Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Looks like a leak to me. I think you will find it also dripping on the pedal and your feet. You can either fit new seals or a new cylinder. New cylinders are cheap enough and easier to fit than a new seal kit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KevinR said:

Looks like a leak to me. I think you will find it also dripping on the pedal and your feet. You can either fit new seals or a new cylinder. New cylinders are cheap enough and easier to fit than a new seal kit.

I'll order one right now!

Thanks!

If you want to do the same with the slave boot .......its   that tunnel again

Generally brake mechanical and rubber grease is a dull red colour

That looks a bit grimey  but it been in there a  long time , does stop the corrosion  .

Maybe time to fit new seals in the mcyl and slave .if the bores are clean

Pete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KevinR said:

Should i change the slave at the same time?

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

If you want to do the same with the slave boot .......its   that tunnel again

Generally brake mechanical and rubber grease is a dull red colour

That looks a bit grimey  but it been in there a  long time , does stop the corrosion  .

Maybe time to fit new seals in the mcyl and slave .if the bores are clean

Pete

I like the idea of doing the seals, but i know i'll be gutted if i get it all apart and find I need a new master cylinder anyway. Hmmmmmmmm

Prices vary a lot search around 

Series landrover have equivalents that are very cheap ,   to get OE with the angle reservoir ups the price , but a upright will work ok 

You dont have to brim the level right to  the top   amd if theres one with the plastic res you can see the level before you break down.

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anglefire said:

Sniff test. Grease will smell like well grease. Brake fluid won’t. And if you have some in a opened tin already you can compare the smells. Unless you already know the difference. Not sure I can describe the smells tbh 😳

What will the neighbours say!?
I think it looks like grease that is wet. It doesn't really smell of much at all.

IMG_3188.jpeg

When I bought my Spitfire (now about 20 years ago) it came with a box of receipts that included master and slave cylinder repair kits every year for the previous 5 years.  Yes, when I bought it, both cylinders were leaking.  I fitted new cylinders and haven’t had a problem since.  Adding up the price of the repair kits the DPO had bought over the years came to more than the cost of new cylinders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

Why not order 2 repair kits at the same time Paula? You can then rebuild the old ones and keep them as spares for emergency use......Also gives you something to do in case you get bored :) 

Tony.

I did for the slave. The master is obviously only a couple of years old so not really worth saving

50 minutes ago, KevinR said:

When I bought my Spitfire (now about 20 years ago) it came with a box of receipts that included master and slave cylinder repair kits every year for the previous 5 years.  Yes, when I bought it, both cylinders were leaking.  I fitted new cylinders and haven’t had a problem since.  Adding up the price of the repair kits the DPO had bought over the years came to more than the cost of new cylinders.

That’s economics! 

Good call.

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the 1600  and 2ltr are different diameters  7/8" and 1"   sorry not checked which ones which

7/8" is the 1600, although my 2L has 7/8" because it was a cheap fix for a long-standing tendency not to fully release.

• Like 1

I've just fitted a brand new, made-in-Taiwan slave cylinder – it was a couple or three thou too thick to fit in the bracket, but it went in ok after a couple of hours in the freezer. So buyer beware, but it can be done. I saw a NOS Girling slave cylinder on ebay yesterday, £20 bid on it at the time I think. Maybe it'd need new seals after all these years …?

Maybe that's old news about the new slave cylinder – I haven't posted for ages, been a bit otherwise engaged … :huh: