Fuel hose

avivalasvegas

4 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Greetings! 

Curious if forum wisdom has honed in on the best available E10 compatible option for a protected fuel hose to replace the braided hose installed on my GT6 Mk2? Given its proximity to the fan, a hose that is armored or hard to penetrate?

F8C39AE1-28EA-4D03-955C-94E0F4D92611.jpeg

The biggest problem with braided hoses is that most have little info supplied as to their quality. And you cannot see if the rubber is damaged/deterioteted.

The club shop sells one of the "good" hoses. Gates, coden and cohline 2240 etc. 

I am not aware of hoses being damaged in engine bays except where hoses have been used incorrectly. They should be steel/copper/kunifer with just the linking bits being rubber. But some owners do use lengths of rubber hose instead. If supported/clipped it should be fine. 

You will find braided E10 hose at car builder solutions, though not much specification is given. They may respond to an enquiry though. Or you can buy stainless overbraid to slide over one of the "known good" brands.

Personally, I leave my fuel hoses bare so they can be inspected.

Found the overbraid easy to remove and transfer to another length of hose, wonder how many get under their car on a regular basis to inspect hose not in the engine bay.

On my Vitesse have metal pipe from pump to carbs. and metal with a T piece between carbs with overbraided hose to join it all up.

Overbraid and end finisher's are available as a seperate items.

Regards

Paul.

13 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

wonder how many get under their car on a regular basis to inspect hose not in the engine bay.

There are two sections on my GT6, one where it comes up into the engine bay and one in the passenger side rear wheel arch. The rear one rotted and one night leaked half a tank full onto the garage floor. The garage is directly beneath the bathroom. Next morning into the bathroom and OMG!!!  PETROL!!! 

Took a week, doors and windows open, to get rid of the smell, good job it was summer. Smell lingered longest in the conservatory the furthest room from the garage, odd.

Sections were replaced with E5 proof but this reminds me they should now be E10. I try not to use E10 but had to once last year.

So in answer to the question, I inspect every time I tighten up the rear brake shoes (the self adjusters don't work so the wheels have to come off) 

Doug

11 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Curious if forum wisdom has honed in on the best available E10 compatible option for a protected fuel hose to replace the braided hose

Hi Aviv, I too have pondered hose or kunifer. I like the idea of hose as it reduces the number of connections but kunifer is fit and forget. As Clive said Carbuilder Solutions sell 1/4 and 5/16 braided E10 proof hose. My Huco pump has 5/16 (8mm) outlet but the carb pipe inlet (on mine) is 1/4. If I fit hose I'll braze a 5/16 copper piece on. 

Iain 

On 10/02/2022 at 18:13, Nick Jones said:

That looks practically indestructible. Is doesn't appear to be the correct thickness though? 

I ran 8mm Copper/Kunifer, from adacent to the tank to the fromt of the bulkhead. but it was and easy job as the tubs where off at the time. Where it passes through the outriggers I put plastic tubing over it. The plan is to connect using "E" resistant hose as short as possible.

Pete

image.thumb.png.49a3d1af25a2c993c252222652d26dbb.png

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Same as I'm doing! It can be harder to route the pipe with no joints, but in my Herald I have the front end stripped off so can slide the tubing straight along the chassis front to back. The only hose will be the curved bit at the top of the tank. I used 1/4 inch kunifer, tho.

If you are forced to cut. Enots Brass fittings are a better bet. Safer than even E9 hose.

Pete