Electric Vitesse?

ahebron

I've seen the Electric Vitesse featured on the Vitesse International Facebook group.

It looks to be a very nicely restored Vitesse, but one of the attractions for me is the lovely 6 Cylinder Engine and the noise it makes?

I do drive an Hybrid Golf as my main transport, it is an excellent car.

But not for a Vitesse in my opinion.

Gary  

Am I right in thinking that a 40 year old plus "Vehicle of Historic Interest" loses that status once a conversion such as above has been carried out?

I remember reading something a while ago about a very nice Mk1 Mini that had been converted and through a series of curcumstances to do with age and Type Approval (I think) it became almost worthless as it could no longer legally be registered for the road with its original number plate , due to the fact that it's motive power was not in period, and the modifications to the subframes were considered as "not in period" and it therefore had to have a Q plate issued under the Totting Up process?

How do companies that do the conversions get around that?

Edited by Sparky_Spit

I personally believe that converting any classic car is tearing the heart and soul of the car out. I don't care that once converted they are much faster and silent. To me, they have all the charisma of a washing machine. As for an electric Vitesse.....NO!!!😡

But owners put in more modern ICE, gearboxes etc. including conversion to EFI, so isn't electric conversions another step?. Some conversions have very little of the original car left, apart from looking about like when it left the factory.

It's their car to do with as they wish.

Regards

Paul.

45 minutes ago, Sparky_Spit said:

Hmm... so I see, it does. There must have been something different about the Mini I mentioned above that made it non-compliant with the VHI or Type Approval in this case. I'll have to find the original article to find out.

Actually, The index is a Prefix, which indicates a 1987 Plate?, So late(ish) BL product, probably a "Longbridge" car?.

Pete

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

But owners put in more modern ICE, gearboxes etc. including conversion to EFI, so isn't electric conversions another step?. Some conversions have very little of the original car left, apart from looking about like when it left the factory.

Aha! That's the question: at what point does an upgrade / improvement go a step too far? Uprated sealed beams... halogen headlamps... HID headlamps... then angel eyes... or 1200 Triumph engine to 1500 Triumph engine to 1800 Triumph engine and then to Mazda engine... I suppose it all boils down to personal taste and what we believe it the limit before things go astray.

I agree it's their car to do with as they wish, but I don't agree with the smugness we often experience that tells me theirs is better 'because'.... and the rest of us are all dinosaurs because we can't see that.

• Like 1

I have no objection to converting any vehicle to electric as long as the original parts are retained and the conversion can be retrofitted back to original.
If it keeps our cars on the road then it is an option.
You can easily fit a low powered motor so the drivetrain and brakes don't get stressed and the electronics can be tuned to mimic the combustion engine.
Battery tech is getting better so range anxiety will be gone.
I am sure in a few years time after they get the noise simulation of rattly tappets spot on they will also get it to leak coloured vegetable oil from strategically placed reservoirs and with similar setups smoke and steam. Might even be able to program breakdowns due to age and mileage but that is more an MG thing.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Aha! That's the question: at what point does an upgrade / improvement go a step too far?

I bought the car for what it is, surely if someone needs to alter the car that much why buy it in the first place.

Upgrade a very much misused word in my opinion and any perceived improvement open to question if you dare.

Regards

Paul.

Found it, he admits to not knowing much about the Triumph so you can forgive some of his mistakes.
Personally I would put a few more batteries in the boot to increase range and bugger the space.
Anyone recognise the car?
The chap in the video mentions they do the conversions so they can be put back to original.

Edited by ahebron

15 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes but think Id put the extra batteries in the front to pull it down a bit more. Looks like theres plenty of room....

For this vid there are no batteries in it which is why the front is high. He talks at length about weight and balance. They still use the gearbox for ease of fitment, he says it's not used much because of the torque available from the motor, but I can't see it lasting long for the same reason!

Doug

• Like 1