GT6 Mk3 Steering Wheel

Hello everyone, I have what I think is a TR steering wheel, that will eventually go into my Mk3 GT6. Looking at pictures of GT6 Mk3 steering wheels, the diameter of the outer ring (the part you hold) looks greater/thicker than the wheel I have. Would one of you kind people mind measuring the diameter of outer ring/the part you hold and let me know what it measures.

Regards~

Edited by Blakes73

I just ran a quick on-line check but can't really see much difference; both GT6 wheel and TR6 wheel look 'almost' identical but although I've seen it quoted that the GT6 received a 'TR6-style' wheel, I can't verify any differences especially the thickness of the rim.

If the diameter is the same then at least the steering won't be affected, as it is with smaller wheels that make it really heavy. (I once tried an Opel GT wheel that was very nice looking but huge, couldn't even get my legs under it....)

Edited by Colin Lindsay
  • Like 1

I believe original GT6 and TR6 steering wheels were 15 inch diameter. On both my TR and my GT, I have 14 inch wheels. This feels like an ideal compromise to me, large enough not to be too heavy at parking speeds, but slightly smaller for faster steering response.

Also, for taller drivers, the smaller wheel gives more space for the thighs.

Nigel

On 29/10/2023 at 20:05, dougbgt6 said:

One of ours at East Berks has power steering on his Spitfire and a tiny  steering wheel.

Doug

I say! That IS tiny. 

I agree with Nigel, having too much leg and too little room, but semi-dished also helps bring the rim up and away from the thighs. I also fitted a Vitesse wheel to the Herald and the inch or so difference was very helpful whilst not affecting the turning resistance. 

I have a 12" Astrali wheel on my GT6 mk2, which has about an inch of dish. It came with the car in 1977 and as I was only 21 years old at the time, I thought it was cool (still is quite).

The steering is quite heavy at low speeds but absolutely fine once in normal driving and I've done over 130k miles with it.  I run 27/24 psi front/rear (to suit the frontal weight bias) on 175/70-13 tyres.

I have tried the larger GT6 wheel (I bought and fitted one back in the 80s when my wife needed to use the car) but find it just too restrictive on my legs as I hate to drive with splayed knees.

A bigger wheel might work for me, if it had a substantial dish.

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster
update

33 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

I have tried the larger GT6 wheel (I bought and fitted one back in the 80s when my wife needed to use the car) but find it just too restrictive on my legs as I hate to drive with splayed knees.

Don't forget the in and out adjustment of the steering column.  Coupled with a semi-dished wheel it can be the solution for even 6 ft + drivers

C.

If the steering is too heavy with any given steering wheel, you can always over inflate the tyres.

They will wear out in the centre faster than they should, but how many of us do enough miles during the safe life of a tyre to wear it out. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/10/2023 at 15:44, Blakes73 said:

Hello everyone, I have what I think is a TR steering wheel, that will eventually go into my Mk3 GT6. Looking at pictures of GT6 Mk3 steering wheels, the diameter of the outer ring (the part you hold) looks greater/thicker than the wheel I have. Would one of you kind people mind measuring the diameter of outer ring/the part you hold and let me know what it measures.

Regards~

Hi,

Not sure if you got what you were looking for ? My GT6 Mk3 steering wheel (with the three arms with a slit in each) is 14 1/2 " outer edge to outer edge and the actual rim width is 1" measured on the front. Circumference is 3". There are some ergonomic bumps on the reverse to aide grip. I agree, I also find it very thin to hold but then that is because we are used to lovely shaped ergo wheels in our daily cars I guess. I'm looking at the leather covers which someone else has posted about.

^ great photo Doug :D

On 27/10/2023 at 15:44, Blakes73 said:

Would one of you kind people mind measuring the diameter of outer ring/the part you hold and let me know what it measures.

My TR4A has a wooden rimmed steering wheel, but having driven others I think it is much the same dimensions as standard. . .

P1450902s.jpg.09235c8c2a5d40d37b8b1992ccc99168.jpg    P1450903s.jpg.aeb43d6627640c18e7e197cd76257eff.jpg

Outside diameter is a tad shy of 15" (around about 14-7/8 to 15/16") and as you can see in the second photo the rim is about 3/4".

I wouldn't want much less diameter for car-park manoeuvring running on 28psi tyre pressures and 165/80-15 tyres.  Harder pressure is lighter but you feel it in the car's ride. I've set my car's steering geometry to be responsive. I wouldn't want it any more so. Indeed I'll soon be checking and readjusting it.. to lessen the car's presently slight vagueness at motorways speeds.   

Do bear in mind, when you try a different sizes of steering wheel ; your reach to the column switches as well as visibility to both major and minor gauges.   I'm 6'-5" and a little too broad for a TR4 but the diameter of this size of steering wheel and it's relatively shallow dish are not a problem for me either when driving or when getting in and out. Mind you I have discarded the H-frame so i have more room for my knee over the gearbox cover.  I did modify the rear wheel arches to move the seats much further back, so my legs are straighter than with the standard geometry, and I'm now sitting in leather TR6 (tilt backrest) seats with good diaphragms and foam. They offer better under-thigh support (are higher in the squab) than the Mazda Mx5 seats I had until recently.  

Hope that helps.   Pete

Edited by Bfg

On 06/12/2023 at 18:24, Bfg said:

^ great photo Doug :D

My TR4A has a wooden rimmed steering wheel, but having driven others I think it is much the same dimensions as standard. . .

P1450902s.jpg.09235c8c2a5d40d37b8b1992ccc99168.jpg    P1450903s.jpg.aeb43d6627640c18e7e197cd76257eff.jpg

Outside diameter is a tad shy of 15" (around about 14-7/8 to 15/16") and as you can see in the second photo the rim is about 3/4".

I wouldn't want much less diameter for car-park manoeuvring running on 28psi tyre pressures and 165/80-15 tyres.  Harder pressure is lighter but you feel it in the car's ride. I've set my car's steering geometry to be responsive. I wouldn't want it any more so. Indeed I'll soon be checking and readjusting it.. to lessen the car's presently slight vagueness at motorways speeds.   

Do bear in mind, when you try a different sizes of steering wheel ; your reach to the column switches as well as visibility to both major and minor gauges.   I'm 6'-5" and a little too broad for a TR4 but the diameter of this size of steering wheel and it's relatively shallow dish are not a problem for me either when driving or when getting in and out. Mind you I have discarded the H-frame so i have more room for my knee over the gearbox cover.  I did modify the rear wheel arches to move the seats much further back, so my legs are straighter than with the standard geometry, and I'm now sitting in leather TR6 (tilt backrest) seats with good diaphragms and foam. They offer better under-thigh support (are higher in the squab) than the Mazda Mx5 seats I had until recently.  

Hope that helps.   Pete

Thanks.