Old, though unused oil ok to use?

daverclasper

43 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Thanks. This was from a garage clearout after a family bereavement.

Smells like EP and is the right colour, though no guarantee it's 90, as on the label, probably fine, though a bit of a risk I guess

OK for Trunnions?

I'd use spare oil to flush engines out - drain, refill with cheap oil and a flusher, run for whatever time then drain, change the filter and throw all away. Sorry - recycle.

Just in the same vein as the original post - I've been given four bottles of Penrite Gearbox Oil 30 which unfortunately I think was used in the white Herald's gearbox (swapped for an overdrive version so not used any more) but I'm wondering if, as it is an SAE 20W-60, then it can't have done the original gearbox any good. Penrite state that it's for cars where the engine and gearbox used the same specification of oil, so not ours. Unless anyone knows any reason why not, I may use it in the Herald engine until I get it up and running properly, then change for a good oil. Any thoughts?

45 minutes ago, Chris A said:

If it was me I'd just use it for basic lubrication of things like the gates, hinges on the shed or doors where it couldn't cause any problems.

hmmm I think the majority of the 3L is going to be passed on the next lucky family member😁

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

cars where the engine and gearbox used the same specification of oil, so not ours

Mostly - there was a brief period of TR7 production when the spec for the (Rover SD1) 5-speed gearbox was engine oil. Before they decided it should be ATF. Bizarre but true.

7 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

all the Rootes cars were engine oil in gearboxes also recomended for laycock overdrives but agreed to use ep90 for triumph useage 

but the triumph unit was at its limit and needed an EP to give it some life 

Pete

Imps use EP90 in the gearbox.

A while back, I "found" and old Oil Can which had been lurking in a dark corner, It contained oil which, as far as I am aware, could date from the 1970`s!!. Anyway It been OK for general lubrication, bikes, hinges and things. with no observed ill effect. The "oiler" itself I know was part of my Kit as an Aprentice!.

I bought 4 cans of that engine oil that Fuzz Townsend was promoting a couple of years ago, 'Classic' something, you know, the one with millions of Zincs in it. Buried under masses of stuff on the bench at the moment so can't tell you exactly what it is. I will probably never use it all. What it really the best way to store it. Hope my successors realise that it was highly recommended in it's day. 

Colin - I really should have know better....and now I know why. I have found it on fleabay (from where I bought mine). 'Classic Heritage Oils 20W50'. In the words of the Great Yorkshireman  "How f*****g much". £96.00 including delivery!!! I paid £75 less an extra 10% for four when I bought mine and it was only a couple of years ago!! Yes, things really are getting that bad. The Ballad of Jed Clampett comes to mind... "Black Gold"