Dashboard veneerers

jagnut66

Hi tony 

just seen your post regarding vaneering

ive purchased a new dash for my vitesse absolutely wonderful and very reasonably priced the company is called gdkveneering local too you “not too far away “ father and son excellent workmanship and a pleasure too meet and talk too. The have items on eBay for sale just look up veneer car dash products and you’ll see their workmanship

hope this helps 

mark 

Just to say thanks for all the replies and i will look into them, I now have a spare dash, which I want to alter first to accomodate a radio in place of the ashtray.

I don't smoke, so for me the ashtray is redundant.

Which means I have a good ashtray and it's corresponding bracket going free to anyone who wants it and is willing to cover the postage costs.

Or you can collect it from Mansfield in Nottinghamshire, if you are nearby. 

I've been meaning to ask, is there is a local branch of the club near me?

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mark Seniac said:

Hi tony 

just seen your post regarding vaneering

ive purchased a new dash for my vitesse absolutely wonderful and very reasonably priced the company is called gdkveneering local too you “not too far away “ father and son excellent workmanship and a pleasure too meet and talk too. The have items on eBay for sale just look up veneer car dash products and you’ll see their workmanship

hope this helps 

mark 

Hi Mark,

You have caught me out there, why i didn't think of them i don't know as it's the son in law of a friend of mine who is also a Triumph owner. I have seen their work and as you say it's excellent.

Tony. 

Re-veneered my dash 30 odd years ago. A customer was big into cabinets making and got the veneer for me, mahogany, I think. He told me to use Evo stick contact adhesive. Roughly cut the veneer to the size of the panel allowing a decent overhang all around. Thinly apply the adhesive to dash and veneer. Allow to go off according to the adhesive instructions Then working from one end, press the veneer onto the dash excluding all the air as you go along (I have subsequently learned that if you put silicone release paper between the items, you can peel back the paper and press the veneer on more easily) Carefully press down, you can use a rubber roller for this. Allow to dry off fully. Then carefully cut out the holes and trim the edges, with a very sharp knife. Finish off all the edges gently with reducing grades of sandpaper. When you are satisfied, gently smooth the surface with reducing grades of wire wool. Take care not to rub through especially at the edges. Then rub over, using a soft, lint free cloth soaked in Danish Oil. Leave to dry. Then wire wool/Danish Oil until the desired depth of finish is achieved, then finish off will wax polish. Simples!! Do not discard your Danish Oil soaked cloths in a bin, they may spontaneously combust (seriously). Yes, it took forever to do but looks nice. Mine needs retreating now as it's suffered from use but still looks reasonable...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-gates-barricade-outside-diameter-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/39/

.. towards the bottom of the page. Hope that this helps, any questions, please ask. It's not difficult but it is time consuming to do it right

Edited by Badwolf
Spell checker invasion!!!

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Re-veneered my dash 30 odd years ago. A customer was big into cabinets making and got the vaneer for me, mahogany, I think. He told me to use Evo stick contact adhesive. Roughly cut the vaneer to the size of the panel allowing a decent overhang all around. Thinly apply the adhesive to dash and vander. Allow to go off according to the adhesive instructions Then working from one end, press the vaneer onto the dash excluding all the air as you go along (I have subsequently learned that if you put silicone release paper between the items, you can peel back the paper and press the vaneer on more easily) Carefully press down, you can use a rubber roller for this. Allow to dry off fully. Then carefully cut out the holes and trim the edges, with a very sharp knife. Finish off all the edges gently with reducing grades of sandpaper. When you are satisfied, gently smooth the surface with reducing grades of wire wool. Take care not to rub through especially at the edges. Then rub over, using a soft, lint free cloth soaked in Danish Oil. Leave to dry. Then wire wool/Danish Oil until the desired depth of finish is achieved, then finish off will wax polish. Simples!! Do not discard your Danish Oil soaked cloths in a bin, they may spontaneously combust (seriously). Yes, it took forever to do but looks nice. Mine needs retreating now as it's suffered from use but still looks reasonable...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/2623-gates-barricade-outside-diameter-nose-to-tail-1972-spitfire-mkiv-restoration-upgrades/page/39/

.. towards the bottom of the page. Hope that this helps, any questions, please ask. It's not difficult but it is time consuming to do it right

I might give this a try as a Winter project. I can't make my dash any worse than it is already 🤔

I had the 13/60`s out of the garage loft recently, and it looks reasonable. So maybe strip the "Varnish" and see if a good quality Marine varnish will perk it up I think. May try the "Cuddy" lid first, to see?.

Pete

Hello Cliff

I re veneered the dashboard in Spitty about 5 years ago and it still looks good.

I used this glue 

Gorilla Glue 60ml 1044202 Multi Purpose Extra Strong Glue | eBay

I used this coating.

It is not difficult but takes time!

I think I put about 10 coats on it with lots of flatting down in between final grade was 2000 wet and dry then Rustins burnishing cream.

Roger

ps just about to do the Vitesse one.

DSC00299.JPG

DSC02348.JPG

11 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Cliff

I re veneered the dashboard in Spitty about 5 years ago and it still looks good.

I used this glue 

I used this coating.

It is not difficult but takes time!

I think I put about 10 coats on it with lots of flatting down in between final grade was 2000 wet and dry then Rustins burnishing cream.

Roger

ps just about to do the Vitesse one.

DSC00299.JPG

DSC02348.JPG

That looks great. What wood is that veneer?

2 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

That looks great. What wood is that veneer?

Hello Cliff

I can not remember but I will look through my notes and see if I can find the name!

I think it was African something?

I have enough left to do the Vitesse dashboard.

Roger

Hello Cliff

I think it may be this one?

BUBINGA (KEVA) | Woodsons Industry

I think Burr Walnut is to OTT for Triumphs (they were a mass produced cars!) but the standard finish was picked by bean counters! and they would need to know supplies would be consistent! (RR did not have the same problem!)

Roger

Roger there must have been exceptions, I had a 66, 1200 Herald Conv from 67 to 70 that had a darkish burr pattern which was a perfect mirror image with a distinct line down the vertical centre line of the dash. Gee how I wish my current Mk2 Vitesse (1970 to current) had that dash, the Vitesse's dash is mediocre by comparison it's a light stain and no where near a mirror pattern, as you said a bean counters special! 

My Dad did mine a couple of years ago - but then he did restore antiques as a hobby as well as being a cabinet maker (woodwork teacher but always described himself as that!)

I bought a second hand dash - which it turned out that the one that was in the car was the wrong one.

Before:

1021880446_1DX_0275CanonEOS-1DX.thumb.jpg.09f8023e756a5f3b8c6bf692ab7fabc0.jpg

IMG_5549.thumb.jpg.52420c114b347fffdd09cf15e42ac659.jpg

And yes it does need to be repolished. And the pressure gauge is going to come out too - its served its purpose now. and is only a worry meter :)

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

My Dad did mine a couple of years ago - but then he did restore antiques as a hobby as well as being a cabinet maker (woodwork teacher but always described himself as that!)

I bought a second hand dash - which it turned out that the one that was in the car was the wrong one.

Before:

And yes it does need to be repolished. And the pressure gauge is going to come out too - its served its purpose now. and is only a worry meter :)

Looks so much nicer. I'm definitely going to have a go at doing this myself 👍

• Like 1

Cliff.b - It is a very satisfying project especially over the winter, when you can spend time on it. One thing that I forgot to mention in my instructions was that you don't need to strip the original finish off if it is sound. What you must do is gently sand off any polish or varnish and thoroughly clean and degrease before applying the adhesive. Now you just have the problem of what type of veneer you are going to choose.

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Before:

Looks good, i did mine but rushed it by putting too much on too soon. It will have to do for now. One day i will find the patience enough to do it properly but too much of a hurry now.

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Cliff.b - It is a very satisfying project especially over the winter, when you can spend time on it. One thing that I forgot to mention in my instructions was that you don't need to strip the original finish off if it is sound. What you must do is gently sand off any polish or varnish and thoroughly clean and degrease before applying the adhesive. Now you just have the problem of what type of veneer you are going to choose.

My current finish is wood effect vinyl and underneath it looks like white primer ☹️

I assume that your facia is plywood, not plastic. If plywood, just strip of the wood effect, gently sand the primer, clean, panel wipe and off you go. You may have to clean off residual adhesive from the vinyl by either sanding or spirit cleaner like thinners.

Hello All

I have sorted out my spare piece of veneer it looks ok just a bit wrinkled but I have wet it and clamped it between 2 sheets of plywood with some lining paper to flatten it.

I have done a bit of reinforcing of the cardboard backing and the plywood front.

The one in Spitty still looks good and not faded(we rarely put the hood up unless peeing down!  

Roger

DSC02350.JPG

DSC02352.JPG

DSC02354.JPG

• Like 1