Is this a Vitesse fuel tank?

Jeffds1360

Herald 948 / 1200 on left, 13/60 and Vitesse on right. The bigger tank was made by enlarging the outer side, so the seam is central on the smaller tanks but off to the filler side on larger, plus there's a supporting foot on the larger that screws into the side of the spare wheel well. There's also a difference in the size of the curved metal outlet pipe, the larger tank has a larger pipe - I'm assuming this was for all rather than just 6-cylinder cars.

IMG_0744.jpg

Mine`s a 71, (70 Build) with the larger tank. However I believe that, from the internal condition, it to be a replacement. A lot of work/replacement had been done over the last 20 years, according to the "file". Just the body/chassis neglected (sadly). When I had the body off, I replaced the whole fuel pipework with 8mm Copper. one length front to rear. where it goes through outriggers it`s sleeved with plastic, and clipped periodically.

image.thumb.png.d80af0c6500e08fd6078d338b045d0bb.png

The tank is on the shelf in the background.

Pete

• Thanks 1

My Mk2 Vitesse now has the small tank, which was NOS or CKD here, I had to replace the old larger tank as it was rusty. It does mean I carry a 2 gallon reserve can in the boot. The smaller tank does mean you have to anticipate and fill up frequently with a 6 potter 2 lt engine, esp with the distances we cover in this big wide land!

Don't ask me why I had a rusty tank I didn't till I loaned my good one to a fellow club member as his was leaking and he sold his car with my tank still in it, so I inherited  a holey one!!

Jeff

I had the 8 and 7mm copper pipe and the fittings from another (Motor-home gas related job) which was slightly short, with a reducing fitting I extended it with the 7mm to the engine bay. Where they pass through gaps in the outriggers they are in protective sleeving, an attempt to protect from fretting and failure. The same applies where they pass through panels etc; (The Black Bits). You are viewing the “trial phase”.

Hope your Chemo Goes OK. They are alleged to be far less aggressive now, than even 10 years ago, when my mate was undergoing it. Good Luck

Pete

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

So are the outlet and pipework all 1/4" on the small tank and 5/16" on the larger vitesse and late 13/60?

My late 13/60 has 5/16 outlet and also the first pipe section then reverts to 1/4 for all the rest !!

I'll be replacing the 13/60 tank in the New Year and will just connect a suitable rubber hose to the tank outlet then run a length of 1/4" all the way to the pump. I don't see any benefit in having a join between two different sizes of metal pipe, especially when it's only the 4-cylinder engine. I haven't checked the actual size of the currently fitted pipe, but suspect that it's 1/4" for the 13/60 and 5/16" for the Vitesse, same as the GT6 was. 

As was found on the other thread I mentioned, the Triumph workshop manual indicates that a higher output pressure than recommended is quite possible and the solution is to pack out the pump from the mounting on the block so reducing the travel of the operating lever on the cam and dropping the pressure. This is logical and seems to work so theres probably nothing wrong with the Rimmers pumps. In fact it wouldnt surprise me at all if, after some use, the pressure of a new pump drops anyway as its spring weakens👍