Spin on oil filter spanner

Mack

Has anyone had any success with a particular syle of oil filter spanner for the spin on conversion? I'm doing my first oil change of my GT6 and the spin on filter is refusing to spin off!

There seems to be various different types so I wondered if anyone had a recommendation?

Cheers

It is tight especially if you have the filter angled down as much as possible so I use one of these but with the threaded rod reduced in length to make it easier to get a bit of movement. Youve only got to get it unstuck and then do it by hand....

image.png.316300a859fccb3283da4a09d9f3364c.png

I've the same type for use on my 13/60 although I only needed it the first time I changed the filter, the previous owner must have used something of the sort to tighten it. Hand tight is all it needs.

Hello All

I have used that type for years !

Plus I admit I use it to nip it up a touch as often it is difficult to get a grip on some of them?

Roger

ps the Good ones tell you how much to turn when all slack has gone and I oil the seal

Always in the past when I  had a Herald used the subtle approach, knock a screwdriver through it and use same as a lever.

Had my Vitesse for about thirty years, always stuck with the standard setup, bought a conversion years ago it still sits in its box.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 1

you wonder why so many gorrila's work on our cars 

most have the instructions  finger nip then 1/4 turn  is all it needs 

i have a little used  chain( its a motor bike chain) and a 1/2" drive for your ratchet 

there are so many versions  you cant test them all   Ha !

Pete

3 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Always in the past when I  had a Herald used the subtle approach, knock a screwdriver through it and use same as a lever.

Had my Vitesse for about thirty years, always stuck with the standard setup, bought a conversion years ago it still sits in its box.

Regards

Paul.

Its a messy enough job as it is without sticking screwdrivers through full filters! True the spin on adaptor does make it more difficult especially if youve still got the side valance fitted...

1 hour ago, johny said:

True the spin on adaptor does make it more difficult especially if youve still got the side valance fitted...

Swap the car for a 13/60, no hassles removing the filter 😁

• Like 1

And youve got a vitesse with spin on filter angled as low as possible plus valences Steve? I feel much happier tweeking my new filter thats got to last two years with a tool of some kind...

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you have sufficient access room try one of these three-legged guys on a ratchet, there are varying qualities but mine is more solid than the one in the photo and works very well:

Bought one of those but not enough access on a Vitesse with a spin on angled down.

Iain 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you have sufficient access room try one of these three-legged guys on a ratchet, there are varying qualities but mine is more solid than the one in the photo and works very well:

51Tlnd58pgL._SX679_-2769027953.jpg.27c4b55d9f7cdd93be7164a289f911a7.jpg

WED it works for me too Colin had mine 25 yrs and used successfully on many cars 

Te Vitesse I’ve stuck with the original cartridge never liked the restrictive angle of the metal canister fitment!