First Classic - Spitfire Mk2

Rich?, Thought this might be of use, re size of document hope it doesn't breech the rules, I also have an electronic copy of the Spit 1 & 2 Spare Parts Manual but it's 8Mb.

My mate is over in Surrey (Ashtead) now finally selling his UK house after buying a big big house in Perth adjacent a golf course to be near his daughter who emigrated 15 years ago, we went to college together in the mid 60's, I stayed with his parents after returning from Canada 67 & we've been in contact  ever since, his wife had a new Spit Mk3 in the early 70's and a Stag till around 6 years ago, when I visited him around 2007 I converted it to an electric water pump, & every time I visited he had a maintenance list for me to do.

Spitfire Mk2 Handbook.pdf

• Thanks 1

Nobody does recovering for that part. The original finish is actually a molded plastic cover. With a bit of effort it's possible to do it with vinyl and trim adhesive. This was my attempt:

DashSurroundVinyl.jpg.ac716cd688041a8cc775f526764ed2c9.jpg

It's worked OK but not perfect. You'll notice that I did it when I had a newly painted bare bodyshell with no windscreen, no dash, no steering, no crashpad and no parcel shelves. That's really the only way you can do it. The end result is decent:

DashFitted.jpg.d7d66b69b370aefbddce5b4f9d43debd.jpg

On balance, though, yours looks pretty good as it is, and I'd recommend trying some upholstery cleaner on it before thinking about doing anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter it's a revelation reading your Mk2 handbook.  It's a workshop manual and Moss parts catalogue all in one!  I bought a new car last month and in three thickish handbooks for car, entertainment, navigation and so there is nothing so helpful for the home mechanic.

Incidentally, the dashboard illustration in this book suggests it would be a painted surround as your car.  As Dan says, many minor upgrades.  The engine bay with different radiator to the Mk1 is interesting.

I had a strong smell of fuel in the boot - and by extension my garage. I am replacing the fuel filler neck. I cannot for the life of me get the fuel cap through the new rubber grommet that it goes through. I can get the grommet in the hole, or the grommet around the fuel cap, but not both together. Any tips?

PXL_20220812_173730753.thumb.jpg.efe18445f1da0e0d6ef4070602de78ec.jpg

Never mind, sorted it. 

As with most events in life when you need to force something into a smaller hole, I put on some rubber gloves and applied a bit of lube (grease), and with some gentle thrusting and side to side movements it slid right in. Very satisfying feeling.

Made a bit of a mess but nothing I couldn't wipe up.

The beers probably helped too 😎😁