Peter James Insurance

Robin

Just received my renewal letter from Peter James. Last year I paid £126.80 but this has now gone up to £235.69 - a 86.5% increase! It seems the only reason to stay with PJ is the agreed valuation - but has anyone found better deals?

Thanks

Robin

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Just received my renewal letter from Peter James. Last year I paid £126.80 but this has now gone up to £235.69 - a 86.5% increase! It seems the only reason to stay with PJ is the agreed valuation - but has anyone found better deals?

Thanks

Robin

I've just had a Quote off them for £146 for an A1+ Condition Vitesse.

Why don't you call them an see what they can do?

From my past experience with Insurance companies (Lancaster) they put the premium up every year as a matter of course, but when you actually talk to them you can get the renewal for a similar value to the previous year.

Gary

10 hours ago, Robin said:

Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin give them a call and tell them it’s not a good enough price 

Co-incidently, I`ve just moved my 13/60 (Plum) from Lancaster to P-J. Result = a slightly better overall price. It`s "normal practice" in the insurance industry to find the renewal vastly inflated from the previous year. Usually if you have a word with them they suddenly find a better price, especially if you have a couple of quotes to hand from other providers.

At the moment ALL insurance across the board is increasing, allegedly to do with increased repair and refurbishment costs. And (of course) they have to maintain/increase profit margins to satisfy the demand of investors.

Pete

• Like 1

Mine has gone up from £133.00 to over £170.00 Still relatively cheap, however there are much better deals out there, with agreed valuation and breakdown cover. Shop around!  

Shopping around is always wise and make sure that you compare apples with apples when judging price/value - if you discover that oranges are cheaper than apples do check that it is indeed oranges you wish to buy.

…….. Andy

increases due to claims should be firmly loaded onto the claimants not the no claimers 

i dont agree with loading every customer with the risk of the idiots or high repair cost vehicles 

dont get me started on EV repair costs 

Pete

On 12/07/2024 at 12:10, Gary Flinn said:

From my past experience with Insurance companies (Lancaster) they put the premium up every year as a matter of course, but when you actually talk to them you can get the renewal for a similar value to the previous year.

Gary

I really hate companies who do that and have talked on the phone about why they hit me with a renewal of, say £500 then tell me, when I phone, they can do it for £320. I don't need a Henry Cole-style haggle, nor so I need to be hoodwinked into paying an unnecessarily high price just because they think I can throw money away and so won't enquire. Is there any other kind of business, anywhere, that does that kind of practice?

• Like 1

Similar here in Aus house and family car insurance went up 40% this year after negoiation and keeping similar payouts reduced it to around 10% increase

got advice of a 14% increase on household gas this week on checking the retailers website I determined I could get a 14%  reduction on both gas and electric even tho I negotiated their cheapest supply rates for both gas and electric supposed Seniors discounted rates last year, so effectively status quo!

They have no respect for existing customers were just MUPPET’s

Ironically our classic car insurance only goes up notionally each year if on club permit ie max 45 days personnel use annually

Edited by Peter Truman

I just got my invitation to renew from Peter James. up £5 to £141. GT6 mk3 agreed value £16k.

Documentation also includes a reminder to renew my TSSC agreed valuation and a TSSC valuation form.

Doug

our modern (70 reg) Golf GTE hybrid  insured with saga went from £400 to £800 pounds. Talked to a friend and he had the same experience. Shopped around and got it back down to £400 not sure I really understand what the insurance companies are up to. Maybe just trying it on.....
My Herald went up but by 5% so stayed with P James. And no increase due to increased agreed  valuation.

mike

I know nothing about    business and marketing, so I find it difficult to understand  this about insurance companies:

The basic need to find  new customers seems to outweigh any attempts to try and retain  existing ones.

I would thought a choice between new customers, with their unknown histories and existing clients ,would favour trying to retain the steady  income from the established ones, many of whom have built long track records regarding their lack of claims; their honesty in submitting any they may have made, and a history of being good ‘payers’  by offering renewal rates at least comparable to those offered to their new customers - or even some  token rewards.A marketing plan could even attempt to exploit  the long dead notion of brand loyalty.

I would have thought the ideal insurance customer is someone reassuringly dull, honest and reliable

- and lucky 

On 27/07/2024 at 11:05, Unkel Kunkel said:

I know nothing about    business and marketing, so I find it difficult to understand  this about insurance companies:

The basic need to find  new customers seems to outweigh any attempts to try and retain  existing ones.

It's all based on lazyness.  A lot of people will accept a higher renewal premium from their current insurer rather than spend the time getting alternative quotes so the insurance companies offer a lower premium/take a lower margin to get your business, hoping you'll be too busy/lazy to go through the process again in 12 months (and by god do some of them make it hard work - gave up getting a quote from one insurer as it was taking hours to check all the boxes for modifications I'd made!).

i have John  a  local member who is with footman james  had a quote for around £650 for his 2019 Jag and Spitfire

i suggested he tried Peter James with the new club offering

well   first phone call they dont do multi car we cant help you.!!!!!!!!!!  bood bye 

i said phone a again and ask for tssc multi car cover  .....different agent , well he says you need 3 cars to get multi cover  ....What !!!!!    the courier advert is quite clear no mention of minimum car ownership 

well says John i can add the herald  thats 3 cars ,well the jag will start at £1000   before anything else 

they just dont want the business , 

bring back mr james    and sensible plans 

the tssc proposal  seems a bit   doomed   nobody at PJ know whats going on .

certainly John wont be trying again 

my multi car with PJ ends in december and thats the 2000 and the C5X i wonder what that will be 

as only 2 cars i  get the feeling its shop around .

or take up using Taxi's

Pete

My renewal from Peter James has gone up from £266 to £312 for my two 'specials'.  I don't know if the agreed valuation of £7500 on the pickup had anything to do with it, as previously it was not agreed at £5000.

I might try around.

Just taken out insurance for the Spit with PJ after 13 years with Lancaster. PJ were £17 cheaper than Lancaster cost me LAST year! Lancaster's quote for renewal was £50 more expensive than last year, although that would come tumbling down with my annual "why has my premium gone up?" phone call.

Cheers, Richard

Edited by rlubikey