Sealey Jack -Can you help?

Paulfc

Hi,

Can anyone help with this please? Bought this some 18 months or so ago and have used it loads of times since. Used it Tuesday to lift the car onto stands. Noticed it wasn’t lifting as well as usual so decided to top up fluid. Fluid didn’t seem to be running in as it should. After much faffing and bleeding etc. with no improvement decided to empty the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid. In line with instructions I tipped the jack and the bits below fell out. I’ve spoken to Sealey “technical support” who could offer no explanation as to what they are or where they are from. Nearest service agent is miles away and Sealey say they have no spares available and won’t have for months. So, a small ball bearing, a large ball bearing and a spring fell out as shown below ( but not necessarily in that order). Has anyone any ideas as to what they are,  can they be replaced or will I have to buy a new jack to get the car off the stands!?

Paul

ps. if I do have to replace the jack any suggestions as to what to buy will be gratefully received.

F83BC913-C96A-417F-A3B4-85689B8231DB.jpeg

Edited by Paulfc

sale of goods act .  it must be of reasonable quality and capable of lasting a reasonable time  18months is not reasonable   you are entitled to a exchange or full refund 

their advert say they carry a full inventory of spares to keep your sealey products lasting for years .... or was that 18months  !!!!!!

would guess those are the non return pump valves 

keep an eye on Aldi   £19   2ton 3yr warranty none in sale this week 

Pete

It's from the hydraulic unit which sad to say might not be a user-serviceable part, so there's no schematic that I've been able to find that shows springs or ball bearings and more importantly where they go and in what sequence.

I have found a similar thread elsewhere on the Net, which sounds familiar:

977064552_ScreenShot2020-07-02at11_45_06.thumb.jpg.d25c236a3a2ef38ecad4be3bdcc0e3d6.jpg

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1169545

Sadly, he got no help. Don't waste your time on the 'Honest John' link on that thread either, it's useless as usual, which I suppose is a step up from wildly inaccurate or downright dangerous. There are dozens of videos on Youtube all of which seem to show topping up the oil as a cure-all, so no help. However: this video below shows a trolley jack stripdown; see 7.01 or thereabouts where he removes one large ballbearing and two smaller. Might jog the memory?

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

I had done a trawl of the net but didn’t pick anything up, I’ll be more thorough next time. I’ll speak with Machine Mart (Who I bought it from) later and see what they have to say. Got a feeling I won’t get anywhere with them so looks like I’ll be shopping this weekend. It’s really galling, hardly any use just simply not fit for purpose, grrrrrrrr!

22 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

I had done a trawl of the net but didn’t pick anything up, I’ll be more thorough next time. I’ll speak with Machine Mart (Who I bought it from) later and see what they have to say. Got a feeling I won’t get anywhere with them so looks like I’ll be shopping this weekend. It’s really galling, hardly any use just simply not fit for purpose, grrrrrrrr!

DO NOT say that you dismantled it or fiddled with it in any way, as this may give them a get-out clause... as for replacements, my Halfords trolley jack bought in Nottingham in 1994 is still going strong, but drops slightly over time; however a 5 ton bottle jack bought for more heavy duty usage failed at the first use (not Halfords) so you can have a bit of hit and miss.

10 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Hi Paul, check out this company https://www.sgs-engineering.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvon-vsqu6gIVo4BQBh3hywcEEAAYASAAEgJO_PD_BwE

I have no connection with them apart from buying stuff that has been decent quality. Slightly more expensive, but should last you.

Tony.

I was a fan of SGS and have 2 x 2 ton jacks . 1 failed after 13 months and the other one is slow . SGS didn’t want to help other than to sell spare parts which came to 80% of original cost . They only give 1 year warranty Since bought 2 from Aldi which are still working fine plus keep the receipt for 3 years and cheaper than SGS

Paul 

If feeling flushed, look at the Weber trolly jacks. MoD use them, and some of the big chains of tyre fitters. Had my new one about 5 years, the previous one I had for about 15, but was SH. I threw it away as the seals were leaking and the piston scored.Turns out it could have been rebuilt by weber.

In addition to Pete's reply any warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, you are not limited by the time they state. I always try for a refund as a repair or replacement can cause problems if the item fails again.

Regards

Paul

26 minutes ago, clive said:

If feeling flushed, look at the Weber trolly jacks. MoD use them, and some of the big chains of tyre fitters. Had my new one about 5 years, the previous one I had for about 15, but was SH. I threw it away as the seals were leaking and the piston scored.Turns out it could have been rebuilt by weber.

Another vote for weber, but they are expensive. Mine was over£400 about 30yrs ago, but still going strong. I havn't bought a jack off SGS but have bought garden stuff, very large tool chest and a compressor all of which i have had no problem with.

Tony. 

• Like 1

https://www.enwservices.com/shop/hydraulic-lifting-equipment/trolley-jack/standard-trolley-jack/wdk20/

£244 plus VAT. If you want the fot operated quick-lift, a few quid more (possibly worthwhile if you are impatient like I am)

Head and shoulders above Sealey etc in terms of feel/quality etc. and so controllable with letting a car back down (most are an on/off switch)

I've had a Halford's low profile 2 ton for 3 years. On special at the moment £50. Descent is controllable. 

I say I have it, it's currently round at my daughter's along with my power washer, sander, assorted BIG sockets and hedge trimmer. :angry:

Doug

All,

I spoke with Machine Mart who simply played back the 12 month warranty line.

I then spoke with Sealey who asked for an email outlining what I’d done. I got a reply from the Technical Manager asking a number of questions and asking for images to support what I’d said. I then was asked for a phone number and the TM called me to say I’d messed up! But, apparently, the instructions provided were somewhat ambiguous and, in good faith, I’d removed the wrong plug and I was not the only one! 

He then offered to send me a FOC replacement hydraulic unit if I was prepared to to fit it myself. Obviously I accepted, apologised and thanked him. 

What can I say other than outstanding customer service and all in the space of an afternoon. Thanks Sealey. 

Paul

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

my Halfords trolley jack bought in Nottingham in 1994 is still going strong,

My Halfords trolley jack was bought in Newbury in 1988 and still works fine. They don't make them like they used to 😛 🤔

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

My Halfords trolley jack was bought in Newbury in 1988 and still works fine. They don't make them like they used to 😛 🤔

Not Newbury, but similar timescale.  It's not pretty but it still works.  It came with two rebuild kits.  I used the first at the end of last year as it was getting a bit of ED.  That fixed it.

• 2 months later...

I have a 1-1/2ton Sealy Jack. I estimate it was purchased circa 1982(Ish). My son worked weekends at Camberley Auto Factors and got a staff discount on it. Still going strong, just a bit slow on the pump up these days. (may just need some oil?.) I could do with a 5ton one really. As I have a Merc Sprinter based Motorhome, which is far too heavy for the Sealy.

Pete