LED Lamps Illegal on Classic's

Gary Flinn

May have said before, but I put some LED "bulbs" in the number plate lights on my daughters 107 - I had them in stock. And they were fine for about a year when one failed and as is common on LED's failed short - so took all the dash and side marker lights out in the process. Standard bulbs went back in.

55 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

May have said before, but I put some LED "bulbs" in the number plate lights on my daughters 107 - I had them in stock. And they were fine for about a year when one failed and as is common on LED's failed short - so took all the dash and side marker lights out in the process. Standard bulbs went back in.

My niece's 107,  side lights and indicators stopped working. Garage said "Faulty passenger side indicator unit, £250 please". Brother took a look, replaced number plate bulb, all fixed. We never could figure out why.

Doug

59 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

My niece's 107,  side lights and indicators stopped working. Garage said "Faulty passenger side indicator unit, £250 please". Brother took a look, replaced number plate bulb, all fixed. We never could figure out why.

Doug

Computer says pay up?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trigolf said:

I've bought LEDs for the side and brake lights from Classic Car LEDs. Their website says that all their LEDs are CE approved.  I'll keep the receipt in case of an argument with my MOT Tester, though I'm sure he won't get excited over it....

Gav

You can't always trust the CE mark. Quite conveniently China decided to use the exact same letters in the same font for products the at approved by China for export to Europe "China Export" and it has nothing to do with the quality of safety of the product like it does in Europe. Lots of these LED's are made in China.

9 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

they'd have to unscrew the lenses. And are they legally allowed to do that, even on the back? 

My understanding of MOT test parameters is that they are NOT allowed to remove any item?. They can however issue a fail?.

9 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I hear an endoscope up the exhaust pipe can be unpleasant. 

db

It`s uncomfortable, but not painful!!. And you get to watch the T-V pictures!!🤣.

Pete

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

£250 please"

I paid around £150. for a Decent OBD scanner. 3 Faults later it has paid for itself!. (Mercedes @ £80 + Vat a Throw JUST to interrogate the "Brain(s)").👍

Pete

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PeteH said:

My understanding of MOT test parameters is that they are NOT allowed to remove any item?. They can however issue a fail?.

It`s uncomfortable, but not painful!!. And you get to watch the T-V pictures!!🤣.

Pete

One down the chimney is unpleasant but not painful either. And you get to see the pictures. 

1 hour ago, Rutty said:

You can't always trust the CE mark. Quite conveniently China decided to use the exact same letters in the same font for products the at approved by China for export to Europe "China Export" and it has nothing to do with the quality of safety of the product like it does in Europe. Lots of these LED's are made in China.

Chinese Electric/Electronics.
The spacing of CE is different.
Anybody have a picture of the mythical CE marking?

CE & E marked are not same..

From one website:

These bulbs are CE and ROHS approved.
Our bulbs are all high quality and made to our own demanding specifications.  
We believe in fair pricing and are confident you will not get a better price unless you want to compromise on the quality or life of your bulbs.
24 Month Warranty against Manufacturing Fault

Due to the recent change in UK MOT regulations, the use of LEDs in halogen headlight reflectors is not now acceptable for UK MOT's despite these having excellent MOT standard beam patterns.

21 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Round here lots of cyclist have flashing very bright lights on their bikes and seemingly aim them at drivers. Really P's me off!

These are the same dick heads who ride all in black ( or tarmac coloured as I call it). So they blend in very nice with  the road and do not upset anybody by being highly visible And too bright in unstyalistIc clothing 🤣  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

These are the same dick heads who ride all in black ( or tarmac coloured as I call it). So they blend in very nice with  the road and do not upset anybody by being highly visible And too bright in unstyalistIc clothing 🤣  

Cyclists should dress like they are playing golf or going to church in Africa.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

Known Locally as "The Lycra Lads". 2 Abrest, on the main carriageway, that despite a 250K dedicated cycle lane alongside the road.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Known Locally as "The Lycra Lads". 2 Abrest, on the main carriageway, that despite a 250K dedicated cycle lane alongside the road.

Pete

Don't you mean "Lycra Louts" Pete? they really p*ss me off Grrrrrrr. Apologies to any sensible Lycras out there, i know there is the odd one or two.

Tony.  

We have them too, on the Beach Rd around the bay here in Melb, there's a bike track but they ride two abreast on a two lane highway, & on a Sunday there out in their hordes and stop for no one esp when there've got a head of steam up. Several years ago one didn't stop at a pedestrian crossing and ran down and killed a pedestrian  caused a furore but didn't change there attitude

Some enterprising person... simply known by many as 'idiot'... opened a cycle rental business and cafe in my village. As we're the main crossing point for the canal every cyclist in the UK meets here on Sundays and a lot of weeknights too. When you drive down the street you feel like you're driving through someone's gym with all these budgie smugglers in lycra feeling the burn up and down the road. Every day is Giro d'Italia here. It reminds me of old movies of the motorcycle gangs and Mods from the 50s and 60s; all wearing their colours, all rivals, but annoy one and they all unite against you. 

16 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

same theory as christmas tree lights!

• Haha 1

Silly question perhaps, but why change to LED? Is it to protect the wiring or to save power? Former I sort of get, but the latter makes no sense.

If (headlights) its for better lights, just put better ones in - I think Land Rover Defender (Or is it series) ones fit. And add relays

11 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Silly question perhaps, but why change to LED? Is it to protect the wiring or to save power? Former I sort of get, but the latter makes no sense.

If (headlights) its for better lights, just put better ones in - I think Land Rover Defender (Or is it series) ones fit. And add relays

Not really that silly. The thought is along the lines of reducing the "power" needs in elderly wiring. The down side being that LED`s are also prone/susceptable to voltage drop if the connector quality is poor. Reducing the power requirement also does aid longevity in the power supply (theoretically). Dynamo/Alternator, not having to work so hard?.

On the other hand, I "found" amongst my "bit and bob`s". 2 80/40 (I think, Might be 100/60`s) halogens? I wonder if they would "fit"?.

Pete.

Most owners do it as they think it will help them see further in the dark. I can understand replacing the old sealed beams with halogens, but always thought LEDs were too great a leap for me, other than brake lights and reversing lights.

I've got a lovely set of stainless Lumax spots which I fitted to the 948 for a time and will maybe go on the 1200 convertible to aid the headlamps. I find it easier to have them wired as a completely separate loom from the main loom and controlled by an illuminated switch, rather than putting the extra strain on the main loom. Too lazy to fit relays and run from the full beam switch!

2070921803_ColsCoupe.jpg.b0a0243cf565782316fe1be7ff90b073.jpg