Some moral support regarding a ding !

dellyend1

Hi all, had my GT6 a week and having never dinged a car in the garage low be behold something has managed to drop off a shelf and ding the rear quarter of the car . I am pretty gutted ! I think it was a rampaging squirrel knocking a paint canister off.

anyway , I’m was not worried about paint as the car needs a full respray but I am rather anxious about the dent. I’d just like to know views / opinions from others experience as to how easily it is fixed at the point of respraying ? 

pics below and just trying to suss out of it could be pulled out from the surface by a body shop or if it is a filler job. I’ve had a look from inside the car and I think it is doubled skinned in that area and no way of getting acces to try and tap it out from underneath . 

if it could be improved by being pulled up from the surface I would probably take it to a body shop to get done in advance of a respray which I had planned for next year

any advice welcome as pretty annoyed 

with thanks 

jeremy

F1F7B49A-54EE-4E6B-B7A0-66E8D42AC558.jpeg

E160615A-1364-4DCC-8570-687F1F8A6DDF.jpeg

If you are going to have to refinish anyway?. The old trick of welding a bolt/stud into the base of the ding, and pulling it out?. it won`t come right out but should then fill and re-profile?.

Pete.

Yes cats bringing in birds is the worse! Feathers everywhere, mice and the like are fine as long as they are dead on arrival or soon after 😖 It's when they put them down and go and have a snack then when they come back look surprised the mouse isn't there any more.

While on the cat theme, we passed our interview and inspection last Saturday by a lost/abandoned cat and we are up to 4 now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes cats bringing in birds is the worse! Feathers everywhere

For months I was finding feathers on my garage floor, little piles of really dry stuff but no bones or carcasses. I couldn't understand it as my cats don't go in there, even if I'm working with the doors open. 

Eventually I moved the Herald body tub and had a huge puff of feathers come from the old bedspread I had covered it with. Came from my Grandfather's house many years ago and now has a tear, so the bird bits are escaping....

• Haha 1

If you are planning to have the body refinished in the near future, I'd probably leave it for the bodyshop, if they're any good.  I don't think you'd get that dent out from the outside - and I don't think the body is double skinned at that point, is it?  Needs checking, I think you could get access to the back of that.  Either way, unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't try to fix that yourself.  If you end up stretching or creasing the metal you make the repair a lot more difficult (and expensive).