Night dimming relay

Roger K

11 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I too was wondering why no-one else just took the earth off.

seems I was not alone after all.

Works in some things, but not all, I'd be paranoid that the electricity would find another earth point and as usual, something that would melt or go on fire. (If you've ever had a Herald choke or heater cable heat up due to a bad engine earth you'll understand) Personally I'd remove it from the system completely but I'm over-cautious.

• Like 1

Sad how we went from a society that cared much about shining a bright, but night safe colour to one that refuse to use a handbrake by choice. Handbrake & foot brake is fine until the car behind has come to a halt.
I fantasise about automating my brake lights with modern algorithm's. Not too difficult to join the crowd. LOL.
Stay safe.

PS. 10 to 200Hz range should annoy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Sad how we went from a society that cared much about shining a bright, but night safe colour to one that refuse to use a handbrake by choice. Handbrake & foot brake is fine until the car behind has come to a halt.
I fantasise about automating my brake lights with modern algorithm's.

I fantasise about having one of those LED signs in the rear window where I can display messages like: "What part of 'STOP' did you not understand?", "Do you want me to open my boot so you can come closer?" and "Who broke your dip switch?"

Just after Xmas, I was stuck on the M6 at J29, Bamber Bridge, after a sudden flurry of snow caught many by surprise where the M6 and M61 join at J30.      All three lanes stationary for two hours plus.    All the vehicles in front of me kept their foot on the brake for at least twenty minutes after we halted, and it took twice that before they turned off their engines or lights. 

Explaining to such drivers that they should not keep their the brake lights on at traffic lights would take longer than the traffic jam.   Life is too short.

John

5 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Just after Xmas, I was stuck on the M6 at J29, Bamber Bridge, after a sudden flurry of snow caught many by surprise where the M6 and M61 join at J30.      All three lanes stationary for two hours plus.    All the vehicles in front of me kept their foot on the brake for at least twenty minutes after we halted, and it took twice that before they turned off their engines or lights. 

Explaining to such drivers that they should not keep their the brake lights on at traffic lights would take longer than the traffic jam.   Life is too short.

John

Doesn't necessarily mean they have their feet on brake pedals - many modern automatics put the brake lights on if you use the auto-hold function. They continue to shine / dazzle even when the auto-stop for the engine has cut in. Only moving into Park turns off the brake lights.

Gully

• Like 2

My modern is an auto, when I start up in Park the revs are just under 1000.  Once in Drive If I come to a halt using the foot brake the revs drop back to 1000. However if I then put the hand brake on the revs rise to around 1250. If I then change to Park, 1250. I don't know why this is, no doubt it's a "feature". But the inclination is to not use the hand brake, save fuel, save the planet! :)

Doug 

My modern is auto and hand brake comes on when i stop. also the brake lights come on..... It doesn't bother me if the lights are on in front. If it will stop one tw*t from running in the back of me great...... Three times i have had people run in the back of me when stationary, the last time giving me severe spinal injuries and believe me it f*cking hurts. So keep your brake lights on..... It might be you next time, i even put my hazards on if i am last in queue...

Tony. 

32 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

if I then put the hand brake on the revs rise to around 1250. If I then change to Park, 1250. I don't know why this is, no doubt it's a "feature". But the inclination is to not use the hand brake, save fuel, save the planet

Almost certainly the wrong response! Automatic cars universally have lower idle speed when the gearbox is engaged, but much higher idle air flow, and hence fuel consumption.  I suspect your modern auto box has a feature whereby it switches to "N" whenever the handbrake's on. This will save fuel, as well as wear, but the idle speed rises a bit to allow for the significant reduction of engine load and the consequent reduction of engine stability and low revs.

1 hour ago, Gully said:

Doesn't necessarily mean they have their feet on brake pedals - many modern automatics put the brake lights on if you use the auto-hold function. They continue to shine / dazzle even when the auto-stop for the engine has cut in. Only moving into Park turns off the brake lights.

Gully

I presume it's the same with the Adaptive Cruise Control.  When someone pulls out of the left lane in front of my Skodiak, and it applies the brakes to maintain the distance, I have often wondered if the brake lights are coming on.  I guess they must be, for obvious reasons.  It's a very disconcerting feeling when the vehicle takes over - I usually leave as much of this cr*p switched off as I can.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Roger K said:

I presume it's the same with the Adaptive Cruise Control.  When someone pulls out of the left lane in front of my Skodiak, and it applies the brakes to maintain the distance, I have often wondered if the brake lights are coming on.  I guess they must be, for obvious reasons.  It's a very disconcerting feeling when the vehicle takes over - I usually leave as much of this cr*p switched off as I can.

They do come on Roger, i was thinking the same so i had a pal follow me. (Golf SV)

Tony.

5 hours ago, poppyman said:

My modern is auto and hand brake comes on when i stop. also the brake lights come on..... It doesn't bother me if the lights are on in front. If it will stop one tw*t from running in the back of me great...... Three times i have had people run in the back of me when stationary, the last time giving me severe spinal injuries and believe me it f*cking hurts. So keep your brake lights on..... It might be you next time, i even put my hazards on if i am last in queue...

Tony. 

I didn't know that about autos!

poppyman, I sympathise, having had disc problems.         And when the traffic in front of me on the Mway stopped, I was concerned about the vehicles behind me, and behind them and so on.       So I kept my brakes on, AND my hazard lights for several minutes, until I judged that there was a sufficently large "crumple zone" behind me, so that even an artic at 70mph couldn't get though to me.     As if the lights would stop it!    

The last time I drove an Artic at 70mph. Was when the (56mph) limiter failed!. I was on the M180 (3 lane section) and was passing all the (other) trucks!!. When I got back I told Gaffer, By next morning the limiter was fixed again!😭

Had to explain it to the traffic comissioners as it showed on the Tacho!. Got let off with a slapped wrist!.

Had been fun for a while!.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

The last time I drove an Artic at 70mph. Was when the (56mph) limiter failed!. I was on the M180 (3 lane section) and was passing all the (other) trucks!!. When I got back I told Gaffer, By next morning the limiter was fixed again!😭

Had to explain it to the traffic comissioners as it showed on the Tacho!. Got let off with a slapped wrist!.

Had been fun for a while!.

It's not the truckers that worry me, it's white van man......

Tony.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poppyman said:

It's not the truckers that worry me, it's white van man......

Tony.

Why is it, all the one`s I see have the Damn Mobile clamped to the ear??, haven`t they even heard of cheap hands free sets at least!. Least worse scenario, your never going to stop peep`s using them while driving, human nature won`t go that far that Genie it too far out of the bottle, but at least give them both hands to the wheel!!!

BTW, just before I packed in driving, Volvo had the latest trucks tricked out with a sim card holder, built into the Radio unit!, you could make and take calls right from the wheel. That was over 10 yr ago now!. I guess Bluetooth has rendered that redundant?.

Pete

• Like 1

Yes, the Skodiak has Apple Play - you just plug your phone in, stick it in a closed drawer in front of the gearstick and the entire phone (google maps, music, phone etc.) works through the column stalk controls and displays on the car's screen.  If I get a text or a whatsapp post it tells me over the radio, and asks if I want to reply - all done by voice control.  It's clever but scary at the same time.  Not really what I want from a car, but these things are just means of transport now, the real cars - for driving enjoyment - are in the garage (and currently in bits).

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Yes, all this technology in cars now. It took me about 3 months to notice that my Yeti hadn't got a CD player, it has other sockets that I'm not even sure what the symbol means. 🙄

Have you looked for one Chris, my Golf has one in the glove box. And my previous Touran that i thought didn't have one was hidden behind a piece of trim on the dash..... I felt i a tight tw*t when i said to the salesman i will be glad to have a cd player........

Tony.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

No not there. Modern technology and there is still a glove box, who wears gloves anyway these days. Don't answer that!

I find my string-backs come in very handy on those crisp, clear, top-down winters days :)

i see on the news a cattle grid on the road to North hill in Minehead triggered emergency braking and cars were leaving the road 

do they also take evasive action s well ??

dont know why they did not stop in a straight line , it is steep and single track 

who needs technology ??

Pete

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i see on the news a cattle grid on the road to North hill in Minehead triggered emergency braking and cars were leaving the road 

do they also take evasive action s well ??

dont know why they did not stop in a straight line , it is steep and single track 

who needs technology ??

Pete

Going Up? or coming down?. Going up I guess?. But if I remember it`s not really that steep?. Now Porlock!. That`s different!. There is/was a N-T parking area up by Bossinton, used to have a wooden seasonal cafe and the Still`s steam "Tea Boiler". I took wrong way from a previous job out of Minehead and got onto a "dirt road" heading for Hurlston point the first time. Turn around back toward Minehead then minor road via Hindon. Lost well over an hour, the fitter waiting to box the boiler up was not a happy bunny! He still had to go back to Bournemouth.

Pete