Electronic ignition “upgrade”

Rockape

Apologies if this is a repeat post - had a look through and couldn’t see anything 

I have a 1298cc Spitfire Mk3 1968 with original distributor and other ignition components 

has anyone fitted the electronic ignition components as sold by the TSSC shop.? Seems a reasonable price but does it actually make any difference (ease of starting, reliability etc and so on)

thanks

I have fiited Pertronix (the club sells then, with the Aldon sticker added) on a few cars, probably 25 years total time and about 100K added together.

Not one single issue.

And given the problems finding anything remotely decent quality in terms of points and condensers, it is a wise move.

The cheapest source of Pertronix used to be the retrorockets site. A USA site, but they ship from the guildford area....

• Like 1

RA,

Electronic ignitions can fail, but this is rare. Best not to buy a cheap one, the rotating bit which triggers the sensor can be poorly made and the triggering bits not be 90 degrees apart (for a 4 pot).

However you will be OK with a Club Shop one, although sometimes expensive the shop are keen on quality. 

If you want to search the forum use the search option top right. If searching for electronic ignition type "electronic ignition" and it will search for the phrase rather than the individual words.  Won't tell you how long it took me to figure that out!

Oh, and even if mine failed I would install another. However I carry the old points, condenser, screws and screwdriver in a plastic bag under the passenger seat, just in case.

When you install it the timing will most likely need to be re-set. 

Doug

I had an acuspark version. Seemed ok at idle but had a significant delay over points and condenser on acceleration. I contacted accuspark about the issue and I got quite a threatening response. Wouldn’t recommend Accuspark for those reasons - up to you though. 
There was an article in the courier about Dizzies - and I quite fancy a ignition-123. They range from about £300, but I would have to get the Tacho converted to electronic.  Otherwise, you can have your original version converted for ~£500.  I can’t really justify the money, but maybe one day…  
Hope you get something that works well for you. :)

I have used Pertronix (Alton) Ignitor and the Simon BBC Powerspark on Herald, Stag and TR4..... all have worked well as ‘points replacement’ systems.

Yes, they can fail, but keeping points bits (or spare Powerspark they are so cheap) is an insurance.

i have now swapped out the Powerspark for a 123Ignition tune+ which I find to be very very good, significantly smoother and I have been able to tweak the advance curve (4a curve was my starting point before small changes) - it is, unfortunately, at the other end of the price-range but I’m happy.

......Andy

I switched the Vitesse (Lucas) & Spitfire (Delco) to the cheap Accuspark units years ago BUT I did buy additional units in case, but have never needed them, there better than the points system & seem adequate for normal use. In the Dolly Sprint I use Luminition Magnetronic (Ex club) as it was the only unit that fitted inside the original dist cap, I tried an Acccuspark unit but it needed a different dist cap & rotar, not indicated by supplier, it was a bad arrangement and fixture, I complained to Accu who weren't helpful at all!

I've got all three!

The GT6 is on Lumenition because, many years ago, it was diagnosed with 20 degrees scatter on the ignition, due to a worn shaft/bearing in the Delco distributor. Lumenition is far less sensitive to such things and has run reliably for decades on that car.

The Vitesse had a Lumenition fitted at some point but the PO had removed it. It's perfectly happy on points and doesn't wear them out particularly quickly (as in, I can't remember when I last had to change them).

The Spitfire had a problem with the spade terminals falling off, then with iffy points, then developed a persistent and incurable tendency for the mechanical advance to stick fully on (and cause it to refuse to start). In desperation I bought one of the cheap Delco replacement Accuspark distributors off eBay. So far that's worked perfectly.

I've used Aldon Ignitor on my GT6 for over 20 years, never had a problem. My Scimitar has been running fine with Accuspark for about 6 years. The two cars have covered 40-50,000 miles between them with these ignition systems. Both give easy starting, smooth idling and crisp throttle response.

It's worth noting that the above ignition systems have Hall effect magnetic sensors. I've also used Lumenition on a Stag and Piranha on the GT6 previously. Both are optically triggered and both failed. The Stag and GT6 are known for high under bonnet temperatures... It's tempting to conclude that Hall effect sensors tolerate high temperatures better.

Nigel

I bought the luminition from the club shop for my Herald. Really made a difference from the moment I switched on. More power more acceleration and no points to worry about fully recommend buying on from the shop. What ever you do do not buy a cheap unit. Been there.

Andrew 

HMS wasnt so lucky  but on  car  Hoods stick to Mohair 

and on ignition  ive used aldon and lumenition all very reliable  

its imperative  you re time the dizzy after  fitting any  make of electronic unit 

as there is no correlation between where the points cam follower sits compared to the trigger  unit

Pete

7 hours ago, Rockape said:

Thanks very much for all the useful responses 

on to a different part of the forum now to talk about hoods ! 

My vote is to (1) by from Don Hoods (the club supplies DH hoods) and (2) I very much like the OE quality vinyl. I have fitted them to our mk3 and mkIV, bothe fitted nicely, supplied with poppers etc. You just need a popper tool.

Mohair look nice, but for  car that gets used etc etc OE vinyl is very tolerant. doesn't fade and easy to live with.

29 minutes ago, clive said:

My vote is to (1) by from Don Hoods (the club supplies DH hoods) and (2) I very much like the OE quality vinyl. I have fitted them to our mk3 and mkIV, bothe fitted nicely, supplied with poppers etc. You just need a popper tool.

Mohair look nice, but for  car that gets used etc etc OE vinyl is very tolerant. doesn't fade and easy to live with.

I'm glad to hear that; I need a hood for the Herald 13/60 but didn't want anything fancy, just functional.