Mystery Shocker

I wonder if it is a gaz shock? they are gold, but usually adorned in othjer stickers too.

You say press on the rear of the car, where I wopuld not expect to see a huge amount of movement. Shocks I test by hand to make sure they take a few second to fully compress and open with me pressing or pulling. At the back too much damping is bad news, needs to be fairly compliant. But if you have been prssing on the bodywork, you have been testing the spring.

And Rotoflex shocks are not easy to find.....

34 minutes ago, trigolf said:

That's a Gaz shock. It should be adjustable with the knurled knob at the bottom. Most people find that setting click 2 or 3 is hard enough. I think it will go up to 12 or so. You'll break your teeth on any more than 3!

Gav

+1

Definitely a Gaz shock

Blue shroud, gold body and green sticker are typical of Gaz.

Nigel

the gaz can end up with road dirt seizing the adjuster knob   

held on with a small  allen screw   undo and remove the knob   there is a detent/gives the clicks  spring and small ball under the knob    

give it all a clean refit   and its fine again    not that they get adjusted very often 

Pete

13 hours ago, trigolf said:

Most people find that setting click 2 or 3 is hard enough. I think it will go up to 12 or so. You'll break your teeth on any more than 3!

Yes it's a GAZ, when fitted to the rears I set at 6 clicks. On a test run the guy on the back seat was bouncing up and down like a demented jack in the box😂. I think I've set at 1 click rear and 2 on the front. 

Iain 

37 minutes ago, euan douglas said:

Another question about Gaz shocks - is there a hard stop at each end of the adjustment and if not then how many clicks from the neutral setting to fully soft and fully hard?

Euan

If they're anything like Spax they just sort of fade out in one direction and the clicks become almost non-existent. I think - and it's hazy - that they'll stop in one direction but get very vague in the other. I ran my Gt6 rears on about 3 and this is why I seem to remember them stopping in one direction, so I could could 3 from that point, but if you went on the clicks just became fainter with no seeming stop point. Hopefully someone here will be able to confirm for definite.

1 hour ago, euan douglas said:

fully soft and fully hard?

I haven't tried the hardest setting but there's definitely a solid stop at the soft end. One of the pair was seized and I followed the advice given by Pete, above, to free it off. From the softest setting I wound it up as far as six clicks but then brought it back down to two. The non seized shocker was on two clicks in the positive direction hence my choice. Test driving shows this to be a very acceptable setting for the roads around Stratton St Margaret. The back end which has CD drive shafts is well planted and handling through tight bends is superb.

2 hours ago, euan douglas said:

Another question about Gaz shocks - is there a hard stop at each end of the adjustment and if not then how many clicks from the neutral setting to fully soft and fully hard?

Euan

From testing with my shock dyno (ie me pressing on a shock, off the car) Gaz tend to go solid after about 5 clicks. (this may vary)

But on teh rear they need to be pretty soft or it will skip about. 2 clicks seems to be about right. 

I have the 1" spring spacer on my Vitesse and 1 click on the rears feels OK. A hard rear end isn't comfy or nice to drive😂. I tried one click on the fronts and it seemed a bit floaty and disconnected with the road at speed. 

Iain