Winter classic run outs

Gully

I know many people tuck their cars away for the winter, but I'm sure there's many who do not, given the attendance at New Year's Day meets and the January Bicester Scramble in this part of the world. Hence I thought I'd start a topic for those of us who use our cars all year round to share news of our outings.

I took the GT6 out today. Lovely dry roads washed clean of salt by the recent rain, and a cracking sunset with a flock of starlings wheeling and diving over Oughtonhead Common as we arrived home! Only around 25 miles - Jessica (8 year old daughter) and I headed from Hitchin down the Codicote Road to Welwyn Village, then up to the Vauxhall dealers at Knebworth to collect a new mirror case for Mrs Gully, who had a mirror clash with someone a couple of weeks ago. Then back to Welwyn and a quick blast up the A1(M) to Stevenage north exit and a visit to the Wyvale garden centre for a voucher. Back to Hitchin via Graveley, Great Wymondley and Willian. Cobwebs removed from the past 10 days of being static!

Gully

• Like 3

Sadly my spitfire is undergoing some remedial work (a bit if chassis strengthening at the front, but also accident repairs where a dear lady "forgot" we were in front of her in a traffic queue.

However, our Toledo is in everyday use, getting the lady wife to and from work when I need our "bus" for my work, and also used to do many other journeys. It was the only Triumph in the car park for the area Xmas lunch, but we also have a planned NYD run. But I do enjoy taking it for a good winter blast too. In fact, I think Sunday it will get a decent run out for a lunch somewhere! I like driving my Triumphs, as opposed to tolerate driving the modern cars.

35 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Unfortunately I think our local council have shares in a salt mine. 

"It's December, get the gritters out, don't stop till March!"

Doug

I nearly got knocked off my bike by a council salt wagon last night.

"You dozy b*****d" I shouted, through gritted teeth

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've just got back from a very long run round the coast roads and lanes of my corner of Sussex. It has been the most glorious, crisp and sunny day but I do drive my Spitfire frequently throughout the year. I try not to worry about it getting wet or salty as I know it is rust free and well protected at the moment and it is unlikely to corrode much before I am either too old to drive it or emissions/safety legislation or the limited availability of petrol restricts my using it anyway. 

I know our cars are getting valuable and that they may be the product of hundreds of hours of careful restoration work but they were meant to be driven, and driven by young men and women who all believed that they were Stirling Moss. Today, on the roads round Sussex, Stirling was having a ball.

sat 22dec.jpg

• Like 5

I use mine all year round. I think/hope, if protected, Waxoil, etc and hosed off, dirt scraped from known mud traps after winter (roads not salted much here), Try and avoid water entering floors, deck, boot,  then okish?.

Back in the day, most of these motors were neglected body/chassis wise, did higher mileage in wet, more salty conditions. Not surprising they were rust buckets after 10 years or so I imagine?.

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

12 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I use mine all year round. I think/hope, if protected, Waxoil, etc and hosed off, dirt scraped from known mud traps after winter (roads not salted much here), Try and avoid water entering floors, deck, boot,  then okish?.

Back in the day, most of these motors were neglected body/chassis wise, did higher mileage in wet, more salty conditions. Not surprising they were rust buckets after 10 years or so I imagine?.

Dave  

Common for outriggers to be replaced after 4-5 years, and many cars rusted away well before 10 years. What we have now are the survivors, either because they were very well cared for, or unusually well assembled. But I am very much in favor of continued use with regular good wash/hose down off to remove crud. I have found the garden centre "hanging basket" watering attachments good for accessing under the car and doing the wheel arches. Or just drive though some big puddles....

Never gone in for New Year's Day runs - I believe it to be an afront to nature if you're in any condition to drive on New Year's Day.

I also don't believe in locking my car up for half the year.  Did London to Bristol on Saturday (with the rear window zipped out - very wrong for December), up to folks near Stroud yesterday, and already done a slightly foggy cross-country run to the supermarket in Stroud and back before work this morning.

On 22/12/2018 at 18:02, Adrian Cooper said:

I know our cars are getting valuable and that they may be the product of hundreds of hours of careful restoration work but they were meant to be driven, and driven by young men and women who all believed that they were Stirling Moss.

Good point and very true. Our cars are tougher than we think, sometimes.

Quote of the week? "I don't want to take my car as the bluetooth isn't working..."

Don't ask who said that to me, then borrowed my car... :)

I`m missing driving my Herald and Vitesse at the moment,clutch trouble with the Vitesse,because it`s a 2.5 with Saloon box it`s a pita to get out.

Herald is waiting for me to have a day where nobody is telling me what we are doing today,so i can actually get the new engine in.

The last 3 months must be the longest i have gone without a working Triumph for probably 10 years.

Usually go to the Brooklands New Years Day meeting,normally packed out.

Steve

Used the GT6 today for a pleasant run up to Bedford and back from Hitchin - only downside was yet another stretch of road with a reduced speed limit for no apparent reason alongside the Cardington hangars. I suspect more houses will be springing up soon... Would have been out in the car more over the Christmas period if I hadn't been 120 miles away from it!

Happy New Year everyone!

Gully

Sussex area had a good little run today. Brilliant organisation/route by Richard. And a rather good lunch (not that i really needed feeding again....)

Hopefully somebody will have some pics, but apart from my Toledo, there was a mk2(we think, but had twisty door handles) spit, mk3 spit, 2.5 Gitfire, Bond as well as Richards Vitesse. Sadly Ian's spit suffered from a spax shock undoing itself (3rd one I know of, but it seems to date back many years) and Martins Stag has a plug issue. Hopefully those 2 will be back on the road in a few days.