herald or vitesse ?

dave49

Well, Heralds are cheaper than Vitesses.

Have You somewhere sheltered to keep it? You don't want to be keeping a convertible outside! 

I have a GT6, it just about keeps up with the traffic, well, Fiestas. Vitesses are much the same, faster than Heralds. 

Why not have 2 cars? :)

I find the allure of a convertible fleeting, a trip in my brother's Spitfire lasts me a LONG time! :lol:

Doug

I have a 13/60 convertible and love it. Yes a Vitesse would be quicker but I don't need that extra, although on rare occasions it could be useful.

In practice I don't find I have a problem keeping up with traffic, ok so in outright acceleration it isn't the top.

I have the convertible for the pleasure of driving an open top not asports car.

Like ChrisA I have a 13/60 cv  and really enjoy the open top aspect, however, it is all sorted now and I fancy another 'project' so am looking for a vitesse cv that needs a bit fettling. 

I would regard that as a step forward....?? Upward....??. Problem is, what next... stag?

I recomend just going for the 13/60cv or even a 1200cv, depending on how 'hands on' you are.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Oh p.s. I have a spare hardtop if your stuck outdoors :)

I think the pros-cons of the Vitesse are:

Its faster, has more engine torque, great engine sound, better interior, better looking bonnet,

But has poorer handling due to weight distribution, limited engine cooling capacity and the drivetrain is overly stressed...

1 hour ago, johny said:
1 hour ago, johny said:

Its faster, has more engine torque, great engine sound, better interior, better looking bonnet,

The Herald is capable of exceeding the speed limits so no point being faster. Once the engine is warm my 13/60 will pull away in 2nd and 4th is good from less than 30 to max, don't need more.

In a convertible you can't here the engine sound, just the sound of the birds,wind in the trees and the compliments of people walking nearby.

You are more concentrated on looking through the windscreen to notice the interior and you are sat on some of it.

As for the bonnet the bit that is different isn't visible from the driver's seat.

Ok, I'm biased.

Yes a difficult choice, I opted for the Herald because in 1970 I learned to drive, and passed my test in one although it was a saloon not convertible

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

I opted for the Herald because in 1970 I learned to drive, and passed my test in one although it was a saloon not convertible

Snap.! Courtesy of the (then) British Scool of Motoring. January 1961, Took my test in a "Sleet" Storm, Managed to keep it straight when the examiner hit the dash with his papers to indicate I should "emergency stop". After the "pass" the instructer dropped me at the bus station to go home!. It was another year before I got my first, a Ford Thames 5cwt Van, so still riding the Motorbike to work etc;.

Pete

Well i have both a Herald 13/60 cv and a Vitesse cv,i like to tinker so the Vitesse (owned for 36 years) is now a tuned 2.5L putting out 170 ish bhp,that will keep up with most things on the road.

Herald is now a 1500 with o/d and a 3:63 diff.Perfectly driveable with enough grunt.

I actually find the Herald a bit easier to drive because of the lightness compared to the Vitesse.

Steve

thanks to all .still non the wiser lol.dont want a vitesse for the speed.just thinking about being out in the sun.shame you cant convert one.if that was the option id stick with my herald.also i note the vitesse is a bit more upmarket but ive heard many conflicting reports about reliability etc.

herald.jpg

all the cars are reliable if you do as triumph designed  they took families hundreds of holiday miles and frequent shopping and comute trips without any problems 

in in 18 years of classic ownership and 57 years of driving  only once been recovered when a diff front mounting plate bolt unscrewed and jammed the prop 

there is no reason a vitesse is any better or worse than a hearld , if driven more sporty then wear and tear can take its toll .. with either  model

like everything after all the years , if you lookafter it will repay with a smile .

advantage of a tin top is they dont fill up with rain 

if you fit a webasto style roof  to your Herald  make sure you get a front air spoiler or its a just a noisy waste of time with a lot of buffeting the wifes boufant  Ha !

Pete

54 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Dave,

Be careful that the car you buy started life as a convertible. It's easy to take the top off and you've got a convertible! Well no you haven't, but some people do it.

Doug

Timely warning from Doug and yes it happens; in fact there are entire Internet threads on how to do it and why it saves you hundreds over a real convertible. Some of the cars for sale online are actually listed as being the best of both Worlds, and indeed you can find articles on it:

http://www.spitfireg1.f9.co.uk/15-02-2005/conversion/hardway.htm

There are all sorts of argument as to why it should or should not be done, how it makes no difference to safety etc etc. I just wouldn't do it myself but that's personal choice. Make sure the commission number (plate on the side of the front bulkhead just where the bonnet catches are) ends in CV. DL is a saloon.

3 hours ago, dave49 said:

also i note the vitesse is a bit more upmarket but ive heard many conflicting reports about reliability etc.

Agree with Pete about reliabilty,these cars are reliable as anything if maintained and more importantly USED.

My Vitesse has only ever broken down once,a snapped driveshaft in Cornwall,that was probably due to torque from the2.5 engine,probably outside the design specs of the shaft.

Similarly with the Herald,i would take it anywhere.

Steve

I've owned a few 13.60 Heralds and more than a few Vitesse. Currently own a mk2 Vitesse convertible. I think I would prefer a tuned Herald convertible, just feels lighter and more nimble. The Vitesse does feel heavy in comparison to me. Convertibles are as floppy as a wet lettuce, in my opinion, probably more noticeable in the heavier Vitesse convertible. Saloons feel more solid in both models. Nice sounding straight six with nice torque.  A tuned 13.60 would give a Vitesse a run for its money.

If a hobby car go for a Vitesse, no substitute for cc's so they say, as soon as you tune a car taking it beyond manufacturers spec engine and drive train can suffer reliability issues. If you then start upgrading them, well where does it end, when you're pockets are empty?.

Regards

Paul