winter layup tyre pressures

Pete Lewis

its a good idea to over inflate tyres if a long period of inactivity is pending through the winter season

so  inflate them to around 36psi to  42 psi  prevent flat spots 

stick a label on the dash so you dont forget to adjust them before you go tootling when  better weather appears 

Oil or grease the Battery terminals 

check the antifreeze content

oil can  a squirt on all the moving odds and sods ie locks levers rods and throttles

keep the inside ventilated 

feel free to add to the list 

Pete 

Ha! Don't have the problem even when the Sprint was stored outside in Melbourne's climes under a waterproof cover, tho it was started and run every month, no salt here!! Nearly locked the neighbours cat in once, it loves to crawl in when I'm working on the car, it's Burmese & I'm king!,

Yes, 

Either that, or 'exercise' it regularly. My Vit clutch plate would sieze to the flywheel if left undisturbed for a few months over winter - especially if your garage is not a heated luxuary type !

My method is to wedge the clutch pedal down, put car in gear, chock wheels loosely and take h'brake off. Then wind the engine over on the crank pulley bolt, with a spanner. If the car does'nt move you know the clutch has'nt seized! I do this once a month over the winter. That way I don't have wedge the clutch all winter.

Gav

57 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Top Tip:

Don`t mothball it,use it.My cars start playing up if not used for extended periods.

Steve

Best advice, I agree. But many don`t have the "luxury". Old bones and Arthritis, don`t go well with winter weather! (Sadly). And salted roads, are anathema to older vehicles.

Pete

Well I'm not exactly young(56) with achey joints and a bad wrist from an old break,see from the out and about thread I was out in the Vitesse yesterday with the roof off in 2 degrees c,lovely.

Went to put the hood up on my Herald in the garage a couple of days ago and it has shrunk and won't go anywhere near locking,thats how little it,s used.(the hood not the car).

Make the most of them before they get passed on to the next keeper.

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve P said:

Top Tip:

Don`t mothball it,use it.My cars start playing up if not used for extended periods.

Steve

Yep, agree. That's been my experience also. Think My Gt6 mk2 has faired better being parked out on the road for the past 18 years in all weathers, with occasional use, summer winter  rain and snow, than if I had kept it in a garage. Occasional dusting of WD40 has helped.  Important to keep things moving and warmed up, same thing goes for my aging body.

43 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

have you tried a dusting of WD40  ??????

Inadvertently, adds a nice sheen to your complection 😁. That's until I clean my glasses, complexions more like worn saddle bags. Things look much better without glasses, especially the car.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Steve P said:

Top Tip:

Don`t mothball it,use it

I semi-mothball mine. Parked in neutral, hand brake off, wedge by front wheel (reminder on dashboard in case some idiot 🙄 tries to drive without removing it). Battery out or charged regularly.

Occasional run out in sunny dry weather does both the car and me some good.

I'll also follow the tip about blocking the clutch pedal down, although to date (touch wood) had no problem. I'll also do the increase tyre pressure thing, I'll also hang a warning label by the car keys in case the same idiot decides to take it out without resetting them . . .

I totally agree with use it or lose it!. But that bloody "arfur" has a lot to answer for!. I`m currently using Ibruprophen gel on an index finger that refuses to work my Mouse, The middle finger is not as accurate!. And the Barometric pressure is on the move again!. Anddddd! It`s too early for wine!. Do those gloves work? Doug, Or is it more psychology than physiology?. I understand more people swear by them than at them?.

Pete

Labels are a good idea  going back to my Commer days any geometry on the PB /Spacevan had to load with a Ton of 56Lb concrete weights to drop it on to suspension 

blocks to set the Static ride Height these  often got forgotten and a trip back through the Dunstable test route was needed to recover the blasted things  from somewhere in the road

so in 1968  as a 22yr old Foreman I made a  large sign for the dash  its quite clear it just said 

BLOCKS   

a phase that was generally expanded   but labels  do work well 

Pete