MAGNECOR Plug Leads

avivalasvegas

Was told that the Club shop leads had more resistance than my mechanic would like for my Gt6. After installing the W78 plugs, I'm now keen to replace them with the correct set of Magnecor leads. I'm attached an image of the Magencor UK catalogue for reference - should I purchase the Vitesse set? 

Many thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 6.56.54 PM.png

I use the 8.5mm red competition Magnecor leads on my GT6 and TR6. Both sets fitted many years ago and faultless ever since.

However, these red leads have no resistance, so I'm running with Bosch WR78 or NGK BUR6ET resistive multi electrode plugs. And it all works fine. It's a 'fit and forget' option for plug leads.

Nigel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

I use the 8.5mm red competition Magnecor leads on my GT6 and TR6. Both sets fitted many years ago and faultless ever since.

However, these red leads have no resistance, so I'm running with Bosch WR78 or NGK BUR6ET resistive multi electrode plugs. And it all works fine. It's a 'fit and forget' option for plug leads.

Nigel

I remember you sharing so Nigel - I'm sold and will get the KV85 (8.5mm). Just need to know which set is the right one to order?

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Hi Aviv, 

I bought a set of 8mm, I can't remember where from and seem to work fine with W78's and Pertronix Ignitor. I only bought a set because they were on offer and I had no idea what the PO had fitted. An easy tick box! 

Iain 

Cheers Iain! The GT6 loves the W78 plugs (installed today) and has a Magnetronic ignition system & a Lucas gold coil. The leads are the club shop leads that appear to have resistance. The Magnecors should remove this. 

club sell std  leads that look as originals but offer the same performance as high performance leads £28/£30

th magnecor are available as blue   £50/75for fast road   or red for competion   £60/£88

all 3 incl mags  are ferrite cored and are just 4 cyl or 6 cyl versions 

so it seems all you get in the end is a better spec insulation 

theblue says  nickel wire with ferrite core    the reds says stainless wire and ferrite core

I dont know how that mix helps do they  just look pretty 

Pete

Mr Retro leads makes quality sets. I know somebody who bought the 8.5mm versions from him, and they were made with Magnecor wire.... no guarantee that is always the case, but he has a great reputation (I have been VERY happy with a set he made for my car to custom lengths)

1. i have in all my years never had a  HT lead fail on any of the many many 31  cars ive owned and maintained since 1964 

whether it was a UK or euro origin the HT leads have never been the problem and some were quite old   

sorry but they are in my book one of the myths and must haves that are generally of no use 

spend the lolly on  better fuel it has more effect 

Pete

17 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I remember you sharing so Nigel - I'm sold and will get the KV85 (8.5mm). Just need to know which set is the right one to order?

Hi Aviv,

It's 20 years since I bought the Magnecor leads for my GT6, so I can't actually recall which set they were. I would expect the TR6 leads to be suitable but recommend you contract the club shop or Magnecor themselves.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

I have had a set of Magnacor 6007 8mm Electrosports 80 leads on my mk2 GT6 bought about ten years ago through the club shop.

Box states TR6 conventional distributor cap.

They are a nice blue colour, were handmade by 'Carol' and have been 100% reliable (so far).

I'm using them with a Pertronix Ignitor 2, a 45kV Flame thrower coil and Bosch W7-DTC plugs.

Ian

22 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Was told that the Club shop leads had more resistance than my mechanic would like for my Gt6. 

That's an 'interesting' allegation that I'd like to see expanded and explained further, please.

Thanks, 

Gully

2 hours ago, Gully said:

That's an 'interesting' allegation that I'd like to see expanded and explained further, please.

Thanks, 

Gully

Sadly, I didn't probe further. He simply said, "try to get a set of those fancy red performance leads everyone has, to make the most of those (W78) plugs". I've learnt not to ask too many questions with grumpy old timers who know their stuff.

The car has never run this well since my late 2019 purchase and its either down to his skill, the plugs, or both. 

Still running the cut-down Ford leads that came with the coil pack I bought from a scrapyard in about 2005…… they are resistive wire (though not very due to mostly being short) and run with resistive plugs. No bother in 60k (starts on cold damp mornings / revs to Smiths) and I expect they were 10 years old/100k miles when acquired……. Obviously a quality product!!

Nick

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I agree with Uncle Pete, never had one fail. My old ones were 30 years old, grey and looked a bit tatty so got some pretty green ones from the Club Shop. Made no difference. 

Dizzy cover and rotor arm, they ARE worth checking.

Doug 

Well timed this thread. I have just bought new dizzy cover and (red) rotor arm - not yet put into the car to test them one at a time to give me known working spares - and was thinking of getting a set of HT cables as well but reading the comments I think I'll not bother.

• 1 month later...
On 28/01/2022 at 10:59, clive said:

Mr Retro leads makes quality sets. I know somebody who bought the 8.5mm versions from him, and they were made with Magnecor wire.... no guarantee that is always the case, but he has a great reputation (I have been VERY happy with a set he made for my car to custom lengths)

Hi,

Mr Retro is a charlatan. He sold me fake Magnecor(R).
Corrupted my ECU memory.

He is the last person on earth you should deal with.
Magnecor(R) are pissed of with him, yet he still is peddling crap.

Great reputation for BULL**** is nothing I would be proud of. W****r.

Iain.

• Like 1