GT6 Mk3 Stolen in Bishops Stortford

Qu1ckn1ck

• 5 weeks later...

That is not right. I despair

but, these cars can be rebuilt, so although that is not a comfort or the answer, I hope it won’t be scrapped. 

I ma looking for a GT6 project so I would be interested in buying this if the owner decided not to restore it

slightly OT, but when a car is burnt out how much damage is done to the shell? Is it distorted due to the heat and how much damage is done to the engine and transmission?

I know it does not help the original owner and its horrible that it has been torched so it cant be traced but I was just wondering if it can be restored?

Mike

It depends where the main fire was and how hot it has burnt. That one looks to still have some traces of paint on the shell so maybe not that hot. Still likely to be some distortion and buckling of panels.

If it's been in the insurance system it's moot anyway as fire damaged cars (unless damage is trivial) are automatically flagged for crushing and no parts can be salvaged. This dues to concerns about the health and environmental effects of the burnt plastics, rubbers, paints etc.

Years ago a friend did manage to rebuild his GT6 following a cabin fire caused by overdrive wiring. It was quite a mission even though the engine bay was untouched and the fire was put out quite swiftly. Everything inside the car had to be renewed and iirc he ended up putting a sunroof in to sidestep dealing with the distortion in the roof panel.

Nick

It can have a detrimental effect on the metal, from the chemical composition point of view; I know it's a slightly different topic but during the War (yes THAT war and no, I wasn't there!) if a tank went on fire it couldn't be salvaged due to the metal now being unusable. Consequently armies on both sides used to burn any damaged tanks they came across to prevent their re-use.

I'll wait for the 'expert' opinion on whether or not it can be salvaged; it may still be possible but I'd expect buckling or distortion of the heavier metal especially the chassis.

• 1 year later...

Double whammy... parked in a lane for long periods, and someone highlighted it on Social Media as being dumped...

However these days theft is just a result of deprivation and lack of opportunity, so we can't really blame the thieves. No doubt they lit the fire to keep themselves warm...

• Sad 1

My modern has an ABS fault, a traction control fault, a rear wheel speed sensor fault, a gear box fault, the air con doesn't work and the engine coolant is disappearing. MOT runs out in 2 weeks and it needs 2 new tyres.

Hang on :o I have an idea. :ph34r:

Doug

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I'll keep mum doug, though I thought "moderns" were reliable  and the muts nuts anyway.

Dave

I regularly get offered 'bargains' from the mate's breakers and dealers business, one Jag recently had 23 faults on the dashboard display. Far too many gimmicks to go wrong.

I was born with a pair of fluid level and tyre pressure sensors and they're still working. :)

Been for a socially distanced test drive of a newer modern. You go out on your own, but they hang on to your driving license as security. Little do they know I have two! ( I re-applied before New year, I assume the first was done before the office party and the second two weeks after 🤪).  

Newer modern has tyre pressure sensors! And the wing mirrors fold in by electrics, useful in Waitrose car park, not that I'm allowed to go there. I have a sinking feeling. 

Doug

Got mine sorted in March but couldn't collect it 'til end of May. I think the valeting department was still furloughed though. Found bits of straw under the mats and an old chicken bone under the passenger seat. The inside of the petrol filler panel hadn't been cleaned since new, and this was a main dealer not some back street garage.

When I bought the Mondeo there was the usual: 'give us a few days to get it through MOT and valeted' palaver from the dealer. I picked it up a week later and the boot was full of children's toys, with baby clothes in the compartments on the rear of the front seats; they'd been using it for the school run and to / from the childminders.