CTEK 3.8 or CTEK 5.0 Experiences and comments please

PaulBSpit1500

I have a 3.8 (Or whatever it was when I bought it some years ago) and it would be fine for a small car to trickle charge.

I also have a 25A CTEK 25 which I bought when I have to Land Rover so could set it to supply mode when doing the odd firmware update and it does charge the spitfire very quickly.

I have had a   Ctek fail  somewhere i think they have a lifetime warranty (not checked that) but subsequent to that i have a Lidl and Aldi units at less the £12 do what seems exactly 

the same job and have been reliable trickerlers for some 5 years 

none of the trickle /battery top up conditioners will recharge a flat battery  thats not what they are designed  for 

but   £ for £ the supermarket units are very good value 

I even bought some for Duxford raffle but we couldnt hold one this year....what a year   

Pete

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have had a CTEK 3.8S for several years and it keeps my GT6 battery in top condition for starting the car after long periods of hibernation.  I might be talking to Pete about his surplus stock of chargers as we now have 3 out of 4 family cars in hibernation because of Covid.   😉

• Haha 1

I’ve had a Cetek for close to 12 years now . Originally purchased to maintain 2 x 110 amp batteries on our caravan . The Cetek rating was for charging 225 amps . Faultless and now with the caravan gone enjoying retirement maintaining a Vitesse battery 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

I have a C-Tech (free with a mag subscription) for a good few years, but i also have three Aldi ones (don't ask) And i find those better. They seem to "fully" charge the battery if you know what i mean, and will start a car or mower after a long lay up. Aldi ones are one hell of lot cheaper as well.

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I have a C-Tech (free with a mag subscription) for a good few years, but i also have three Aldi ones (don't ask) And i find those better. They seem to "fully" charge the battery if you know what i mean, and will start a car or mower after a long lay up. Aldi ones are one hell of lot cheaper as well.

Tony. 

+ 1 for the Aldi device.

• Thanks 1

I've had a Ctek for 13+ years now and swear by it, wouldn't be without it. I was advised when I bought it to make sure that the surface it was sitting on allows it to keep cool as they don't take kindly to overheating, mine rests on the windscreen wiper blade and has never been a problem.  I have the dedicated "traffic light" connector hard-wired to the battery, more outlay but less of a faff connecting. The BIG advantage with the ctek is,of course, you don't have to disconnect the battery from the car. I also have the aldi charger, fantastic value but my understanding is that you must disconnect, correct me if I'm wrong... A sound investment, money well spent.

Strangely, I too have both, a C-tek, bought originally to keep the BMW Motorcycle Charged during winter layup. (replaced under warranty when "someone" inadvertently chucked a blanket over it and it expired!) And an early day Aldi jobby which was used for keeping the R-V batteries up to speed, before I put Solar panels on it. Both do a good enough job. However for the last few years I am using a couple of 15w (£15 @ Aldi) solar panels which do the job of maintaing the two batteries on the "shelf" one of which was on the Herald when it arrived as a "kit" back in 2015. Even in the current December "gloom" they manage to keep the batteries from dropping below 12.7v. Note; the batteries have to start out fully charged. The Current Motorhome has 200w of solar panels on it`s roof and a volt sensitive charging system, so it is self contained, They where outputting 16v last week again in gloomy conditions. I`ve never disconected the batteries when maintanance charging, but do IF I ever have to use the 200w Boost Charger.

Mine of course would have to be awkward and is a C-TEK X5 3600 or something like that. I don't use it on a battery in the car but always have spares on the shelf which are kept topped up. I just hang it on the wall on a hook over the shelf. The only problem I've found is the push buttons for settings have become erratic, so it takes maybe five or six good presses before the lights change to the preferred setting.

On 10/12/2020 at 23:13, PaulBSpit1500 said:

But which one 3.8 or 5.0 ?

Mine is a 3.8, it says on the front 12v/3.8amp so the other one must be 5 amps. Do you need the extra omph? Probably not on your puny vehicle.

And no you can't borrow it, not with your track record of breaking my stuff.

db

• Haha 1

Dougbgt6

Cheek, puny indeed but a cockpit allowing wind in your hair and open to the sunshine. As for your stuff, never broken any of it , nothing you have I require except for you help and knowledge on occasional topics which is very much appreciated. Now as for borrowing I recall loaning you the engine oil drainer and on its return there was the missing pipe!  “I don’t have the pipe I gave it to you back” the pipe that was later found by you several days later on top of your kitchen microwave! 🤭

PB

2 hours ago, PaulBSpit1500 said:

Such a traumatic event erased from my memory, you were probably teasing me and deserved it 😂 to be honest I never recall Dad belting either of us.

PB

Ooh it's on, should be an interesting family Christmas part Ha! & a GT6 vs Spitfire a lively discussion. 

• Haha 1

Just to clarify a point:

Aldi battery charger: page 22 in the instruction book states: " If the battery that you wish to charge is connected in the vehicle, first disconnect the vehicle's negative terminal connection cable (black) from the battery's negative terminal before the charging or trickle charging process. " 

The ctek is safe to connect to the vehicle as it is without causing damage to the alternator or whatever. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 17:01, derekskill said:

Just to clarify a point:

Aldi battery charger: page 22 in the instruction book states: " If the battery that you wish to charge is connected in the vehicle, first disconnect the vehicle's negative terminal connection cable (black) from the battery's negative terminal before the charging or trickle charging process. " 

The ctek is safe to connect to the vehicle as it is without causing damage to the alternator or whatever. 

Ooops, i never read the manual...... But in saying that i have been using two Aldi ones the same as C-Tech and not had any problems.

Tony.

I used the "original" Aldi one on the American Camper for several years, never had issue with the Alternator. Until it expired in France on the way to Spain. Sourced one from Belgium, and had it delivered to a French Campsite. It`s an interesting experience, Driving with a 4Kw generator running to keep the battery charged!.

Pete.