Coping with storms.

Wagger

Dont have that problem here. I use the heatpump to cool the house at night so we can sleep but thats only about 5 days a year when it  gets uncomfortable in the 20s. The other 20 days it gets used as a heat source in winter.
When the big quake happens keeping cool or warm will be the least of our worries if we survive

I always thought they should put the vaccine in the toilet paper.
Still ok this side of the ditch but we are not eagerly awaiting its arrival.

3 hours ago, ahebron said:

Peter Lewis mentions a Parrot House

a while back we had 65 cockatiels  2 senegals   a patagonian conure,  a myers,  african grey and Umbrella cockatoo

the cockatoo would sleep in the bird house but squawked till you let her in to demolish the home  by day 

more a sort of flying bolt cutter ,anything was targets for destruction  great character  but a nightmare in feathers 

in the end the brolly ,grey went to a rehoming centre and all we have now is 16 cockatiels     less hassle 

all getting a bit old now and the 15mtr lord snowdon aviary is getting tired  so am I   Ha 

Pete

dec 2009 006.JPG

tabby 005.JPG

Crikey they probably need a suburb rather than a house

For many years we had Sulphur Crested Cockatoos living in the bush on the hills behind but they have died out or been culled. Someone on one of the farms let some pets go when they got too much and they bred. 

Out of (Dis) interest.The Caravan Site by the Thamnes at Chertsey, has a large contingent of "parrots", who live in the trees on the site. Noisy Bu**ers too, especially when you need a kip after a 4+ hour drive from Yorkshire!!.

On 08/12/2021 at 11:58, Wagger said:

That's right Pete. I cranked the wall stat up as soon as that landed in the bank. Smart meter suggests that I have spent a quarter of it in two weeks.

My wife received this as well. I thought that only one received it it you live together. I await the reclaim with 'No interest' hopefully.

The "system" works One occupant = Full "benefit". 2 occupants = !/2 a "benefit" each. Thereby needing twice the paperwork, time and Tea and biscuits for those administering the same. Keeps extra shiny bums on seats I suppose?

Pete

When one half of the partnership wants to spent her allowance for warmth in the house and the other half of the partnership wants to spend his half of the allowance on heating the garage, it gets interesting. Not that I would know about that sort of thing you understand (back working in the kitchen!!)

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

When one half of the partnership wants to spent her allowance for warmth in the house and the other half of the partnership wants to spend his half of the allowance on heating the garage, it gets interesting. Not that I would know about that sort of thing you understand (back working in the kitchen!!)

When my other half enquires why the house is cold and the garage warm, I usually reply it's because I know how to close doors and windows.

I can also guarantee you that if I time an open window, or door, for maybe three or four hours of lying open and unattended while I'm outside, as soon as I come in and close it, the comment is: "I"m going back in there" or "I've just opened that."

On 11/12/2021 at 07:51, PeteH said:

AND they know their countries history, albeit not as far back as the UK goes.

I don't know loads about history of USA, though I assume the land/country had one before then?.

I feel, how history is taught anyway, is generally, is very one sided?

Just a few thoughts.

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

I don't know loads about history of USA, though I assume the land/country had one before then?.

I feel, how history is taught anyway, is generally, is very one sided?

Just a few thoughts.

'History is only propaganda written by the victors'. Allegedly.

I know the history of my region has changed dramatically over the last 40 years or so, if you read books written in the 1970s the views and accounts are totally different to those being written today.

• 1 month later...

Eunice has arrived, Walked dogs early to avoid the worst. Power line insulators are more than 60 degrees from the vertical at the apex across the Lake.

My 85 year old brother has just remembered dancing with Eunice in 1955 before being posted to Cyprus in the RAF. He forgot about her until now and reckons she has come to give him a beating. It's his birthday today.

It's snowing here! All battened down, fire lit, log pile restocked, and enough coffee to last a week. If the house loses the roof we'll move to the garage. According to the morning news Northern Ireland was, for the first time ever, 100% powered by wind power with an actual surplus. All we need is a never-ending storm and we're as green as can be.

• Like 1

well in not so sunny Luton its just started to build , one quick power outage and virgin internet is up and running but landline is now just Dead  where's me mobile ??  i did charge it last night 

two picnic stoves at the ready , great for bacon,bangers  and   beans  ha !

wheellie bins up and down the road  they are empty now   ..wheres the rubbish gone ...airbourne i guess

Parrots are shut inside ,there are some serious gusts that come with a crack ,  hopefully it leaves us soon and 

we are all damage free 

Pete

48 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

two picnic stoves at the ready , great for bacon,bangers  and   beans

Let's get into the spirit of things. If the power goes out, so what - cook on the wood stove, read by candlelight... make it an adventure. None of my spanners need electricity anyway.

One of my best memories of Covid, when the cafes and restaurants were all shut and we were all socially distant, was of getting a carryout from a garage deli and sitting in the car, on the coast, looking out at the grey sky over the sea and reading the paper to the accompaniment of a five-piece fry. When was the last time you sat in a room, by candle or firelight, with no TV on, and just watched the shadows move about? Sometimes the smell of paraffin, or candlewax, can be incredibly nostalgic. 

Of course if it lasts for days that's a different matter... :)

Would not want to be a Pilot today, having seen videos the aborted landings at Gatwick. Guy wires are holding my fence. My semi-detached is the East one, luckily. Wind is due West now hitting my neighbours gable end where the tiles are clipped down.

The 1987 storm was during the dark hours. Sussex lost about a third of its mature trees. In 1990, we had one during the day at Frimley in Surrey where I was working. Sheets of corrigated roofing galvanised steel were passing by horizontally. That one closed the Weymouth to Portland causeway where the sister company was and moved the Chesil Beach.

Barbeque is at the ready, as is the Inverter. So far no need although the local freeview transmitter is having 'Wobblys'.

my aiviary roof is on the move . not like Dougs daughters car port but just old timber etc 

held the end down with some aldi nylon rope but i need some boy scout or captain Dick to show me 

some knots as the silly stuf just wont self grip , the more you knot the more it decides to slide undone Grr.

its calming then a  severe  whooosh 

Pete