Oil filter blown off! Care with filter thread size!

richhl

Just had an (too) exciting Sunday afternoon - on starting up my 2L Mk3 Spit (GT6 Mk2 conv) I had the oil filter get blown off (spin on adapter type).. Newly replaced oil everywhere, fortunately had tray under the car that caught most of it. Unfortunately I didn't do the usual and assure pressure turning over first as I usually do, engine ran for probably 2 mins before I stopped it. My bad, I thought pressure gauge issue and I wasn't watching the oild light as I have the speedo out... Didn't get to pump out all the oil, about half, and no load running so now not sure of possible bearings damage....

On inspection I had a wrong filter (or badly manufactured).. although had used this type previously, this is a Mann W 71328, I have now successfully fitted a WIX WL7074. The inner diameter of the thread on the WIX filter is at least 1mm smaller (tighter overlap) than the MANN filter which explains it. When I refitted the MANN filter and over tightened it I was able to get the threads to jump.

Anyway, with the new filter have had the engine up to temp with no apparent side effects or noises so far, oil pressure good as before (60 - 80 psi). Any thoughts on whether I should drop the sump and have a look???

Your thoughts and inputs welcome.. from now on I will check the filter internal dia before fitting..

Cheers, Richard.

The BAD filter:

20210117_194019.thumb.jpg.163edcd1290590d3df2e1a1c33c6f497.jpg

The good filter:

20210117_193859.thumb.jpg.82de93d4c85058d42e8baf073f645e8c.jpg

The oil spill:

20210117_165220_HDR.thumb.jpg.5f721b61d07a0739ba0f41e3249d1c36.jpg

no ,,   rest easy on any ideas of sumps off  its just run a while with less than best lubrication , so sleep easy

this may be wrong thoughts ??  but  here is the down fall of playing around with non specified filters  and mythical obsessions of oil drain back 

why people worry about the filter when the rest of the engine drains off amuses me ( sorry getting bored with lockdown  Ha ) 

Pete

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Lotus Elise and Elite, MG Rover and MGF, according to my cross-references. 

It's listed for just about everything Colin, but has an anti drain back in it. (sorry Pete) they are good filters Mann and it is the correct thread :) Sorry are you talking about the one that fell off Colin?

Tony. 

Well that would be enough excitement for one day.

Around 20 yrs ago heading back to the office I  was following an unknown to me roundtail Spitfire thro the beach suburb of St Kilda here in Melbourne when he stopped very suddenly, I pulled in behind to see if I could help, the driver explained his oil pressure just dropped, on opening the bonnet it was obvious the oil filter was off lodged near the suspension turrent oil everywhere and half the screw in adapter was still in the filter.

Having a Spit also  I asked was he using a modified adapter/filter he responded yes a local Triumph guru?? ( not popular with us Trumpeteers) had provided it and he was on his way home, obviously the adapter wasn't up to it and sheared at the filter to block joint, it was too thin, overtightened or something, funnily enough I'd picked up 3 very rare but original Coopers Spitfire oil filters with adapters just a few days previous from a getting rid of old stock sale, and they were still in the boot. We removed the old adapter remnants and fitted a new original filter got some oil from a local garage and fired her up, IT WAS TERRIBLE a real set of hammers. The  driver arranged a low loader to get home, I advised he  should take the supplier on for full restitution as the adapter wasn't fit for purpose the two threads ran up to each other no shank length or hex between the different threads, I never heard how he got on, but advised our club members to be aware and only get the adapters from a good resource, not a back street charlie, specifically this back street charlie!

I recently brought 4 modified adapters from a NZ machine shop he was advertising in the NZ "Trade Me", delivered they cost a measly $10 each, there of good quality with a short hex shank between threads, delivery was a little slow as he had to make them and Covid Mail issues. I only needed one for a Spit 1500 engine I was building up for the daughters car, but good to have spares in case one gets thrown away with the filter, and if need be help others.

18 hours ago, clive said:

Not the filters fault, it has the wrong size thread https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Oil Filter/W 713~28 says it is 13/16 thread, bigger than the correct 3/4UNF. 

The wix is indeed a 3/4 thread filter. Almost any ford, and many VW etc filters will work.

This might have been done before - but, if not, why not have an oil filter cross reference 'look up' table on the Forum pages somewhere ?

Gav

49 minutes ago, trigolf said:

This might have been done before - but, if not, why not have an oil filter cross reference 'look up' table on the Forum pages somewhere ?

Gav

With the filters it would be difficult. You can get a super neat short filter (I recently posted it on here) that would suit these engines, and handily small filters fill quicker too, so drainback is less of an issue (and the filter has a one-way valve,) But most people simply buy from their preferred supplier. Wheras those with a bit of nouse buy a quality, branded filter, usually at a much better price! The troublesome filter is the 4 cylinder version with the original stud, "classic gold" are about the only supplier, which is not of any quality as far as I am aware. Change the stud to a 3/4 adapter and you have a choice of hundreds of filters. And I did import 30 of those adaptors, I may have made a fiver profit absolute tops on the whole lot. But too much grief to do again.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a rant.

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Nicks quite right  from  many of the triumph service schedules  is filter change every other oil change 

again all down to personal preference 

filters have far more capacity then most of us will use 

Pete

I have to say, like yourselves i only change the filters every second time. I am sometimes tempted to do the same with the oil as it comes out clean, but  can't bring myself to chance it.

Tony.  

16 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i think very few of us wear the oil out 

Pete

It's deterioration from age that I worry about rather than the very low mileage mine do. I was always a great believer in regular engine oil changes although mostly on my moderns - the Triumphs get it once a year. To me, oil was cheaper to replace than an engine.

Yep. Temperature. Oil temperature gauge is a relatively recent addition and gives something extra to worry about.

To be fair, 135 C has only been seen on the track with sustained full throttle and 4500 - 6500 rpm (rises from 60C to 135ish in 15 minute session and still climbing!).

I’ve not seen it above 120C on the road and that wasn’t in the UK. UK use max seems to be about 110C, which is why I’m resisting an oil cooler. Not much room for one on a Vitesse anyway - considering ducting some airflow to blow over the sump as it’s tucked behind the x-member. The exhaust collector being almost in contact probably doesn’t help either!