its cold check your tyre pressures

40 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

while its cold please check your tyre pressures

Cold has nothing to do with it. I haven't pumped up the modern's front left for almost a week, it definitely is flat by now. That's what you get for letting the MOT station get the tyres replaced, I suppose.

A bit back I mentioned that the tyre warning light was coming on and going off depending on the temperature. Before I actually got around to inflating them all, I nipped out to the supermarket. Warning light came on....hit a pothole, warning light went off....simple fixes are always the best!!!  Yes, I really did check them including.....yes the spare....a real full sized spare.

Just before Xmas I visited Waitrose. There was a newish Golf GTI parked next to me. I noticed that the front left tyre had a large cut in the sidewall and the tyre was completely bald across a third of its width. I was getting ready to leave, when the owner - a very poshly spoken lady turned up. I felt obliged to warn her of how dangerous the tyre was. She remarked that the car had only had it's MOT the week before and couldn't understand what had happened. Then she recalled that she hit a very large pothole in the last few days! Some people are completely oblivious to the dangers of damaged/worn tyres!

Gav

I did a quick calculation on my modern which gives an inflation pressure of 32 psig which equates to about 3.18 bar absolute.  Assuming that the tyre was inflated with air at 20 deg C, 293 deg K, then ignoring any change in volume of the tyre, it equates to about 28.8 psig at 0 deg.C

50 minutes ago, GrahamB said:

I did a quick calculation on my modern which gives an inflation pressure of 32 psig which equates to about 3.18 bar absolute.  Assuming that the tyre was inflated with air at 20 deg C, 293 deg K, then ignoring any change in volume of the tyre, it equates to about 28.8 psig at 0 deg.C

Too complicated for me - I just kick the tyres 😉

I had another ABS sensor fault on my 2013 Passat this week, it brings up all sorts of warnings from tyre pressure, ABS, stability control etc.etc.

Read it with my cheap OBD reader,it`s the same corner i changed about 18 months ago,that was a Bosch sensor, could only get Pagid this time, fitted and cleared the faults yesterday.

My Vitesse front passenger side wheels goes as low as 10 Psi when left standing,the Revolution rim or valve must be leaking.

Steve

14 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

fill tyres with nitrogen as that doesnt change with temperature

I don't think that's the reason, as I don't think it's true. Nitrogen is dry, meaning less corrosion. You might argue that being dry means no moisture to transition between liquid and gas... but that would happen at very hot, especially as the tyre pressure pushes the boiling point up. Pumping the air in, up to pressure, causes condensation. It may be that the TPM sensors misread when wet, in which case dry nitrogen will help with that. But in terms of the calculation Graham did, Nitrogen behaves exactly the same as (dry) air.

• Like 1

Nitrogen pressure will alter with temperature the same as any other gas upto about 300 bar, 1500 psi, when non ideal interactions become significant.  This assumes there is no change in state, gas to liquid or liquid to gas.  One of the advantages of nitrogen may be that it does not cause degradation by oxidation which will be greater on the inside of the tyre compared with the exterior as the partial pressure of oxygen will be approximately three times higher.

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm washing it, Chris, not buying it....

Colin, will a Herald fit inside your horse trailer? It just gave me an idea for storage. We have just had three and a half days of unbroken sunshine. Even pruned the roses. Cloudy now, 7 deg. C and falling. Our 5th frost in a row tonight, if it happens.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I don't think an entire car would but bonnets, doors and hardtops all fit in. Fine until the horse decides he wants a day out. Lazy so and so only came 6th out of 18 today so needs to get out more often.

Jumping, dressage, x country? 

48 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

Apologies in advance but I can't resist saying that I've always used an approximately 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen mix in my tyres with satisfactory results.😃

Or use nitrous oxide, at least that way when you get a puncture you would find it funny 😃

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Wagger said:

Colin, will a Herald fit inside your horse trailer? It just gave me an idea for storage. We have just had three and a half days of unbroken sunshine. Even pruned the roses. Cloudy now, 7 deg. C and falling. Our 5th frost in a row tonight, if it happens.

29 degrees C in my Eastbourne.
Had a lovely dip in the harbour, the southerly gives it a nice bite. No worries about Tsunamis

14 hours ago, chrishawley said:

Apologies in advance but I can't resist saying that I've always used an approximately 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen mix in my tyres with satisfactory results.😃

AND? It`s useful for welding too? (if you run out).🤣 (not serious!)

Pete