Coping with storms.

Wagger

24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Dick to show me

Would love to help but not much better down here! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-60435309

Wagger mentioned the storm in 1987; was at sea South of the Isle of Wight and charged East to a Mayday off Eastbourne.  They cancelled it when we arrived so about turn and a gentle roll back overnight to Portsmouth to find one of the ship's boats had been torn out of it's davits.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

That is a significant problem with nylon rope.

My long ladder is roped to hooks screwed into ceiling joists in the garage. All above the GT6.  Nylon rope, tied in reef knots. Well, I think they're reef knots. What could possibly go wrong? :o

Back in a minute!

Doug

Up Here we are still awaiting the worst of it alleged to be in the next hour or so. Quite breezy outside, but they say no  more than 70(ish) F 11 to 12.

Dick, we lost a full gangway ladder once dodging around off Bilbao, the Spanish wouldnt let us try and dock. Weired sky earlier, (pinkish hue). often associated with the eye of  Hurricanes.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

my aiviary roof is on the move . not like Dougs daughters car port but just old timber etc 

held the end down with some aldi nylon rope but i need some boy scout or captain Dick to show me 

some knots as the silly stuf just wont self grip , the more you knot the more it decides to slide undone Grr.

its calming then a  severe  whooosh 

Pete

Pete, I just make a loop at each end of the nylon with a double twist slip knot. (That's the only one I know as is like half a reef or granny). Then I loop it round & round and hook the Looped ends over summat.

5 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Pete, I just make a loop at each end of the nylon with a double twist slip knot. (That's the only one I know as is like half a reef or granny). Then I loop it round & round and hook the Looped ends over summat.

FIgure of 8 Knots work reasonably well on nylon/polymer rope too. https://www.animatedknots.com/figure-8-knot

Pete

thanks guys  im not going out any more till tomorrow 

the aviary roof is over 8ft so needs my long stepladder and going up that in a F11 is  at my age disaster waiting to happen 

the tweets  are all tucked up inside the cabin with heaters on so they're happy

its only going to be 60 on saturday   so  a mere doddle 

Adrians chimney pot is far more exciting  ..not   he was lucky but a heck of a repair now needed 

Pete

After a morning sat at the PC in Teams meetings, listening to the breeze 'freshen', I wandered into the car port around 1pm to see one end of a fence panel had popped out of it's post (flexing in the wind) and was rattling about 100mm from the side of my GT6! Only the car port guttering and roof edge was keeping it off the car... Car is now out on the driveway.

Lost another couple of fence panels during the afternoon and one fence post (concrete post fitted a few years ago with insufficient postcrete).

Gully 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Reported 122kts off the Isle of Wight, provisionally a new (unwanted) record for the UK.

In 1987, the wind speed measuring device at Shoreham by Sea's harbour was broken by the storm so the speed was never recorded. It was merely logged at maximum speed. May have been 120 knots!

That storm had many down drafts in it with mini tornados. I lost three cyprus trees and two garden walls, plus the roof edge tiles. A ridge tile landed on the bonnet of the Dolomite too.

amazed to see some idiots walking the proms with waves crashing over  . if they got washed over who was going to attempt a rescue

just thoughtless pratts luckily its much calmer this saturday morning  gives us all time to reflect and examine around us 

my thoughts go out to those with serious escapes from the ferocity of Eunice   

3 have died  . the plan to stop at home cant always be adhered but it was a bit silly to go out but i guess some just had too 

all the best 

Pete

13 hours ago, Wagger said:

In 1987, the wind speed measuring device at Shoreham by Sea's harbour was broken by the storm so the speed was never recorded. It was merely logged at maximum speed. May have been 120 knots!

That storm had many down drafts in it with mini tornados. I lost three cyprus trees and two garden walls, plus the roof edge tiles. A ridge tile landed on the bonnet of the Dolomite too.

Back then, I was living on my converted Scottish MFV in Brighton Marina. Slept through it, but woken in the morning by the unearthly noise of all the yacht shrouds howling in the wind. Still managed to make it to work in Portslade, dodging the debris along the seafront road.   

We appear to have missed the worst here in the North West. No significant damage, just a few garden bits a pieces blown about. Horrendous stuff around the country. As for those swimmers....speechless. Should have just left them to the elements. Why put others lives ar risk?? Full marks to all the emergency services, power line workers, council workers who had to go out to clear roads, rescue people, restore power etc. Not something I would want to do.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Snowing here now and although cold it's calm. Hope you guys are all ok - we seem to have missed the brunt over here but some of the news footage was scary.

Wagger - how's the Dolomite? Any damage?

That was the 1987 one Colin. Filled the bonnet. First wife inherited that one, as it was newer, I kept the much better 1850.

Vitesse is safe in the garage.

All ok here now, but neighbours have fences to repair and Jim with the Porche needs new car covers.

This was a bad one and we are expecting more wind this week down here.

1 hour ago, mark powell said:

Back then, I was living on my converted Scottish MFV in Brighton Marina. Slept through it, but woken in the morning by the unearthly noise of all the yacht shrouds howling in the wind. Still managed to make it to work in Portslade, dodging the debris along the seafront road.   

Hi Mark. In 1987 I lived at Henfield, a lovely Village 12 miles North of Shoreham, Sx. Could not get to work in Lancing for two days due to fallen trees. Power was off for 11 days. On return to work, the gable end of the factory had been blown in and the 12 inch 'I' section roof girders were bent 180 degrees. The night shift at Link-Miles had a narrow escape.

I have hated the wind since August 1956 when I watched a storm destroy our garden full of fruit trees. Three inch diameter branches were being blown horizontally until being caught by other trees, All of the wire fences became hedges. I was 9 yrs old. It has left a permanent impression.

Bloody SNOWING here too now. I`m hoping it will stop before "doggy walking".

In the 1987 one, we drove all the way from Yeovil, to Hull to attend an Uncles Funeral, Several "detours" through the levels just to get on the M5.

Whilst one life lost is too many, is amazing that the outcome is so low. when you see the number of "near miss".

I understand one Wind Turbine ripped right out of the ground? concrete base and all .

Pete

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Wonder if they shut them down under very high wind events to stop them over speeding, we destroyed a small hydro when the guard valve controlling the water flow rate failed.

They are rested by stopping them if they overheat. If they are 'Braked' to a standstill in a very strong wind then the force on the tower must be greater than if left to rotate. They must not over-speed or they could disintegrate. If they were variable pitch they could be set to align with the wind.

I am guessing at most of this. Somebody will know.

12 hours ago, Wagger said:

They are rested by stopping them if they overheat. If they are 'Braked' to a standstill in a very strong wind then the force on the tower must be greater than if left to rotate. They must not over-speed or they could disintegrate. If they were variable pitch they could be set to align with the wind.

I am guessing at most of this. Somebody will know.

We have quite a few locally, ugly damn things, 12 alone visible from our old house and all up and down this East Coast and lterally dozens and potentially hundreds out in the North Sea. In high winds they appear to be feathered?. I know when they are not in service they rotate very slowly, which I am given to understand, is to stop the bearings from impacting the races?. I don`t think they are ever "braked", except perhaps for Maintenance work to be carried out?.