Holes

cliff.b

Just goes to prove? The broad spectrum of age, would suggest that "we" belong to the "make do and mend" age of the post WW2 austerity?. I still darned my socks, right up until about 1980. When I left the M-N. I`l bet if I look, I still have a wooden "mushroom"!!. Problem now will be getting the darning material with most socks no longer being wool?.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Just goes to prove? The broad spectrum of age, would suggest that "we" belong to the "make do and mend" age of the post WW2 austerity?. I still darned my socks, right up until about 1980. When I left the M-N. I`l bet if I look, I still have a wooden "mushroom"!!. Problem now will be getting the darning material with most socks no longer being wool?.

You have to unpick the most worn out sock Pete and use that :) I used sit for hours with my gran doing that.

Tony.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Socks are great for putting over your hands ....

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

Problem now is being supple enough in the mornings to put them on 👴

Chris, I think that Colin has the right idea??

Wow, I think this has to be one of the most obscure thread drift I have seen so far. Sill holes to waxes to groundwater contamination, recycling bottles to socks on hands! Are these the 5 ages of triumph ownership? Is all we have to look forward to is sock on our hands I our dotage?

On 05/05/2021 at 22:48, cliff.b said:

My ex wife was like that but after we divorced and she had to pay her own bills she changed completely. She even invested in a new lower wattage kettle to save electricity lol

No point buying a low wattage kettle unless you have a power limit- such as a caravan or are self sufficient in electric. The specific heat capacity of water doesn’t change so it requires the same amount of energy regardless. 
In theory a lower wattage kettle will actually use more electric overall due to higher losses (all things otherwise equal) over time. 
The best way to save money when boiling water is to only boil what you need. 

7 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

No point buying a low wattage kettle unless you have a power limit- such as a caravan or are self sufficient in electric. The specific heat capacity of water doesn’t change so it requires the same amount of energy regardless. 
In theory a lower wattage kettle will actually use more electric overall due to higher losses (all things otherwise equal) over time. 
The best way to save money when boiling water is to only boil what you need. 

Exactly, that's what I found so amusing lol. Like the wife of a friend of mine many years ago thought she was being very clever & lowering her gas bill by leaving the airing cupboard door open to use the heat that was in there to help warm upstairs 🤔

• Haha 1

Just goes to prove that the laws of Physics still apply.  What goes in - losses = what comes out.

One of the early "advantages" of the ICE, was the fact that it cut out the middle man (the steam producer). Now of course we are re-introducing the middle man (the power generation source).

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Just goes to prove that the laws of Physics still apply.  What goes in - losses = what comes out.

One of the early "advantages" of the ICE, was the fact that it cut out the middle man (the steam producer). Now of course we are re-introducing the middle man (the power generation source).

Pete

I think that in reality, the middle man has just moved. ICE needs fuel which is produced by a third party and then delivered at speed at the point of delivery. With EV's the fuel is still produced by a third party, but the delivery is slow due to the size of the pipe available and energy density.

20 hours ago, Adrian said:

Wow, I think this has to be one of the most obscure thread drift I have seen so far. Sill holes to waxes to groundwater contamination, recycling bottles to socks on hands! Are these the 5 ages of triumph ownership? Is all we have to look forward to is sock on our hands I our dotage?

To be fair, this isn't the first forum I have read that references holes, KY jelly & socks on hands in the same thread 😁

27 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

To be fair, this isn't the first forum I have read that references holes, KY jelly & socks on hands in the same thread 😁

Aah you must have strayed onto the "other" site Cliff.

Alf.

On 05/05/2021 at 07:45, PeteH said:

Turn back the clock, 1950`s, and Dad would spray his old engine oil on everything under the car!!. It was parked outside on the road too, the road suface outside our house must have been lethal!

Pete

i think the trick was to spray oil underneath then drive down a dusty road to seal it in place till next year.
At least that's what they used to do in NZ where there was plenty of metal roads.
You dad obviously didn't own a Triumph as we all know they do it automatically.

Adrian

• Haha 2

I remember my dad working on my old car in the 70s. Oil everywhere, rags soaked in petrol, you get the idea, lit fag in his mouth. Never mind the danger of fire, what on earth did hot tobacco smoke  mixed with heated oil/petrol vapour do to his lungs?

8 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I remember my dad working on my old car in the 70s. Oil everywhere, rags soaked in petrol, you get the idea, lit fag in his mouth. Never mind the danger of fire, what on earth did hot tobacco smoke  mixed with heated oil/petrol vapour do to his lungs?

Same here, the local 'quack' mechanic was a guy called Billy Craig, not a tooth in his head and fag always in the mouth, working away on my father's Hillman Minx. I'm amazed that he lived so long.