know what you mean though.. I doubt very much if the Chelsea tractor was a mobility car Colin as they have really tightened up with what car you can have, and rightly so as it was abused terribly. They are also not "Free" as many people think they are a lease car and come with same restrictions. I would swop all my mobility aid's just to be fit and healthy again :( When i had my garage i came across my fare share of "minging" cars, which sadly had mostly female owners.... The things you would find were disgusting, the worse being when i went to a house to start a car with a flat battery was met with a huge dog turd (still steaming) on the passenger seat..... I politely told her to find another garage....... Aaah well the sun is shining :) 

Tony.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

like many thinkgs with the current population there is no respect or care its not mine, who cares attitude  .....glad Im a dinosaur 

like lock down we suffer the lack of discipline from free expression,you cant tell me what to do ,  i know my rights,    Me Me Me   sod everyone else  rules

we are surronded by by the many 

Pete

What happened? I am of that mid generation, young enough to see the me first, my right lot but grew up in a house of the old style of respect for others. Probably due as I was born late into my mum and dads life, my brother and sister almost a generation older. I tend to look after things as if they have value , mine or not. Yet there seems to be a large crowd these days that don't care for anything but themselves? That's why when I see some one like pete put themselves out to organise an event I want to support it. So to keep too much out of thread drift, my triumph's when they go will still have the cars history but you may find it behind the door card!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

I would swop all my mobility aid's just to be fit and healthy again :( 

Now that I'll happily second!

I do however remember being in SMW Volvo in Belfast listening to a woman who was getting a new motability Volvo; she stipulated leather trim, and larger alloy wheels with low profile tyres, plus an uprated sound / sat nav system, then complained that it left her very little of her allowance for fuel per month... but overall I will have to agree with Tony that it is one of the most abused benefit schemes available these days, and has gone far in excess of its' original remit.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Now that I'll happily second!

I do however remember being in SMW Volvo in Belfast listening to a woman who was getting a new motability Volvo; she stipulated leather trim, and larger alloy wheels with low profile tyres, plus an uprated sound / sat nav system, then complained that it left her very little of her allowance for fuel per month... but overall I will have to agree with Tony that it is one of the most abused benefit schemes available these days, and has gone far in excess of its' original remit.

They are clamping down on it fine style though Colin, if you want any extra's to the model you choose you have to pay for the them, even down to floor mat's if they are not standard. Even GTI model's are off the list so they are cracking down on it as much as they can. The main abuse these day's are the blue badge.... Grrrrr  Those bstds that abuse that should be grateful they can walk unaided. I can only ask that people report blue badge abuse. Just take the reg number and send an email to the council as a blue badge is registered to three reg numbers, and they do check them out :) 

Tony.  

Back to the plot. I also have been thinking about the problems of tracing a classic car's history and I agree about leaving somethng, somewhere for the next owner. I am going to leave a potted history either behind the boot/petrol tank board or on the other side between the rear board and tank. I also thought of loading photos, documents etc onto a usb flash card,sealing it with our food vacuum sealer and taping that where it might be found by the next owner but not any dealer. I know that when its found there may not be any technology to read it, but at least I will be happy.

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just before you sell it, hide a little note somewhere about the car that reads: "Did anyone tell you this was once an Insurance Write-off?" :)

I did something similar with a Mk3 Cavalier company car I had.

it was 3 years old and had about 105k on the clock ( this was in the days when that was a major mileage) but looked immaculate as I had almost written it off a couple of months before the lease ran out, so had not been back from the body shop long.

the company's stopped servicing it at 70k on cost grounds, so it drank a couple of litre of oil every 1000 miles.

Anyway, I stuck post-it notes in a few inaccessible places with the true mileage and my office phone number on it.

Couple if weeks later I got a call to say " What's this note? My son bought the car and it only has 30k on it"

Next day the police rang me to confirm, and that was last I heard. Seems someone bought it at auction, knocked 75k off it, and made a stonking profit.