automec silicone brake fluid

alan.gilbert_6384

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

This is covered in the Buckeye Triumph article and the reason he uses in some of his classics and not others. And of course you mustn't use it wit ABS.

Doug

Hi,
I have heard the same.

It is said that the gas air causes the incompatabilty problem with ABS.
Vacuum or don't let the air get into the system seems the answer for ABS & DOT5?

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by SpitFire6
speeling

55 minutes ago, johny said:

No, dont think its air thats the problem with DOT5 but its actual compressibility. The ABS pulses the pressure in a hydraulic system to prevent brake lock and if the fluid is more 'spongy' this will be less effective...

It’s actually the viscosity of DOT5 that’s the issue with ABS.   

Silicone brake fluid is hardly  a new thing -it has been around since the seventies.

It was an answer to the problem of  fluid deterioration and adverse effects on hydraulics in infrequently used military vehicles which could be  stored for prolonged periods.

A situation in some  ways applicable to my Triumph- that’s  why I use it.

In my ‘daily use “ vehicle, I use Dot 4 and change it every 2 years.

I can’t say I have noticed any differences in bleeding either of them - or in any other way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Now completed the rear brakes with new stainless steel flexes (it already had them, but having the mushy seals before didn't trust them) and brand new cylinders.  I decided new cylinders for the rear as opposed to seals when ordering the spares, as the price difference was small and given that I might find problems was worth it.  Having now dismantled the old cylinders I can easily see corrosion and remnants of the old brake fluid trapped in them (it was changed in 2007 to DOT5, and I replaced old steel lines and re-bleed in 2012).  The corrosion on the them must be a direct result of the old fluid still being trapped in them, as the DOT5 is not hydroscopic.

IMG_3350.jpg.7e33f76f3fc87b78e9ff3c6434d31554.jpg

On 03/01/2023 at 18:17, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

The corrosion on the them must be a direct result of the old fluid still being trapped in them, as the DOT5 is not hydroscopic.

Or was it a direct result of the DOT5 not being hydroscopic so ending up with any/all the water in the system ending up in the rear cylinders...😈

On 03/01/2023 at 19:17, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

The corrosion on the them must be a direct result of the old fluid still being trapped in them, as the DOT5 is not hydroscopic.

Or could that be old corrosion from before the system was changed to silicone - seems likely the PO just whacked it in with no seal change....

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

General DOT5 ?

Autometic is much more expensive than say Comma DOT5 . Is it worth the premium 

Paul 

Paul, do you mean Comma DOT 5.1, rather than DOT 5? 

I think I'm right that they are not the same. DOT 5.1 is synthetic, but not silicone.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I think I'm right that they are not the same. DOT 5.1 is synthetic, but not silicone.

Thanks and now understand . My clutch slave is leaking and considering moving across to Dot 5 . OKE dot 5 looks best value 

Paul 

On 05/01/2023 at 16:52, trigolf said:

DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, and DOT 5.1 are all synthetic.
DOT 5 is the different chemistry.

I have a Question re Dot5, my Vitesse has been on Dot5 for 8 years no issue, I use a USA manufactured product called "Maxima Racing Oils" Brake Fluid Dot5, I get it locally here in Melbourne from a Motor Bike Shop, the label says recommended for all USA, UK, Jap, & European motorcycles specifying Silicone brake fluid, with a minimum boiling point of 356F, It meets and exceeds SAE J1705, plus other standards for Dot5 Silicone Brake Fluid.

I've just read the speel on the plastic container and the warnings quote, "brake fluid can damage painted surfaces wash spills immediately with water, & keep container clean and tightly closed to prevent absorption of moisture?"  Surely these two warnings are contrary to the reason we use Silicone Dot5, ie to avoid these outcomes.

Q! are all Dot5 to SAE J1705 the same, & suitable for car use?