Found in the sump.

Pdv

Hi All,

I started to clean my replacement engine today, it had obviously been leaking oil for quite some time as it came covered in oil mixed with dirt, such that I could scrape it off with a putty knife. Reason for the leak, the sump bolts were not done up tight.

So having removed the sump there was a residue of oil left and as I drained it into a tub this fell out with the oil.

I really don't know what it may have come from, the engine is a 1500 which would have been fitted to the Dolomite 1500 cars.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

20221022_165446.thumb.jpg.5f0ab8225ad56cdc5dc32dc605c476c4.jpg

The only spring of that sorta size which comes to mind (within an engine) is that of the pressure relief valve. 

I don't know what type of timing chain tensioner you have in that engine, but this spring looks too small for that (..bearing in mind only those I'm familiar with). 

Pete

How the ¥¢={° did that get into the sump?   The spring is on the other side of the valve from any access to the sump.    Unless the valve, or it's seating had broken up, but you will find out when you go to replace it.  OR, someone put it in the wrong way around!

John

Hi All,

Well having removed the valve this is what I  found.

Not the same length, obviously or width?, also when I undid the valve it took just a tap on the spanner to move it and little effort to undo it, so been undone in the past.

Makes you wonder what else I will come across. 

Thanks 

Steve  

20221023_113005.jpg

Not a great idea to use an "uprated" spring as it only controls the oil pressure to be in the correct range. Too high an oil pressure is not helpful at all. And as low oil pressure is caused by (usually) worn crank bearings, it won't improve that at all. Unless the spring is knackered, in which case a new standard spring is all that is required. 

I have 2 Blue (and white) ones twice a day?, along with................................................... A shed load (well 4) "others". Occasionally the Pharmacy change them to yellow, just for the hell of it I think?.

P.S. anyone else keep getting the E-Mails offering performance enhancing medications?. My Spam box seems to be full of it.

Pete

23 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I have 2 Blue (and white) ones twice a day?, along with................................................... A shed load (well 4) "others". Occasionally the Pharmacy change them to yellow, just for the hell of it I think?.

P.S. anyone else keep getting the E-Mails offering performance enhancing medications?. My Spam box seems to be full of it.

Pete

I don't look  :) - but I have had two texts that say they are from the NHS and that there is a letter that I need to read - with a helpful link.  Given that I am waiting for one, I thought I'd have a look later as I was at work and very busy - forgot and got the second a few days later. Being a bit more awake I thought very odd. So checked the NHS app - nothing! So it is another scam - makes my blood boil - not for me, I very rarely click on that sort of link regardless, but for others that are not necessarily that untrusting and cynical.

Lost a piston once, big hole in the side of the block but no piston outside the engine.
Once the engine had cooled down I put my hand in the hole but still no piston.
We all know a piston will not drop into a sump with a baffle plates so where was the piston.
Started to strip the engine down to remove what was left of the engine and I found the piston.
It was in one of the airfilters in lots of tiny pieces.
Valves were probably shot as well.